Mastering the Marquess (Bound and Determined…

Mastering the Marquess (Bound and Determined Book 1)

by Lavinia Kent

Mastering The Marquess (Bound And Determined #1) was the first book I've read from Lavinia Kent, and the author did not disappoint. I found the lead characters likable, the few supporting characters OK, with the exception of the countess who is our adversary, and she does a good job making you not like her. I did not get a historical feel from the book, the language, treatment of women, and the sexual scenes seemed much more modern then the time period the author was shooting for. The use of titles, some of the clothing descriptions, and the hinted at form of birth control, did lend itself to a much older time period.

The author had some very sensual scenes, like the deflowering of Louisa, the lust between the characters, and the descriptions of Geoffrey’s heightened sexual states. The story had all of the current elements, attractive lead characters, lust, angst, need, passion, wealth, a slight age difference between the H/h, the jealous adversary, misunderstandings, humor, family drama and danger.

For me all the elements just fit together well, the overall story was not complex or hard to follow, the sexual encounters were hot, and the HEA as expected.

The book was provided by NetGalley on behalf of Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept - with an expected Pub Date of July 29 2014

For me this was an enjoyable, hot 4 star read

kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |
Eager to start, dreading to finish! All sweet and innocent while all-knowing and thriving.

One night was what started it all....

Geoffrey was not ashamed of what his sexual preferences were, just preferred to being discreet with his internal affairs.
Widower, Louisa seeks help ridding herself of her virginity in a discreet arrangement, because already two years after her husband's death, she thought it was time to move on and remarry, as well as have children.
Madam Rouges decides that the Marquess, Geoffrey, would be the best candidate to take care of her.

There was tame, and there was wild.

He had to be in control, she made him lose it.

He had the need to dominate, she felt the desire to submit.

Coming together brought them both into unmarked waters. Many questions were raised, but one thing for certain was the trust they had in one another.

That first night was something that stayed with both way after, even though they didn't know each other's identity. A predicament befalls on Geoffrey's shoulders, forcing him to marry soon. Little did he know that the one he propositioned to was his mystery woman, and the same ignorance goes for Louisa too.

There comfort with one another was indeed very noticeable, but they couldn't figure out why or how that came about. The anticipation was near unbearable. I was kept on my toes throughout and brought to new experiences along with these characters. The vibe I got was a historical Fifty Shades. There was still that sense of appropriateness society had in that time period, but bring in the modern hype of some BDSM. Exploring the scene, desiring the most sinful encounters, finding pleasure and pain as two sides of the same coin. This brought many things onto a whole other level.

The one character I was truly able to get a feel for was Geoffrey's father. His intentions meant well, but the outcomes of his actions were always a scandal and financially jeopardizing. Louisa talking to him gave me insight on his feelings towards his son and how his thought process, as well as they way society was back then, automatically labeled him incapable of maintaining order.

The one character I truly despised for their antagonist ways was the Countess. I think she would've been diagnosed hysterical in the time period I believe, or was it too early? Surely, her incompetence was obvious, she was delusional and tortured. The Countess is truly a malicious contradiction.

The story was utter perfection that was written beautifully. Each and every single word lead to something great and painted a sweet, sinful, dark, and an intriguing masterpiece.

Overall, this story is a must-read and unique to the fullest! Such an enticing love story filled with everything desirable and more. ( )
  Lita2013 | Dec 25, 2014 |
A Myrt's Review

Mastering the Marquess ( A Bound and Determined Book) by Lavinia Kent

Hot Sexy Romance in a Bygone Era

This is a spicy piece of erotica that takes place in London during the highly restrictive era when Polite Society ruled. The time period is unusual for erotica but the story works well in that setting. Geoffrey, the Marquess of Swanston, the hero, has a strong penchant for BDSM and finds Louisa, Lady Brookingston, the heroine, to be incredibly innocent but equally open to the new experiences he is more than willing to share with her. Their first encounter, which opens the book, takes place at a bordello and both are wearing masks. Which is probably why when the two later meet and find themselves in a Society arranged marriage, they don't recognize each other! However, they are still incredibly attracted to each other and have many steamy encounters. This is a very sexy story with two well written characters. It's a seductive romp filled with hidden and confused identities, a cruel villainess who wants the hero to herself and lots of provocative sexual situations in a historically repressive time.

I received this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. ( )
  Myrt | Sep 22, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible