dismiss

Designers & Dragons: The 80s by Shannon…

Designers & Dragons: The 80s (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Shannon Appelcline (Author)

Series: Designers and Dragons (1980)

Member:sullijo
Title:Designers & Dragons: The 80s
Authors:Shannon Appelcline (Author)
Info:FLAHC (2014), Edition: Second, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Games
Tags:@home, nonfiction, gaming, history, Designers & Dragons series

Designers & Dragons: A History of the Roleplaying Game Industry: The 80s by Shannon Appelcline (2014)

The second book in the series, it continues to be an excellent reference guide. ( )
  bookmarkaussie | Dec 29, 2018 |
The second part of Shannon Appelcline's history of the roleplaying game industry. This part concentrates on the 1980s, arguably the most productive time ever for RPGs. However many companies also went bust during this time. It was still a small industry and the actions (or failure) of one company could (and did) have a ripple effect on others and on the whole industry. Book industry returns, liquidity problems, licensing issues (licences generally became more expensive and litigious over the period) were each factors in the decline of individual businesses of the time. Military RPGs were popular in the decade, but not really before or since.

I found I wasn't as interested in these companies as I was in the mythology of the 1970s ones. The 1980s was when I began roleplaying. However this book did remind me of a few treasures I missed the first time round, so I might keep an eye out for them. I found the histories of Iron Crown, R.Talsorian and Columbia games most interesting, but that is probably because I bought their games either at the time or later. ( )
  questbird | Apr 29, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

Is an expanded version of

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,810,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible