Jack and Djinn by Jasinda Wilder

Jack and Djinn

by Jasinda Wilder

For full review: http://bambi-unbridled.blogspot.com/2015/02/review-jack-and-djinn-by-jasinda-wil...

This was a great little read. Contemporary romance with a touch of the paranormal. It was also different from other paranormal series I have read.

Let's start with Miriam, who is a djinni. I have read stories about djinn before, but the djinn were always men. The Oracle by Thea Harrison and The Sylph series by LJ McDonald come to mind. Miriam is an American of Islamic descent, her parents being Iraqi immigrants. Miriam is westernized - she doesn't wear a Habib and she consorts with men. This is quite scandalous to others in the Islamic culture. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to connect with Miri's character as I am a reader that envisions myself in the lead role. And I, being so white-bread American, sometimes have a difficult time connecting with other cultures in the lead role. But that wasn't the case here, I liked Miri and she got my empathy going. I think her being westernized helped with that somewhat. I did find myself being a tad annoyed with her at times, and you will see why. But Jasinda has a great author's note at the end to explain things. My heart goes out to her and I'm really glad she has her Jack.

Now... let's talk about Jack. I loved Jack and his whole family. He has a huge Irish family and I could just picture their antics as I was reading. There were some scenes that reminded me of Snatch, so I was picturing Jack as Brad Pitt for the rest of the book. I hope we get to see more of grandpa Sean in future books. And if Sean is based on a real person - I want to steal him! Otherwise, you may find me lurking around the Irish Channel and pubs in the area looking for my own Irishman. I have freckles out the wazoo (literally, the wazoo) so I tend go for the ones they call "Black Irish" - the swarthy Pict-like complexion, dark hair, mesmerizing eyes, and great accent. If you see one of the's hanging around, I CALL DIBS!

The book was told in first person, alternating between Miriam and the delectable Detective Carson, who I connected with right from the first page because of this:

Carson stood up and wiped the pen on his pant leg, wishing he hadn’t just poked a dead body with it—he had a tendency to chew on his pens.

I totally was chewing in a pen when I read that, so of course I started freaking out about where it had been. Ew, I want to bleach my mouth out. I think the next book in the series is going to me Carson's story... so we'll be seeing a lot more of him. There was some foreshadowing in this book of what I think we will be seeing later in the series. It sounds interesting so you will definitely want to keep reading. Plus, if you've read Alpha and Beta, you know that Jasinda is really good at writing smexytime!

Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
3.5 Stars from Betweenthebind.blogspot.com

Jack and Djinn begins with two detectives at a murder scene - an unrecognizably burned body was found in a casino. However, the fire seemed to only burn the victim, not anything around him, leaving the detectives baffled.

We quickly skip back to a few weeks before the incident and meet Miriam, our female protagonist. Miriam has led quite a difficult life. She lost the only positive male figure in her life at the tender age of 11, her mom abandoned her as a teenager, and every man she dates is *eventually* physically abusive.

So when she met Jack, she couldn't have been more surprised and he couldn't have come at a more difficult time in her life. Weird things keep happening and somehow, Miriam believes she's responsible for them.

The story develops over a course of a few weeks, jumping from the past to the present and then meshing together at the end. I thought Ms. Sweetapple did a wonderful job jumping back and forth between past and present. It was actually one of my favorite parts of the book.

Although I enjoyed the writing style, I really didn't connect with Miriam. She was much to weak of a character for me to relate to. I was extremely frustrated with her relationship with Ben, but not in a good way. I've read several books with broken characters but Miriam wasn't broken enough for me to feel sorry for and she wasn't strong enough for me to respect. She just walked the muddy middle road. However, she did begin to grow on me and by the end of the book I enjoyed her much more, it just took a long while.

Jack was a great character - although again, not relatable. He got stronger with each page turn and I truly enjoyed his real-life moments. I would say the character who made the most sense was Ben, our villan. Ben was completely hate-able and I enjoyed every minute of hating on him!

I gave this book 3.5 stars because even with the above issues, I really saw Ms. Sweetwater grow throughout this book, creating a unique plot with difficulties that truly affect the reader. I just hope that the characters in the second installment grip me a bit tighter. ( )
  BetweentheBind | Aug 16, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,704,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible