The Last Orphans by N.W. Harris

The Last Orphans

by N.W. Harris

Goodreads Synopsis:
One horrifying day will change the life of sixteen-year-old Shane Tucker and every other kid in the world.
In a span of mere hours, the entire adult population is decimated, leaving their children behind to fend for themselves and deal with the horrific aftermath of the freak occurrence. As one of the newly made elders in his small town, Shane finds himself taking on the role of caretaker for a large group of juvenile survivors. One who just happens to be Kelly Douglas—an out-of-his-league classmate—who, on any other day, would have never given Shane a second glance.
Together, they begin their quest to find out why all of the adults were slaughtered. What they find is even more horrifying than anything they could have expected—the annihilation of the adults was only the beginning. Shane and his friends are not the unlucky survivors left to inherit this new, messed-up planet. No, they are its next victims. There is an unknown power out there, and it won’t stop until every person in the world is dead.
A spine-tingling adventure that will have you gasping for breath all the way until the last page, The Last Orphans is the first book in an all-new apocalyptic series.

My Review:
The Last orphans isn't what I expected, from looking at the cover. Quite frankly, up until I'd read a third of the book, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. Then something changed, I really got interested in what was going to happen next, and I wanted to know more about how the characters were going to react. All in all, this book took me about 4 hours to read cover to cover, which is 277 pages, despite sitting in my currently reading shelf for the better part of a year. I received this book from Amazon for free.
Shane is a sixteen year old boy, headed home from his granny's funeral one afternoon. His dad, drunk and driving, decides to pick yet another fight with him, and obviously that doesn't turn out very well. He's left stranded in the middle of nowhere by himself, so he decides to head to his granny's house. That's when things start getting weird. Swarms of bees are just flying around, lookin for something to attack. Cows in the field are charging around aimlessly. Suddenly, he's thrown into an apocalypse. Shane bands together with whoever he can find, to figure out what their next step is.
This book is a fast paced, gory action packed story and the characters are pretty lifelike, although traumatized, they seem to act their age, which is always nice. It's an easy read, and although I wasn't so sure about it at the beginning, I was sucked into the story at almost the half way mark. So if you try it, give it a chance before you decide how you feel. I had a lot of questions circulating my head while I was reading this book, but by the end of the book they were answered. I also really like the cover, I think that's what really stood out for me about this book in the first place.
Overall, It's a good story. I will most likely try to track down the second book in the series, just to see what happens next. If you haven't read it yet, you might want to check it out if you like apocalyptic stories with a little bit of gore!

Thanks for reading! Read this review and more at my blog!
(radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com) ( )
  aurora.schnarr | May 17, 2017 |
Great book in the same vein as "Gone", "The Enemy", and "The Last Girl." Shane is 17 and lives in a small country town in Georgia. That morning he has just buried his grandmother and is walking to her farm when hell begins. All the animals, insects and birds suddenly go berserk and start killing every adult in sight and the sky turns green with huge storms and tornados . Unable to save his aunt from being stung to death by thousands of hornets and bees, Shane stumbles upon Kelly and her little sister. He finds a car and drives them into town to the high school where many of the surviving children and teenagers have congregated.
After surviving an attack from the escapees of a juvenile prison farm close by, they decide to load all the kids into 3 school buses and drive to the nearest military base, but when they get there, they discover that it is only a matter of time before the fate that has befallen all the adults may soon be their fate too.
Spoiler Alert: A military radio picks up a message from a trapped scientist telling them that the US govt has activated a weapon that operates on the limbic system causing people in cities to attack each other and animals and insects to do likewise. If they don't turn it off, younger and younger people will be effected every 24 hours.
Boys will love this as it has blood and guts on nearly every page but also a realistic hero in Shane who agonises over being thrust into the leadership role. Tracy the daughter of a vet and soldier is also great, as she has tactical knowledge of both medicine and the military to help the survivors. Kelly is a bit wishy washy as a character as all she seems to do is give Shane a reason to live (he has a total crush on her). Don't get too attached to many of the other characters as they drop like flies! ( )
  nicsreads | Apr 2, 2016 |
[The Last Orphans] by [N.W. Harris] was a quick read in my favorite genre of post-apocalyptic novels. The way people survive always gives me hope for society. When all the adults die is sudden and horrible ways Tyler finds himself taking care of the survivors. Can he save them before it is too late. ( )
  MsHooker | Nov 21, 2015 |
Published by Clean Teen Publishing, the Last Orphans is a teen horror novel with lots of violence and gore, minimal swearing, great characters, and enough fast action to outweigh any plot holes and keep the pages turning.

The story starts with Shane, a genuinely nice young man with a tough life that’s about to become much worse. When bees and wasps go on the attack, cattle charge their fences, and adults die in increasingly horrifying ways, Shane finds himself the reluctant leader of a band of youthful survivors. Inspired by a much-loved sports coach, he calls his team together while hints of Lord of the Flies draw near.

The plot eventually hinges on a fairly simplistic quest, but excitement rises as our band of heroes meets unexpected enemies and friends. The Last Orphans is a clean-enough, thoroughly scary tale of horror and post-apocalyptic survival, great for teens with strong stomachs, and a fast, good read.

Disclosure: I bought a free ecopy and I offer my honest review. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Aug 4, 2015 |
Great story.. a bit different to the usual post-apocalyptic scenario, but I was a bit disappointed with thend ending.. not quite as believable as the rest of the book. ( )
  Mecaza | Jun 23, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,754,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible