The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant

The Boston Girl (2014)

by Anita Diamant

Away by Amy Bloom (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although Away's stylistically complex narrative covers more ground than The Boston Girl, both novels introduce Jewish immigrant women whose outsider status compels them to create independent lives while making sense of 20th-century American society.… (more)
    Triangle by Katharine Weber (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these novels, elderly Jewish women -- one from New York's Lower East Side, the other from Boston's North End -- recount their life stories to interviewers, in the process vividly depicting people and places responsible for shaping their identities.… (more)
    The Daring Ladies of Lowell by Kate Alcott (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: The life of mill girls in Lowell, Massachusetts
    Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín (thea-block)
    thea-block: Both books have similar narratives of a young immigrant girl figuring out how to live in America in the 20th century. Both give a depth to the experience of immigrant women during the century - how they lived, how they loved, and the challenges they experienced.… (more)
    Angel Puss by Colleen McCullough (Fliss88)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (gypsysmom)
    gypsysmom: Also about a poor immigrant girl but I thought it was more effective at conveying the time and circumstances.
    The Future Homemakers of America by Laurie Graham (Fliss88)

Diamant, author of The Red Tent, has written another winning best seller. It is a gripping story of a young Jewish woman growing up in early 20th century Boston told to her beloved granddaughter. Addie tells her about her life, her loves, and her beliefs in answer to the question “How did I get to be the woman I am today?” It is an unforgettable novel of “family ties, values, friendship and feminism”.
  HandelmanLibraryTINR | Nov 7, 2017 |
I really love novels that are set up like this was; a grandmother telling her granddaughter about her life. It's the story of a daughter of an immigrant family growing up in Boston in the early 20th century. There wasn't anything extraordinary about her tale, but I still found myself unable to put the book down. A must-read for anyone who enjoyed A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
just pretty sweet and highly readable but not enough going on and the end felt very rushed. I expected more from her in terms of what she went onto to do - her social work and teaching career deserved more attention and details. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
Terrific historical novel that captures the immigrant experience--and the tumult at the turn of the LAST century as we follow the life of a Russian-Jewish daughter of immigrants growing up in Boston tenements. There are surprising correlations between lives now and 100 years ago. Being familiar with Boston and its institutions and culture provided an added bonus, as Diamant gets that exactly right. ( )
  judiparadis | May 15, 2017 |
An unforgettable coming-of-age novel about family ties and values, friendship and feminism told through the eyes of a young Jewish woman growing up in Boston in the early
twentieth century.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Apr 21, 2017 |
For Robert B. Wyatt and S.J.P.
Ava, sweetheart, if you ask me to talk about how I got to be the woman I am today, what do you think I am going to say?

Hardback

A story "about family ties and values, friendship and feminism told through the eyes of a young Jewish woman growing up in Boston in the early twentieth century. Addie Baum is The Boston Girl, born in 1900 to immigrant parents who were unprepared for and suspicious of America and its effect on their three daughters. Growing up in the North End, then a teeming multicultural neighborhood, Addie's intelligence and curiosity take her to a world her parents can't imagine--a world of short skirts, movies, celebrity culture, and new opportunities for women. Addie wants to finish high school and dreams of going to college. She wants a career and to find true love. Eighty-five-year-old Addie tells the story of her life to her twenty-two-year-old granddaughter, who has asked her "How did you get to be the woman you are today.""--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible