The Calling by Amber Foxx

The Calling

by Amber Foxx

721,268,033 (3)None

This is the first book read in Amber Foxx’s series: Mae Martin Mystery Series. With that said, the elements of mystery were faint if not lacking. However, and don’t miss my however, The Calling is a wonderful literary novel of a woman’s journey to come to terms with her inherited history. I commend Ms. Foxx for writing this novel. Her subject of a woman being a sensitive, intuitive or having “the calling” is written in honest terms. Mae Martin, the protagonist, worries for her family’s acceptance and society’s approval, and triumphs in her acknowledgement that she herself is different. I enjoyed Amber Foxx’s honesty in showing how Mae Martin struggled with this belief in herself. I appreciated showing how people who the protagonist opened up to manipulated and used her sensitivities in a way she herself morally struggled to avoid. There are books for pure enjoyment and there are books to be enjoyed and read for learning about ourselves, others, or to continue to evaluate the human experience. Amber Foxx’s ability to write is fully disclosed in this novel. Her ability to understand human nature is also fully revealed. I am excited to read more of her work. I am looking forward to buying and reading her other novel Shaman’s Blues.
This review and questions answered by Amber Foxx can be read on my blog: lecouerdeartiste.com ( )
  DJadamson | Jan 4, 2018 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I won a copy of this book in a Booklikes Giveaway.

The Calling is the first book in the Mae Martin Mysteries.

I knew I didn't have to expect a murder or something like that in this story. That I was told before I started reading. But I think I expected a story that could leave an uncanny feeling, and this was not like that.

I'm not sure what the 'Mystery' is that's referred to in the series title, perhaps it's better in the next volume. Mae discovers that she has a gift (this would be a perfect point to start the mystery) but she uses her gift mostly to find lost cats and drunken ex-husbands. After that the story babbles on too long about nothing really, she gets a jobs, takes a course on personal training. Nothing interesting enough to fill a large part of a mystery with.

Of course, the little community she lived in gave me the creeps. But mostly because I wouldn't be able to stand to live so far away from everything I need and be dependent. It probably won't come as a surprise that the small community isn't really happy about Mae's developing powers.

Near the end a new plot line starts, but at that point is was too late for me to really care. It adds some mystery, but I still got the feeling it was all solved too easy. From all the people on the university, Mae happens to know everyone involved!

I could completely understand why Mae wanted to move away from the town she lives in. What I didn't understand is why she moves from not using her powers unless there is a kitten in distress to using it for everything (including spying on people).

So, this book made me feel depressed but mostly bored. I would say this series is, after this book at least, better called 'Mae Martin Miseries'. Because a lot of misery there is. Perhaps it's better in the second book, but I'm not planning to read that one. I was glad I finished this one. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,872,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible