Golden Boys by Sonya Hartnett

Golden Boys

by Sonya Hartnett

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I feel like I should have liked this book more than I did. Certainly the writing is beautiful and it's a wonderfully complex character study, but for me the story dragged. I found myself wondering if anything was actually going to happen, and in the end, it seems like nothing really did. Although the conflict was clear enough, once Mr. Jensen's sins came to light, nothing was done about them really. The book, I think, would appeal mainly to older teens and adults, but the young characters are all about twelve or a little under, so I wonder what exactly what the target audience is. ( )
  meggyweg | Jul 23, 2017 |
Adults aren't always wise, kind, or good to children. Colt and Bastian move into the neighborhood and immediately the reader knows something is wrong. Colt hates his father, even though he showers the boys with fancy toys and bikes and whatever else he thinks is enticing. The reader also gets a window into the life of one of the local families, where all is not well in a different way. An absorbing, sad novel. ( )
  ChristianR | Jul 7, 2016 |
To my mind captured the Australian suburban milieu excellently. There is an almost gothic sense of foreboding that builds through the novel and is only somewhat resolved. A really enjoyable read. ( )
  kale.dyer | May 15, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Golden Boys was a difficult read with intense subject matter. The plot dragged at times and I found it hard to finish. However, the complex characters and gritty realism beautifully showcased the hard truth that things are not always what they seem. This was a poignant and painful tale of families and the secrets they keep, ( )
  clear_tranquil | Apr 8, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an ARC of Sonya Harnett's fictional novel Golden Boys compliments of LibraryThing's Early Reviewer giveaway and appreciated the opportunity, I provide my unbiased thoughts.

The novel introduces two families, the Kileys and the Jensons, neighbours whose lives could not be further apart. The Jensons are the elite, the Kileys the impoverished, living on a quiet street where secrets are well-hidden. The eldest children of each family, Freya Kiley and Colt Jenson struggle with the knowledge that their fathers are not the men they represent to be. Alcoholism, abuse, sexual inappropriateness and manipulation hide behind appearances and silence. Their younger siblings, vulnerable and naive, their mothers victimized and co-dependent. There are other neighbourhood friends, Avery and Garrick, whose own suffering is obvious, they are rebellious and left to their own devices.

The author writing is poetic at times, while describing sensitive topics that strike nerves and raw emotions. Although I thought it was a YA novel, some of the content is better suited for an adult reader. There is little resolve in the story and I my only complaint is that I would have preferred more closure. Alas it is a story that may stay with you after the last page is read. 4 stars ( )
  WLR11 | Mar 25, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sonya Hartnett's book Golden Boys was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,019,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible