Cold Trap by Jon Waskan

by Jon Waskan

312,551,640 (2.75)None
Recently added bypurdie, PJDeSmet, Jarratt

No tags.

I was asked by the author to review this book. I do not know him.

"Cold Trap" is Jon Waskan's debut novel. I think it's a great first attempt and I fully expect his future work to just get better and better.

This techno-thriller mostly takes place on the Moon, although we get a little plot development and a lot of back story here on Earth. A Moon explorer makes an amazing discovery, but he then disappears during a subsequent trip out to the area of discovery and is presumed dead. This leads those who are bankrolling the expedition to send a friend and colleague of this missing explorer to the Unity base on the Moon to discover what happened.

The middle of the book dragged a little as we get a too detailed backstory of one of the main characters. This backstory doesn't have a great deal to do with what happens later, so this slows the action down considerably. My other main complaint is that much of the technology and science come in the last 50 or so pages. I would like that to have been spread out a bit more. But again, I think these are relatively minor issues that can easily be massaged in Waskan's future writings.

While Waskan has a little ways to go before he attains "Crichton" status, he can certainly get there. And THAT would be a major accomplishment! ( )
  Jarratt | Aug 18, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,987,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible