Neighborwood: Earth Literacy for Kids (Pen…

Neighborwood: Earth Literacy for Kids (Pen Pals Book 1)

by April Manning

322,001,085 (4.67)None

Neighborwood was a beautifully written, informative book about different habitats in our environment. A variety of different words were defined, and these important words were highlighted by underlining them. This was a book that would work very well in a classroom as part of a science lesson. There is also information on how to connect with penpals at the back of the book if children wish to do so as the animals in the book are doing in their class.

I really liked the way the author explained the terms she used such as habitat, community and niche. This book was most informative and it was easy to read the book to gather the information as well as to enjoy the story. Having the animals as students learning along with the reader was rather fun.

The one thing I didn’t really like were the pictures. While they were appealing in that they were child-like as they were hand-drawn, some of them appeared rather faded. I would have preferred a little more punch in the colour of the pencil coloured drawings.

There was also one page that was either missing some words or one page missing as the last sentence on the page ends “They also help stop flooding by taking up the extra water by”. The words on the next page begin in another colour and begin with a new sentence.

Overall I thought the book was well done. The information was excellent and I think the book would appeal to children. I gave this book 4 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the author for providing a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

This review was published on my blog Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/03/book-review-neighborwood-ea... ( )
  KathrynSvendsen | Mar 25, 2015 |
Wonderfully created children's book about Earth literacy. Very informative but entertaining story teaching children about the different types of habitats that are found on Earth and ways to protect it. Loved all the vocabulary words that were found throughout the book and the Pen Pal activity was a very nice addition ( )
1 vote authorrebeccalyndsey | Aug 14, 2014 |

Neighborwood is a fun way to teach children about various earth literacy themes, such as the importance of diversity, recycling, and sense of place.
The animals that live in the Neighborwood will be learning the themes along with the reader. The guide through the journey will be the Neighborwood land ambassador, Lamb. This first book is part of a pen pal series that shows the importance of niches and diversity in communities.
Join Lamb and the rest of the Neighborwood as they learn about the differences and similarities between the Neighborwood and their pen pal’s habitat’s!

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible