Feast of Fates (Four Feasts Till Darkness)…

Feast of Fates (Four Feasts Till Darkness) (Volume 1)

by Christian A. Brown

facebook // twitter // bloglovin

This book BLEW ME AWAY! Once I really started getting into it, I could not put it down. Absolutely something that I needed to find in the Epic Fantasy genre that feels new and familiar at the same time. Feast of Fates by Christian A Brown is a book that is a must read for fans of Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire.

I confess, I am a horrible person. When I first started this book, I had no idea what I was getting into. I picked it up in 2014 and read the first 10% and thought, this is not what I had in mind. At the start, you meet the three fates and I thought yes, this is good. I like this. But then, viewpoint switches over to handmaiden Morigan and a smith named Caenith. Things seemed to get hot and heavy and that was when I put the book away for a LONG time. I didn’t want to read another epic fantasy with gratuitous sex or romance.

Finally, earlier this month, I decided to finish reading all of the books I picked up but put away, and came back to Feast of Fates. I am a fool for putting it down when I did. Right as their romance is starting, viewpoint switches again and things GET GOOD. We meet the rest of the main players of Geadhain: a pair of immortal Kings born of the earth and time itself (so it seems), a pair of Queens fighting a war away from the Kings, a former pleasure slave turned spy messenger, a reanimated dead man, an elderly mage, a wolf in men’s clothing, a metal mouth sadist, a selkie, and a psychotic necromancer. All of these wildly different characters (and more I’ve not mentioned) connected. Where one moves, the others follow and react in an elegant dance of intrigue and warfare. And through it all remain Morigan, the handmaiden, finding the threads of each character attached to her.

The characters are amazingly fleshed out. I want to know about all of them, the Kings, the Fates, Sorren (who is a horror and a madman, yet one of my favourites?!). They each carry their own voice through the book and their motivations for their journey remain true. Morigan, the main heroine, rings likeable and believable, which is quite a feat considering her origin and powers. Mr. Brown tactfully was able to ground her, show that she is not invincible, that she is not a “Mary Sue” (a term I despise.)

As I mentioned earlier, the book reminded a bit of the A Song of Ice and Fire series. It has the intrigue and multiple converging storylines and characters, but not the gratuitousness for the sake of being gratuitous that ASOIAF has. It does amazingly well with world building, creating unique biomes with their own cultures, landscapes, and rules.

For me, however, where the story truly thrives, is in its writing. That is where I think of Lord of the Rings. It feels epic. It feels grand. The writing is descriptive, but purposeful. It does not over encumber the reader. Every word feels carefully chosen, every description and detail given means something and brings knowledge to the reader. There is also a big great doom as one (if not the) main enemy, but as Sauron was the enemy in LotR, and Melkor before him. There are bonds created through necessity, through kinship, through blood.

The second I finished Feast of Fates by Christian A Brown, I immediately told my fellow fantasy readers, go, buy this now, read it. I myself am buying a physical copy of this and of the next instalment in the series, Feast of Dreams, which I cannot wait to begin (but will have to for the time being).

// I received this title for free in exchange for an honest review // ( )
  heylu | Mar 4, 2016 |
Feast of Fates is so much more than just a fantasy book, and with it's writing harping back to the old style. If that's you're thing then you will enjoy this, Sadly for me, it isn't. The book is slow paced, to the point of rambling at times, making for confusion.

Although Morigan is a great character, I found it difficult at times to know what was going on. The location descriptions tended to be sparse if there at all, so I was unable to place myself in Morigan's shoes. If you regularly read my reviews, you will know that's a major issue for me.

I hate giving this such a low rating, especially as many others disagree with me, and thoroughly enjoyed the book. I can only offer my personal view. I would love to hear if you enjoy it and why, so why not leave me a comment?

In the meantime, here's a trailer and enjoy. ( )
  theReadingHead | Jul 17, 2015 |

In the meantime, here's a trailer and enjoy. ( )
  theReadingHead | Jun 26, 2015 |
I was looking for light reading and it was on sale for the Kindle, so I bit: an average of four and a half stars on Amazon; I just don't get it. I'm cranky about bad stories lately and probably slamming this one much harder than I would had I been in a better mood, but...

It takes a pretty good author to try to write a character who sometimes is talking from the gutter, full of four letter words and frank discussions about interesting bits of anatomy, and the next is all stilted "backwards ran sentences" and "you have lost someone...a precious heart." Brown isn't. It jars.

And, honestly, I cannot abide place descriptions such as, "It had a song unsung. A lonely melody, crying on the wind like a nestling in an empty nest."

Breathless. Tall, dark, predatory heroes. Fiery-haired women with hidden depths. I suspect bodices were ripped but I stopped reading after 40 pages and missed it. ( )
  TadAD | May 27, 2015 |
What I Thought:

Fantasy, romance and sorcery, what's not to love in this debut book by Christian A. Brown!

I, personally, found the writing style refreshing. It was a great fantasy story, with excellent elements of romance intertwined in the pages, but it was the way the author wrote and described the story that grabbed me. I felt as though his words and way of detailing events and people was new and exciting.

I enjoyed the characters and the amount of detail he gave them. I was close enough that I felt like I knew them, I could almost be them, and at many points in the book, I did wish I was them. I was caught up in the story, from page one, and found that I loved every moment. I didn't want to put the book (well, my iPad) down, and when I did, I felt myself thinking about the world of Feast of Fates.

I found the plot to be intriguing and easy to follow. The pace was perfect, as It went slow enough to really pull us in and give us the level of detail we needed to make it real, but it also had enough happening to make it exciting.

Overall, I loved this story. I cannot wait to read more by this author. He is fantastic and really has a way with words. I highly recommend grabbing a copy of this. It makes perfect reading for those cold days in. ( )
  naturalbri | Dec 16, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,153,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible