Displacement by Lucy Knisley

Displacement

by Lucy Knisley

1381286,938 (4)47

I was very happy to receive an ARC of this! I've been a fan of Lucy Knisley for a while. I believe I was first introduced to her work through other artists I follow on DeviantArt. Her comics are like a journal entry from a friend. Very personal and sincere. If you haven't followed her comic, please visit: lucyknisley.com/comic/

Overall, with Displacement: A Travelogue, I was very impressed by her honest and sensitive exploration of aging and her relationship to her grandparents. Before reading it, I wrongly assumed there would be the old stereotype of grandparents nagging younger generations about marriage, kids, work, and the good old days. I'm happy to report that Displacement is so much more than that. It's a very mature look at family, caring for elderly family members, allowing them to still have their freedoms, working to preserve their legacy, and striving to grow closer.

I was a little shocked that with health problems and Alzheimer's, Knisley's grandparents wanted to go on a cruise. The line between safety and freedom was very thought-provoking. I appreciated Knisley's honesty that if she didn't go with her grandparents, few people in her family would. I hate to think of what could have happened to the couple if she hadn't been there. Helping them was a major undertaking that not many individual would have wanted to do alone.

I definitely plan to read more of Knisley's work in the future! I've enjoyed her strong and authentic voice. ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
I loved this bittersweet tale of a young woman taking her elderly grandparents on a cruise. If you are dealing with someone older on a daily basis, many things will ring true. I thought she dealt with the complex subjects of doing good and family demands remarkably well. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Jun 25, 2017 |
Just delightful—a story of the author accompanying her elderly grandparents on a cruise. What can I say?—a lot of the dementia jokes made me laugh out loud, which is always a good thing. It was very sweet and funny. ( )
  lisapeet | Jun 4, 2017 |
When Lucy's grandparents, now living in an assisted living facility and dealing with limited mobility (grandfather) and memory loss (grandmother), decide to go on a cruise the family is worried enough that her offer to go with them is greatly appreciated. What follows is the graphic novel format memoir of their adventures, where young adult Lucy reflects on not just aging but on her changing relationship with them and her grandfather's experiences as a soldier in World War 2.

I was introduced to Lucy's particular flavor of graphic memoirs with An Age of License. She has a unique confessional flavor so I feel like I'm reading a comic book diary and getting a window into her experiences and thoughts. It worked extremely well for this story, exploring the complex relationship she has with her grands, mortality, memory... it's sad and sometimes funny, and anyone who's had to see a loved one deteriorate will be able to relate to at least some of it. Highly recommended. ( )
  bell7 | Jul 19, 2016 |
Well, thanks a lot, Lucy. Now I'm sad about my own aging grandmother. :(

But this really was the sweetest little memoir. It was just so lovely. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

"In the next installment of her graphic memoir series, Displacement, Knisley volunteers to watch over her ailing grandparents on a cruise. (The book's watercolors evoke the ocean that surrounds them.) In a book that is part graphic memoir, part travelogue, and part family history, Knisley not only tries to connect with her grandparents, but to reconcile their younger and older selves. She is aided in her quest by her grandfather's WWII memoir, which is excerpted. Readers will identify with Knisley's frustration, her fears, her compassion, and her attempts to come to terms with mortality, as she copes with the stress of travel complicated by her grandparents' frailty" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,453,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible