The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

The Mists of Avalon (original 1982; edition 1982)

by Marion Zimmer Bradley

12,250235207 (4.1)2 / 557
Member:cerce7
Title:The Mists of Avalon
Authors:Marion Zimmer Bradley
Info:Ballantine Books (1982), Paperback, 912 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Arthurian Legend, Fantasy

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (1982)

Recently added byprivate library, aharey, Leticia.Toraci, bjoelle5, Joana_v_v, SaraNoH, AltheaAnn, mirikayla, catiew
    Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey (cataylor)
    The King Must Die by Mary Renault (krasiviye.slova)
    krasiviye.slova: Similar decline and fall of the matriarchy theme, with different spins.
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (alchymyst)
    Confessions of a Pagan Nun: A Novel by Kate Horsley (fyrefly98)
    Mabinogion Tetralogy by Evangeline Walton (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: Very similar subject on mythology, Celts, Druids, and Matriarchy.
    Lily of the Nile by Stephanie Dray (legxleg)
    legxleg: I am pairing these two books together because both have a thread of female-centric religion struggling to survive.
    Queen of Camelot by Nancy Mckenzie (lannabrooke13)
    lannabrooke13: I personally thought Mckenzie's version was much more realistic and engaging!
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (kiwiflowa)
    Hawk of May by Gillian Bradshaw (MissBrangwen)
    The White Mare by Jules Watson (al.vick)
    The Wolf Hunt by Gillian Bradshaw (cataylor)
    The Forest House by Marion Zimmer Bradley (AniIma)
    AniIma: Fantastic, mythical, Arthurian Legend. Wonderful and skillfull storytelling by the author, Marion Zimmer Bradley.
    The Black Chalice by Marie Jakober (lquilter)
    lquilter: Like Bradley's Mists of Avalon, Marie Jakober's The Black Chalice has similar patriarchy-superseding-matriarchal-magic themes, but with Germanic mythology. Beautifully written.
    The Circle Cast by Alex Epstein (Bitter_Grace)

English (216)  Dutch (9)  German (3)  Italian (3)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (234)
This book kind of blew me away a little bit. I love the Arthurian legend so I was excited from the beginning, even with the slow pace. This take on the legend has both the classic events and new twists. I don't think there is one accurate telling of the legend and seeing Bradley's take on it was fantastic. I loved how simple it ended up being. One small event that creates a chain reaction. Innocent things leading to others. The magic was portrayed pretty realistically in my opinion; I feel that even the magic could be interpreted as happening in real life, if that makes sense. Gwenhwyfar's piousness got on my nerves more than I expected her to. Morgaine was my favorite, which was startling at first because she's not always portrayed in a likable manner. Here she was very likable. The writing takes a little bit to get comfortable with, at least for me. But once you're in, you're in. I recommend it on audio. I really really enjoyed this rendition, and highly recommend it to those fans of the legends, if you can ignore the facts about the author to enjoy a wonderful story. ( )
2 vote Kassilem | Jan 30, 2016 |
Great book! The feminine perspective on the King and how betrayal can burn holes in the universe. A nice companion novel is the more male-oriented _The Once and Future King_ by White. ( )
1 vote dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
One of my all-time favourite books, the best re-telling of the Athurian saga I've come across. This is told from the point of view of the women in the tale, mainly Morgaine who is Arthur's sister. The conflict between the old religion and the new, illuminating the merits and faults of both, is beautifully played out - even if we all know how it ends. Sadly, the prequels and sequels to this one are dissappointing. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
4.5 rounded up.

Ms. R's Book Bingo: "Read a book your parents recommend."

2015 Reading Challenge: "Read a book with magic." ( )
1 vote | Cecilia_Ridley | Jan 10, 2016 |
Expecting the book to be an example of positive feminine energy, I was quite disappointed. The two most powerful women in the book - Vivian, followed by Morgaine, are essentially war lords, selecting their puppet rulers to defend their empire.

I think it's a great piece of fantasy, and love the grounding in Arthurian legend. But I was really hoping for something other than war and violence.

The book is unbelievably pessimistic, in the sense that I had a hard time connecting with all of it's negativity. By the end of the book, pretty much every person Morgaine cares about has been killed either directly or indirectly because of her actions. Not only that, but patriarchy's conquest is complete, Avalon having fallen into the mists. ( )
  willszal | Jan 3, 2016 |
In ''The Mists of Avalon,'' Marion Zimmer Bradley's monumental reimagining of the Arthurian legends, the story begins differently, in the slow stages of female desire and of moral, even mythic, choice. Stepping into this world through the Avalon mists, we see the saga from an entirely untraditional perspective: not Arthur's, not Lancelot's, not Merlin's. We see the creation of Camelot from the vantage point of its principal women - Viviane, Gwynyfar, Morgaine and Igraine. This, the untold Arthurian story, is no less tragic, but it has gained a mythic coherence; reading it is a deeply moving and at times uncanny experience.

Marion Zimmer Bradleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bralds, BraldtCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herranen, PaulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ohl, ManfredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sartorius, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"...Morgan le Fay was not married, but put to school in a nunnery, where she became a great mistress of magic."
- Malory, Morte d'Arthur
Morgaine speaks...In my time I have been called many things: sister, lover, priestess, wise-woman, queen.
a land ruled by priests is a land filled with tyrants on Earth and in Heaven
the faith of Christ is a fitting faith for slaves who think themselves sinners and humble
What of the King Stag, when the young stag is grown?
The French edition is divided into 2 volumes.
The Brazilian and Spanish editions are divided into 4 volumes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345350499, Paperback)

Even readers who don't normally enjoy Arthurian legends will love this version, a retelling from the point of view of the women behind the throne. Morgaine (more commonly known as Morgan Le Fay) and Gwenhwyfar (a Welsh spelling of Guinevere) struggle for power, using Arthur as a way to score points and promote their respective worldviews. The Mists of Avalon's Camelot politics and intrigue take place at a time when Christianity is taking over the island-nation of Britain; Christianity vs. Faery, and God vs. Goddess are dominant themes.

Young and old alike will enjoy this magical Arthurian reinvention by science fiction and fantasy veteran Marion Zimmer Bradley. --Bonnie Bouman

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:33 -0400)

When Morgan le Fay (Morgaine) has to sacrifice her virginity during fertility rites, the man who impregnates her is her younger brother Arthur, whom she turns against when she thinks he has betrayed the old religion of Avalon.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible