Eden by Candice Fox

Excellent. ( )
  nautilus | Sep 20, 2017 |
Bought this and the author's first book, Hades,for vacation last week. You must start with Hades Which is the first book in the series, and a non stop thrill ride. Eden, which is the authors second book, is more of a psychological examination for the lead characters from her first book. You Will likely be lost or bored with this book (Eden) if you don't start with the first book (Hades). I can not wait for her new book Fall to be available in the USA, Candice Fox is a fantastic Australian export who can teach a number of authors here in the U.S. How to write a thriller. ( )
  zmagic69 | Dec 8, 2015 |
If HADES was noir, EDEN is even more so. A little too much for my taste. Frank Bennett and Eden Archer are searching for three missing girls, and Eden goes underground in the community where at least one of the girls was past seen. The work is dangerous and Frank and his team must track Eden with a number of hidden cameras that she takes with her.

The other strand of the story tracks Hades' past. A stalker has Hades under surveillance and he asks Frank to work out what the stalker wants. Much of Hades' life history is revealed even though quite a bit of this must remain hidden from Frank.

This is a novel that keeps you reading, even if only to see the story resolve. But for me it was all just a bit gruesome. ( )
  smik | Nov 19, 2015 |
After reading only a few pages I realized that this book was the second in a series and the characters were so intriguing that I had to pick up the first book. Despite not having read book 1 I plunged ahead and fell in love with Hades, Eden and Frank.

This book is fast paced and full of mystery. I loved it. I couldn't put it down, and there is a bit of a cliff hanger in the epilogue that left me desperate for the next book and this one just came out!

The story delves into Hades past, where he came from and how he came to be what he is, and also where his passion for art came about. Living in a garbage dump Hades still helps people take care of "trash" but he has his scruples. His business is being compromised by someone watching him, someone who wants payback for the past, something that he swears he didn't do.

Meanwhile Eden, Hades daughter goes undercover to try to solve a murder and may be underestimating the killer. Her back up is falling in love with her and Eden being the predator she is doesn't really have time for this. Jack seems torn between Hades, his need to help his partner and trying to get over the death of his girlfriend.

The characters are all really well developed, dark and broken but realistic. This is definately a series to keep your eyes on, because I have a feeling its only going to get better. ( )
  ReadingGrrl | Aug 24, 2015 |
Eden- an intensely layered psychological mystery that will capture your attention and hold it hostage throughout. Fox's voice is strong, her characters vile, real and witty. She has an insanely graphic, and rather twisted mind, where each word is chosen carefully in order to construct this labyrinth of thoughts, characters and scenarios into a brilliant story.
You will try to figure things out as I did, but I never saw it coming, on quite a few occasions, and am thrilled to have had the experience. Right vs wrong is skewed throughout, and good vs evil has a different meaning in Eden. Pick up this book, lock your doors and enjoy the ride, it's absolutely fabulous. ( )
  KimMcReads | Aug 17, 2015 |
Hell hath no fury…

**** 4 out of 5 stars
Review by: Mark Palm
Release Date:

When I read and reviewed Hades, Candice Fox’s first novel, I was stunned by how believable it was even though you couldn’t turn around without bumping into a killer. Well in Eden, it’s sequel, she proves that it wasn’t a fluke. There are as many killers here, if not more, and I think that it’s even better than Hades, which is saying a lot.

Frank Bennett is struggling with the loss and trauma that occurred during the first book, and he’s doing it the same way, by drinking too much and generally putting everything off until the last possible moment. Eden Archer lost as much or more, but is so enigmatic and self-contained that she spends most of her time fixing Frank’s life, including pestering him to see their court-ordered therapist, Imogen Stone, who has to clear both detective’s for active duty. Eden is itching to get back to work on their next case; three missing women, all of whom worked for a low-life named Jackie Fry, who runs a farm that seems only to employ ex-cons and reprobates.

Once they start Eden goes undercover, leaving Frank with her nothing to do but monitor her progress with a tech named Juno, and wait. However Eden’s father, Heinrich “Hades” Archer, has problems of his own, mainly a man from his distant past who claims that Hades ruined his life, and is taunting the aging but still dangerous semi-retired fixer into losing his temper and doing something that could ruin his life. So he drafts Frank to help him find solve his problems. At the same time there is another story-line about a young, nameless almost feral street-kid, set in the past, who is “adopted” by a criminal named Bear, and we follow his brutal and gripping tale as it provides us not only with a solid background, but dovetails neatly with the current story.

Reading Hades was like getting punched in the face, and Eden has the same impact, ouch! It’s not for the faint of heart; there are murderers, rapists, pedophiles, dog-fights, even a cannibal. Yet despite all of this, we start to see all of the main characters become full, well-rounded people, capable of kindness as well as savagery. Frank has always been kind of a gate-way into this world, and Hades becomes more understandable as his tale unwinds, but the real star of this book is Eden. She was fascinating in the first book, but here, as she goes undercover, Ms. Fox lets us see deep inside her main character. It’s been said that wearing a mask allows us to really show our true selves, and that cliche comes to life here. When Eden becomes Eadie, we start to see the living breathing person that exists inside of her cold and calculating surface. The scenes where Eden befriends and bonds with Jackie’s girlfriend Skylar, are a revelation, and provide moments of kindness and compassion that are all the more powerful as the plot reveals that nothing, and I mean nothing, is quite the way that it seems.

Eden is a sequel, and you can read it as a stand-alone novel just fine, though I suggest that you read Hades first, because taken together the two books resonate and become more than the sum of their parts. As in the first book, I feel that the last few chapters feel a bit rushed, and compressed, as if Ms. Fox was worried about the books getting too long, but those are very minor complaints. Eden is an exceptional novel, and it ends with a real gob-smack. So I hope Ms. Fox gets the next book ready fast. I am waiting.

Full Reviews Available at: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

For Tim
The night of the boy's murder he was working, wandering along Darlinghurst Road in the crowds of workers, picking pockets, begging, doing ricks for coins.

Most homicide detective teams run on trust, loyalty, and the shared desire to put killers behind bars. Frank Bennett's partner, Eden Archer, thrives on darkness and danger. She has a rare talent for catching killers - but her idea of justice has little to do with courtrooms.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,404,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible