The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

The Mists of Avalon (original 1982; edition 2000)

by Marion Zimmer Bradley

11,942224216 (4.11)2 / 546
Member:qizz
Title:The Mists of Avalon
Authors:Marion Zimmer Bradley
Info:Del Rey (2000), Edition: Reissue, Hardcover, 912 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (1982)

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey (cataylor)
    The King Must Die by Mary Renault (krasiviye.slova)
    krasiviye.slova: Similar decline and fall of the matriarchy theme, with different spins.
    Mabinogion Tetralogy by Evangeline Walton (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: Very similar subject on mythology, Celts, Druids, and Matriarchy.
    Confessions of a Pagan Nun: A Novel by Kate Horsley (fyrefly98)
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (alchymyst)
    Lily of the Nile by Stephanie Dray (legxleg)
    legxleg: I am pairing these two books together because both have a thread of female-centric religion struggling to survive.
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (kiwiflowa)
    Queen of Camelot by Nancy Mckenzie (lannabrooke13)
    lannabrooke13: I personally thought Mckenzie's version was much more realistic and engaging!
    The White Mare by Jules Watson (al.vick)
    The Wolf Hunt by Gillian Bradshaw (cataylor)
    Hawk of May by Gillian Bradshaw (MissBrangwen)
    The Black Chalice by Marie Jakober (lquilter)
    lquilter: Like Bradley's Mists of Avalon, Marie Jakober's The Black Chalice has similar patriarchy-superseding-matriarchal-magic themes, but with Germanic mythology. Beautifully written.
    The Circle Cast by Alex Epstein (Bitter_Grace)

English (205)  Dutch (9)  German (3)  Italian (3)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (223)
Arthurian legend from the female perspective. The protagonist is actually Arthur's sister, the one who also mothered his child that proved to be his nemesis. A mammoth book to an adolescent! I discovered Mists of Avalon during my tenth grade year, when I had learned about Arthurian Legends in English class. My interest in the subject matter was almost quelled by the length of the text--somewhere around 1000 pages. After the very first page, I was hooked! This was my favorite novel of all time during my high school years, igniting an interest in Wicca, mythology, magic, etc. A story as beautiful as the goddess within us all. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley is a wonderfully enchanting tale of the Arthurian legends.
The book takes you into another world, and lets you explore the time of Arthur through the eyes of a women.
This book is wonderfully intricate and full of fantasy, intrigue and romance. ( )
  Haidji | Aug 11, 2015 |
This is a very female version of the Arthurian tales. It is largely sympathetic to Morgan la Fey and the culture of the Druids and unsympathetic to Christianity. Magic was used surprisingly successfully throughout the story. This version was successful in making the characters seem more complex and realistic and less focused on the buffets on the head that seem to be ever-present in the Malory version. I also enjoyed the aspects of these tales that are less discussed in other versions, such as the magical boat and the semi-present Avalon. One aspect I didn't fully understand was the fairy land characters occasionally encountered when trying to reach Avalon. Other details of the relationship between Lancelot, Gwen, and Arthur were a surprise but were not inconsistent with reality as presented in this version. Overall this is an interesting addition to the Arthurian legends. ( )
1 vote karmiel | Jul 29, 2015 |
One of my all time favourite books! A must read for anyone who enjoys Arthurian legend. I don't believe the popularly held theory that it's a "woman's book.
  Avalon59 | Jul 27, 2015 |
One of my top 5 favorite books of all time! ( )
1 vote jenladuca | May 22, 2015 |
In ''The Mists of Avalon,'' Marion Zimmer Bradley's monumental reimagining of the Arthurian legends, the story begins differently, in the slow stages of female desire and of moral, even mythic, choice. Stepping into this world through the Avalon mists, we see the saga from an entirely untraditional perspective: not Arthur's, not Lancelot's, not Merlin's. We see the creation of Camelot from the vantage point of its principal women - Viviane, Gwynyfar, Morgaine and Igraine. This, the untold Arthurian story, is no less tragic, but it has gained a mythic coherence; reading it is a deeply moving and at times uncanny experience.

Marion Zimmer Bradleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bralds, BraldtCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herranen, PaulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"...Morgan le Fay was not married, but put to school in a nunnery, where she became a great mistress of magic."
- Malory, Morte d'Arthur
Morgaine speaks...In my time I have been called many things: sister, lover, priestess, wise-woman, queen.
a land ruled by priests is a land filled with tyrants on Earth and in Heaven
the faith of Christ is a fitting faith for slaves who think themselves sinners and humble
What of the King Stag, when the young stag is grown?
The French edition is divided into 2 volumes.
The Brazilian and Spanish editions are divided into 4 volumes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345350499, Paperback)

Even readers who don't normally enjoy Arthurian legends will love this version, a retelling from the point of view of the women behind the throne. Morgaine (more commonly known as Morgan Le Fay) and Gwenhwyfar (a Welsh spelling of Guinevere) struggle for power, using Arthur as a way to score points and promote their respective worldviews. The Mists of Avalon's Camelot politics and intrigue take place at a time when Christianity is taking over the island-nation of Britain; Christianity vs. Faery, and God vs. Goddess are dominant themes.

Young and old alike will enjoy this magical Arthurian reinvention by science fiction and fantasy veteran Marion Zimmer Bradley. --Bonnie Bouman

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:33 -0400)

When Morgan le Fay (Morgaine) has to sacrifice her virginity during fertility rites, the man who impregnates her is her younger brother Arthur, whom she turns against when she thinks he has betrayed the old religion of Avalon.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,031,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible