Letting Go into Perfect Love: Discovering…

Letting Go into Perfect Love: Discovering the Extraordinary After Abuse

by Gwendolyn M. Plano

821,035,133 (5)None

I’ve read/reviewed all genres of books including one which tells the story of a young girl finding what she’d believed had been the type of relationship she’s always dreamt of having with a man and despite her parents desires, runs off and marries him. It is only then she realizes the reality she’s unfortunately had gotten herself, and ultimately her child, involved in until she finds the way out; and the rollercoaster existence she went through until she finds the happiness she’s longed for. The story reads like a diary, a secret diary the character is allowing others to read.

The only difference between this book and the one I’m reviewing here is one major fact, and that difference is the one I’m reviewing now is REAL LIFE and the other had been merely a fictionalized version of it. As I read this book I had to keep reminding myself of this point several times.

The reality of what the author had to live through is a horror no woman wants to endure, let alone dream about. The only thing which kept her going, even though I believe she saw no light at the end of the dark tunnel she’s been trapped in, had been her faith and her theological education. The writing which Ms. Plano uses takes her readers into her life and allows them to feel the pain and everything else she’s gone through without, I feel, holding back any of the horrendous details.

For allowing us to feel her pain, I see no reason I shouldn’t give this book 5 STARS. ( )
  MyPenNameOnly | Jul 13, 2015 |
With lyrical prose and raw honesty, Gwendolyn opens up her heart and takes our hand to lead us through her spiritual journey from abused wife to a strong woman who finds peace and joy in her life. In an introduction that reads like a love letter to her readers, she describes how sharing her painful past with two abusive husbands helped her find a pathway to healing. She invites us to find ourselves in her story, even if our circumstances are different. “Hope may elude us as love withers, but with time, the door of hope opens and we acquiesce to possibility. It is about the ebb and flow of that journey that I write.”

Through heartbreaking details, we see not only the struggles but also the resilience of a woman who is trying to remain strong for her children. I will not judge her for staying for 25 years in a second marriage for the sake of her children for I have made the same mistake twice, too. Rather, I see her strength and fierce love as a mother and I trust she will find her way in time. I trust she is acting in good faith and doing the best she can. She is authentic and believable. When she shares her experience about angel interventions, I am with her. It is through this authenticity, her positive attitude and perseverance that I connect with her and her hard earned journey to freedom.

This riveting spiritual memoir conveys hope and redemption to anyone who has ever suffered in an abusive relationship. Her writing is fluid and eloquent and her story has universal appeal. I highly recommend this beautiful book and commend the author for sharing so openly. ( )
  kathleen.pooler | Jul 7, 2015 |

Plano recounts her experiences in a twenty-five-year abusive marriage, and as a survivor who came out of that relationship determined to start over, artfully depicting the challenges and triumphs of balancing the obligations of motherhood and career with her family's healing process. Alternately heart-wrenching and joyful, this is a story of triumph over adversity--one woman's inspiring account of learning how to forgive the unforgivable, recover her sense of self, open her heart, and honor the journey home.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,574,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible