The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

The Mists of Avalon (original 1982; edition 1982)

by Marion Zimmer Bradley

11,696211226 (4.11)2 / 533
Member:cerce7
Title:The Mists of Avalon
Authors:Marion Zimmer Bradley
Info:Ballantine Books (1982), Paperback, 912 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Arthurian Legend, Fantasy

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (1982)

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey (cataylor)
    The King Must Die by Mary Renault (krasiviye.slova)
    krasiviye.slova: Similar decline and fall of the matriarchy theme, with different spins.
    Mabinogion Tetralogy by Evangeline Walton (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: Very similar subject on mythology, Celts, Druids, and Matriarchy.
    Confessions of a Pagan Nun: A Novel by Kate Horsley (fyrefly98)
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (alchymyst)
    Lily of the Nile by Stephanie Dray (legxleg)
    legxleg: I am pairing these two books together because both have a thread of female-centric religion struggling to survive.
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (kiwiflowa)
    Queen of Camelot by Nancy Mckenzie (lannabrooke13)
    lannabrooke13: I personally thought Mckenzie's version was much more realistic and engaging!
    The White Mare by Jules Watson (al.vick)
    The Wolf Hunt by Gillian Bradshaw (cataylor)
    Hawk of May by Gillian Bradshaw (MissBrangwen)
    The Black Chalice by Marie Jakober (lquilter)
    lquilter: Like Bradley's Mists of Avalon, Marie Jakober's The Black Chalice has similar patriarchy-superseding-matriarchal-magic themes, but with Germanic mythology. Beautifully written.
    The Circle Cast by Alex Epstein (Bitter_Grace)

English (194)  Dutch (9)  German (3)  Italian (3)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (211)
While I used to love this book, since learning about [a:Marion Zimmer Bradley|4841825|Marion Zimmer Bradley|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1305483488p2/4841825.jpg]'s long history of participating and supporting child molestation and abuse, I don't think I'll ever be reading this again.
You can read more of my thoughts on this (and links to the abuse stuff) here: www.ravenoak.net ( )
  kaonevar | Nov 12, 2014 |
I'm not an obsessive Authurian. I like the explainations for how the story I know will come to be. I loved the first third. I love strong heroines. But I'm half way through and lagging. I despise Gwen's character. I want her replaced. She's so awful It's a struggle knowing she wont die soon enough. But I'm trudging through hoping for a change and it'll pick back up as they focus on someone else. ( )
  sambadoll | Nov 5, 2014 |
The Arthurian legend from the perspective of the women. Morgaine of the Fairies is the misunderstood heroine. Perhaps the most surprising aspect is the menage a trois with Arthur, Gwen and Lance. And Gwen is such a whiner! ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
This story was the start of the Arthurian tale - the marriage of Igraine of Avalon to Uther Pendragon. Igraine's daughter by a Roman duke, Morgaine is sent to Avalon while her son Arthur is guarded against injury so that he can grow to become the high king. An interesting concept of the myth. ( )
  cyderry | Oct 7, 2014 |
Life-altering. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
In ''The Mists of Avalon,'' Marion Zimmer Bradley's monumental reimagining of the Arthurian legends, the story begins differently, in the slow stages of female desire and of moral, even mythic, choice. Stepping into this world through the Avalon mists, we see the saga from an entirely untraditional perspective: not Arthur's, not Lancelot's, not Merlin's. We see the creation of Camelot from the vantage point of its principal women - Viviane, Gwynyfar, Morgaine and Igraine. This, the untold Arthurian story, is no less tragic, but it has gained a mythic coherence; reading it is a deeply moving and at times uncanny experience.

Marion Zimmer Bradleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bralds, BraldtCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herranen, PaulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"...Morgan le Fay was not married, but put to school in a nunnery, where she became a great mistress of magic."
- Malory, Morte d'Arthur
Morgaine speaks...In my time I have been called many things: sister, lover, priestess, wise-woman, queen.
The French edition is divided into 2 volumes.
The Brazilian and Spanish editions are divided into 4 volumes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345350499, Paperback)

Even readers who don't normally enjoy Arthurian legends will love this version, a retelling from the point of view of the women behind the throne. Morgaine (more commonly known as Morgan Le Fay) and Gwenhwyfar (a Welsh spelling of Guinevere) struggle for power, using Arthur as a way to score points and promote their respective worldviews. The Mists of Avalon's Camelot politics and intrigue take place at a time when Christianity is taking over the island-nation of Britain; Christianity vs. Faery, and God vs. Goddess are dominant themes.

Young and old alike will enjoy this magical Arthurian reinvention by science fiction and fantasy veteran Marion Zimmer Bradley. --Bonnie Bouman

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:43 -0400)

When Morgan le Fay (Morgaine) has to sacrifice her virginity during fertility rites, the man who impregnates her is her younger brother Arthur, whom she turns against when she thinks he has betrayed the old religion of Avalon.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,924,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible