Unbowed: a Memoir by Wangari Maathai

Unbowed: a Memoir (2006)

by Wangari Maathai

I really loved this book. She is such a strong and inspiring person. ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |
RIP Wangari. ;(
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
Wangari Maathai is a Kenyan activist who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2004. She founded the Green Belt Movement, planting trees across Kenya to stop the soil erosion resulting from deforestation during the colonial years. She was vocal on both women's and environmental issues, challenging the government and organizing protests.

While her life has been interesting and her contributions significant, my attention flagged halfway through. The writing was uninspired, often with extraneous detail. There was little insight to her personal life and emotions, so she came across as single-minded. About two thirds of the way through this book, I set it aside to read something else. When I picked it up again I still couldn't get into it, and skimmed the last 100 pages. ( )
  lauralkeet | Dec 20, 2008 |
Beautifully written and captivating true story. This is an author and woman to watch. ( )
  6impossible | Sep 12, 2008 |
Unbowed is the memoir of Wangari Maathai, a Kenyan woman who founded the Greenbelt Movement and in the process took on what seemed at times like the entire Kenyan government. The book describes her life in beautiful poetic detail from her childhood in a small village, to her life at boarding school and then in America for college, and then her return to Kenya and her struggles to assert herself there. Along the way she describes all special things that she did or that happened to her. From the outset Maathai makes it clear that she is special and was born that way. This constant building up of herself is furthered by the first person narrative, which prevents the opinions of others from coming through. Considering the kinds of political and personal controversies she has been involved with, this is a rather pressing flaw. Because or in spite of this however, Unbowed is the kind of book that never stops being interesting, no matter what the author is talking about. It is the village kid made national hero story for the modern age, and considering the effect that Maathai has had on the environmental movement, an important story too. ( )
  inge87 | Jul 16, 2008 |
What I know now is that my parents raised me in an environment that did not give reasons for fear or uncertainty. Instead, there were many reasons to dream, to be creative, and to use my imagination. As I grew older, I learned that we can convince ourselves and our children, and if we are leaders we can convince our citizens, that we are in danger, either from what people might do to us or what we might do to ourselves. I know my parents occasionally told me things to keep me unaware and therefore unafraid. But parents have to do that sometimes to allow their children to grow up confident and resilient and able to confront challenges later in life.
Education, if it means anything, should not take people away from the land, but instill in them even more respect for it, because educated people are in a position to understand what is being lost.

Born in a rural Kenyan village in 1940, Wangari Maathai was already an iconoclast as a child, determined to get an education even though most African girls then were uneducated. In her remarkable and inspiring autobiography, she tells of her studies with Catholic missionaries, earning bachelors and master's degrees in the United States, and becoming the first woman both to earn a PhD and to head a university department in Kenya. She tells of her numerous run-ins with the brutal government of Daniel arap Moi and of the political and personal reasons that compelled her, in 1977, to establish the Green Belt Movement, which spread from Kenya across Africa, and which helps restore indigenous forests while assisting rural women by paying them to plant trees in their villages. Maathai's extraordinary courage and determination helped transform Kenya's government into the democracy in which she now serves as Deputy Minister for the Environment and Natural Resources and as a Member of Parliament. Eventually her achievement was internationally recognized in the Nobel Peace Prize, awarded in recognition of her 'contribution to sustainable development, human rights, and peace'.In "Unbowed", we are in the presence of a hugely charismatic yet humble woman whose remarkable story carries with it an inspiring message of hope. Hers is an extraordinary story, spanning different worlds and changing times, and revealing what the courage, determination, tenacity and humour of one good woman can achieve; how as small a thing as planting a seedling and watering it can made all the difference in the world.

In Unbowed, Nobel Prize winner Wangari Maathai recounts her extraordinary journey from her childhood in rural Kenya to the world stage. When Maathai founded the Green Belt Movement in 1977, she began a vital poor people’s environmental movement, focused on the empowerment of women, that soon spread across Africa. Persevering through run-ins with the Kenyan government and personal losses, and jailed and beaten on numerous occasions, Maathai continued to fight tirelessly to save Kenya’s forests and to restore democracy to her beloved country. Infused with her unique luminosity of spirit, Wangari Maathai’s remarkable story of courage, faith, and the power of persistence is destined to inspire generations to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:48 -0400)

The recipient of the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize describes her life as a feminist, political activist, and environmentalist in Kenya, detailing the 1977 establishment of the Green Belt Movement and her role in the transformation of Kenya's government.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible