Dying for a Living (Jesse Sullivan, #1) by…

Dying for a Living (Jesse Sullivan, #1)

by Kory M. Shrum

An Interesting twist on zombies. I'm actually looking forward to reading what will happen next. The dog lives in the end. ( )
  timidmagick | Dec 11, 2016 |
This was a fun, yet addictive read. I wanted something a little light, a little not normal so checked out fantasy on my kindle. Boy, am I glad I did, I found engaging characters with just a dash of snark, a mystery and a fantasy world where you may not need to die in an accident. I became so caught up in the tale that I ran out (to my kindle) and bought book 2.

When the police procedural pales and suspense feels maybe a little overwhelming or tedious I recommend you sit down by the fire or the sea side, take a load off, and have a little fun! ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 2, 2016 |
This is a solid urban fantasy with just a touch of romance. There is a lot going on, though, so it requires a careful read.
  bookwyrmm | May 13, 2016 |
Dying for a Living was a book that I actually downloaded on a whim. I was searching for free books to add to my kindle and I came across this one. It'd been on my Kindle for an unknown amount of time and I really wanted something overly fictional.
Honestly, this book was.......

You can find the rest of this review (along with many more) on the CommonBookSense blog!

http://commonbooksense.blogspot.com/2016/02/DyingForALivingBookReview.html ( )
  CommonBookSense | Mar 19, 2016 |
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

I “met” Kory M. Shrum on Twitter, and the blurb for her book did its job. I picked up copy of Dying for a Living shortly thereafter because it reminded me a little of the television show Dead Like Me which I very much enjoyed. Life intervened, and the book got lost on my Kindle, but it stayed in the back of my mind and recently popped to the top of my reading list.

I’m sorry it took me so long.

This book is all about the snark. It is an interesting premise played out in a viable manner with a crossover of science and magic to make it vaguely plausible. Though having only the most superficial connection with the world building of Dead Like Me, Dying for a Living manages to mimic the mood and tone of that television show well enough to be equally entertaining.

The premise is simple: Through a trick of fate, some people just don’t stay dead. Even better, they are able to take the place of one-life people to buy them more time if present at the moment of accidental death. They can’t save everyone, but when death strikes out of the blue with no cause beyond being in the wrong place at the wrong time, that’s when the Necronites or death replacement agents step in…for a hefty fee.

Jesse is neurotic, flighty, full of issues, and fascinating, especially because she has a firm heart for all she’s determined to ignore it. She has little patience for her clients who tend to have more money than sense, is wary of her handler, and is reluctant to commit to anyone because of the above mentioned issues. Smart-mouthed, amusing, and yet with a serious depth she tries her best to hide, dismiss, and otherwise pretend doesn’t exist, Jesse connected with me as a reader.

This is a story not so much about Necronites but rather about the special people in Jesse’s life. The focus is on her friends, her mentors, and all the connections Jesse has made despite herself. These relationships come with burdens as well as joy she tries hard not to feel.

Which is not to say this is a tear-soaked melodrama. The description might have worked if not for the tone and an underlying murder mystery that has Jesse a suspect in a federal investigation when she’s very much a victim.

Yes, Necronites can die with real, permanent deaths in the right circumstances. And even if they don’t, the act of replacement appears to drive them slowly insane, possibly one reason not all Necronites are eager to take on the role of death replacement agents.

There’s a pinch of mystery and a good dose of thriller binding together the emotional connections in this novel, and it all comes together into an enjoyable read. I’ve already recommended Dying for a Living once and will likely do so again because it was just that fun. Seriously, pick it up for the snark and twisted humor, but it sticks because of the people in Jesse’s life. The ending is satisfying on one hand and very much the beginning of a series on the other, with both mystery and mayhem still to come. ( )
  MarFisk | Aug 2, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 099121580X, Paperback)

On the morning before her 67th death, it is business as usual for Jesse Sullivan: meet with the mortician, counsel soon-to-be-dead clients, and have coffee while reading the latest regeneration theory. Jesse dies for a living, literally. As a Necronite, she is one of the population’s rare 2% who can serve as a death replacement agent, dying so others don’t have to. Although each death is different, the result is the same: a life is saved, and Jesse resurrects days later with sore muscles, new scars, and another hole in her memory. But when Jesse is murdered and becomes the sole suspect in a federal investigation, more than her freedom and sanity are at stake. She must catch the killer herself—or die trying.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:54 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Kory M. Shrum's book Dying for a Living was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Kory M. Shrum is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,071,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible