Denton Little's Deathdate by Lance Rubin

Denton Little's Deathdate (2015)

by Lance Rubin

This book explores the last day of Denton Little's life. In his version of our world, people know their death dates and funerals are last parties for the living with people having a sitting as they wait for death to arrive. Denton's last day is a doozy with cryptic warnings, family secrets, even a bizarre outing to prom. ( )
  ewyatt | Jun 5, 2017 |
Denton lives in a society where you know the day you are going to die. In Denton's case, he is scheduled to die on the day of his Senior Prom. Because he is going to die before he gets to the age of 21 he is called an "Early". As you would expect, people in this society prepare for their death with a "funeral" and get together on the day before. Then family and friends generally hang out together on the final day waiting for the end to come. Denton is trying to wrap up some things on his bucket list. His best friend Paolo is another Early and is scheduled to die 26 days after Denton. Things get weird as Denton wakes up in Paolo's sister's bed with a raging hangover and little recollection of what occurred the night before. He has to leave on a good note with his girlfriend and of course his stepmom, dad, and stepbrother. Things get complicated and he also develops a purple rash with strange red dots all over his body. As his death nears, some strange events lead to a shocking ending. Fun read based on an interesting premise. Would you want to know??? ( )
  alsparks324 | Apr 5, 2017 |
Denton Little's Death Date is a wild ride! Thanks to advances made in the field of AstroThanatoGenetics (ATG), just about everyone in the world knows the day they will die. They get to attend their own funerals, and on their death dates, family and friends hold a sitting, where they wait patiently for the guest of honor to perish. I found this concept to be really disturbing, and I actually had a nightmare about it! I was able to overcome the creep factor enough to enjoy the story, and I discovered that Denton Little's Death Date is actually quite humorous. Main character Denton is just a regular teenage boy, trying to navigate romance, sex, and friendship while coping with the fact that he is slated to die on prom night.

This book has some pretty shocking twists, and the ending sets up the sequel (which I now have to read) nicely. The audiobook is read by the author, and he does a great job of conveying all of the characters, especially Denton. I recommend this book for grades 9-12. There are quite a few sexual references, as well as drinking and drug use. -EC ( )
  WhitneyYPL | May 15, 2016 |
In a future where everyone in the first world is born knowing the exact date on which they will die, we meet Denton Little, whose death date is fast approaching--within the next 24 hours. Can I just say that the audiobook, narrated by the author, made me laugh out loud many times, though not at the idea of Denton's premature demise. No, Lance Rubin's voice is so authentic, so candidly teenage boy that you're too busy laughing to think about his passing on. And then you discover you're in the middle of a mystery. Someone wants to get to Denton before his death date, and there's a government connection to be continued in the sequel. I hope Rubin can keep up the humor. This was an entertaining and unusual story. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Feb 11, 2016 |
Narrated by the author. Who knew death and dying could be so funny? Denton lives in a time when everyone knows the date of their death. Funerals are held just before the death date so everyone can remember and celebrate the person. One would think the last day would be about gathering with family and living it up but Denton's last day is full of hilariously incongruous moments (his stepmother fussing over his safety, Denton checking his Facebook feed). But there's more going on today than he expected: a weird purple rash spreading over his body, a suspicious cop on his tail, a stranger turning up at his funeral. This will not be an ordinary death date. The author hits all the funny high notes in his performance, changing his voice to reflect the different characters and personalities, and capturing the incongruities of life. There's even a George Clooney-like timbre to his voice which is not at all unpleasing. ;) ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |

Fans of John Green and Matthew Quick: Get ready to die laughing.

Denton Little’s Deathdate takes place in a world exactly like our own except that everyone knows the day on which they will die. For Denton, that’s in just two days—the day of his senior prom.

Despite his early deathdate, Denton has always wanted to live a normal life, but his final days are filled with dramatic firsts. First hangover. First sex. First love triangle—as the first sex seems to have happened not with his adoring girlfriend, but with his best friend’s hostile sister. (Though he’s not totally sure—see, first hangover.) His anxiety builds when he discovers a strange purple rash making its way up his body. Is this what will kill him? And then a strange man shows up at his funeral, claiming to have known Denton’s long-deceased mother, and warning him to beware of suspicious government characters. . . . Suddenly Denton’s life is filled with mysterious questions and precious little time to find the answers.

Debut author Lance Rubin takes us on a fast, furious, and outrageously funny ride through the last hours of a teenager’s life as he searches for love, meaning, answers, and (just maybe) a way to live on.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:33 -0400)

"In a world where everyone knows the day they will die, a teenage boy is determined to outlive his upcoming expiration date"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,259,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible