Ecstasy Unbound (The Guardians of the…

Ecstasy Unbound (The Guardians of the Realms, #1)

by Setta Jay

155647,891 (4)None

Review originally posted at Ruby's Books.

*Disclaimer: I received an e-copy of this book from Netgalley and Setta Jay in exchange for an honest review. This odes not influence my rating or my opinion of the book in any way.

Discovering new authors is such a fantastic feeling, especially in the realm of urban fantasy/paranormal romance. If the stories also happen to have even the smallest tie to mythology and ancient gods, then I'm the happiest reader ever.

I loved the concept of this series. The idea that the Greek Gods were punished due to them being mostly villains is so interesting. I liked reading about how the realms are divided, how the Guardians all have to protect them and make sure that the gods don't wake up. I also liked the story of who the Guardians are. My inner history geek squealed, to be very honest. I also loved the story of how the Gods came to be, or the little part of that story that the readers gets to read about. I am curious to see if the rest of the books in the series also show that and if they explore that aspect more.

I really liked Alexandra. Her backstory is really painful, and it's interesting to see how it still affects her, both physically and mentally. I found that her story was pretty unique, which I loved. Seeing how she had all that power, and yet there were things she couldn't prevent herself from doing or going through was an interesting aspect of her story. I liked her relationship with her brothers. She loves her brothers a lot, and you can really see that, especially with how she's willing to sacrifice herself to save them.

I liked Urian. I liked reading about his struggle to keep from contacting Alexandra, but I also enjoyed the twisted game they seemed to play with each other. It felt almost like a dare, like they were pushing themselves to see who would give in first. Urian is a pretty great Guardian, and I liked how dedicated and how loyal he was to his brothers and sisters. I liked how he helped Alexandra overcome some of her issues, but I would have also enjoyed seeing him teach her how to control what was happening with her.

There's a secondary plot line developing in this book, that I can only hope will be explored in the next books, involving one of Alexandra's brothers. I'm very curious to see what will happen with him in the future. The pace of the book was pretty good, and I am so, so excited to read the next books in the series. The book is also very sexy, which is always nice, and it didn't feel forced or over the top. The physical aspect of Alexandra and Urian's relationship was very interesting and I'm curious to see how that aspect will be explored with the other characters, if it's going to be similar, or if it's going to be very different. Basically I loved this book and I need more. If you're a fan of paranormal romance, you definitely need to read this book. ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
Review originally posted at Ruby's Books.

Rubys.books | Aug 25, 2016 |
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

I tried several times to read this one as I had heard such great things about the author but honestly, I couldn't get past the first chapter. I understand the reasons behind prologues but when that starts off boring, I don't even want to continue.
I will pick it up again in the future and see what happens but right now, it didn't work for me ( )
  lowekel | Feb 1, 2016 |
Guardians, Immortals, gods and Demi-gods- what a cast! These beautiful creatures, with all of their familial connections were fairly clear, even through all the detailed explanations.
The mystery enshrouding the plot with girls being kidnapped for sinister reasons is what ultimately brings together a family in order to preserve a most basic connection- that of two mates. Uri and Alexandra are undeniable, they didn't have a chance! Their unfolding relationship and mating was quick but encompassing, natural.
The sex scenes are incredible. Dominant, delectable and detailed, these are mature, not silly or contrived couplings- thank-you! As a series, the plot leaves off mid-way in some places, completing the mating of one couple, and onto the next. The unwrapped events are sure to come together in the sequels, and if Setta Jay's descriptions in those are anything like this one, I'm all in!
*I received an arc from NetGalley for an honest review ( )
  KimMcReads | Dec 30, 2015 |
Well... I really struggled with this novel. I dnf-ed at 48%, a few days later I gave it another try and dnf-ed at 60%. I wasn't willing to give this novel a third chance.

The first thing I noticed was the writing. The male did this, the male did that. Female this, female that. I have never read the words male and female this often in my entire life. But those weren't the only repetitions. There isn't a lot happening and what did happen gets told again and again. So writing? Meh.

Let's move along to the characters. I didn't enjoy those either. They were just boring and they didn't make a lot of sense to be honest. As you can read in the description, Alex has to save her brother. Instead of saving him, she sleeps with Uri. Again and again. They can't think of anything else beside sex. Upstairs brains? I don't think they have those. Bond sex can be hot but I was always thinking about her dying brother. Unlike her. Apparently later she gets a second mate? I didn't read that far.

Everyhing would have worked better as a sexy short story. No dying brother, no drama, just sex. Maybe some different words now and then.

Trigger warnings: Rape, maybe more

Disclaimer: I was provided through NetGalley with a free copy in exchange for an honest review. Thank you.
  bookstogetlostin | Nov 23, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,418,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible