The Small House at Allington by Anthony…

The Small House at Allington (1864)

by Anthony Trollope (Author)

Series: The Chronicles of Barsetshire (5)

1,167256,945 (4.02)4 / 167

(9) Another chunky installment of 'The Barsetshire Chronicles,' the 5th to be exact. Trollope introduces us to yet again another case of characters who live in the English countryside in the vicinity of Barsetshire. There are a few whom we have met before, mainly the group at De Courcy Castle (The Gresham's snobby, ghastly relations from 'Dr. Thorne') as well as Laby Dombello, formerly known as Griselda Grantly. But mainly these are new people. Adolphus Crosbie, the grasping socialite, whose star is on the rise and Lily Dale, the unfortunate young girl to whom he decides to propose although she is poor. He is temporarily dazzled by her beauty and gaiety, as well as expecting her childless uncle the Earl of Something or Other to provide for her. Crosbie regrets his decision almost instantly as he thinks about his straightened life in London married to a poor country girl . . . and then it all falls apart. Worse for Crosbie in the end then Lily Dale.

I quite agree with Trollope himself in regards to Lilly's character although apparently she was beloved at the time the novel was written. Who Lilly would ultimately marry was the big buzz in 186_ when the novel was published in serial form and apparently many disgruntled readers plagued Trollope with letters over the years. I liked this installment about as well as the others. Some parts were written deliciously miserable, such as the horror of Crosbie's eventual marriage. And some parts were not great - Eames adventures in London with the boarding house people were tiresome. It seemed a bit uneven, but easily readable. I am either getting accustomed to his style finally or this novel was less dense in terms of diction because I read it much faster despite its length.

I am enjoying the series but I am finding that I want more follow-up and interaction with all the characters that have come before. These really essentially are stand alone novels more so than a series per se and I find the lack of significant connection and story continuance a bit disappointing. I will definitely finish the series but doubt I will then move on to the 5 or 6 novels in his Palliser series. ( )
  jhowell | Mar 7, 2015 |
Lily Dale falls in love with Adolphus Crosbie and they become engaged. Then he jilts her and marries Alexandrina, the daughter of the Earl de Courcy. That is one strand of the story. Then there is John Eames, a clerk in the income tax office, who also loves Lily, but who nevertheless becomes entangled with Amelia, the daughter of his landlady. John has a colleague and fellow-lodger, Cradell, who flirts with the married Mrs Lupex. Lily has a sister, Bell, who refuses to marry her cousin and accepts instead a doctor, who has loved her for years. Griselda (nee Grantley) almost flirts with Plantagenet Palliser, but doesn't. This is a long novel and not all of the strands seemed to fit well together: in particular, some of the Lupex/Roper/Cradell characters seemed to have wandered in from a different novel.

I liked the Bell and Dr Crofts storyline, but it was a bit underwritten. All the scenes with the despicable Crosbie and his appalling in-laws were enjoyable. Lily was extremely annoying and needs to wake up to the fact that you can't go on loving someone like Crosbie and retain your mental health. John Eames was also rather tiresome, so maybe in the next book they will end up together and that would suit me. ( )
  pgchuis | Dec 12, 2014 |
The summary of this novel, which I read first, gave away a surprising amount of the story. In all honesty I think Trollope’s novels are less about the plot than they are about the social interaction and moral development of the characters, so it didn’t really bother me.

"Engaged to the ambitious and self-serving Adolphus Crosbie, Lily Dale is devastated when he jilts her for the aristocratic Lady Alexandrina. Although crushed by his faithlessness, Lily still believes she is bound to her unworthy former fiancé for life and therefore condemned to remain single after his betrayal. And when a more deserving suitor pays his addresses, she is unable to see past her feelings for Crosbie.”

The Dale women, Lily and her sister Bell and their mother, were wonderful. At their core all they want is for the others to find true happiness. They are fiercely protective of each other and their wishes. Some of my favorite scenes in the book are when they stand up for the decisions someone in their family has made, without asking any questions of each other. Lily talks to the local doctor, James Crofts, in an effort to secure happiness for her sister. Their mother talks to the girls’ uncle about a potential match but refuses to force or encourage her daughter to make the match against her will. They are strong women who refuse to betray each other for a shot at money or luxury.

I keep finding shades of Austen in all of the Trollope I read. Both authors share similar themes and styles, though Austen's work has a bit more bite. This one reminded me so much of Sense and Sensibility. Bell is like Eleanor, steady and logical. Lily is brasher and reminded me so much of Marianne. She falls in love with an unworthy man, turning down someone who would truly be a great match. Unfortunately for Lily, unlike Marianne she never quite recovers from that love.

The girls’ mother is an interesting character as well. She struggles with whether she's done right by her children, even though they love her dearly. She worries that they are possibly giving up opportunities out of a loyalty to her. It's the endless struggle of any parents, constantly asking yourself if you’re making the best choices for your kids.

The male characters in this novel are a mixed bag. Eames is a worthy man, I found myself rooting for him. The girls’ uncle is harsh and struggles to connect with them. He does love them, but that feeling is wrapped deep within his other layers of formality and stiffness. He has such a hard time conveying his feelings and his actions often come across as obligation instead of love. Crosbie is just a jerk, to put it nicely. I wanted to smack him and he deserved his fate.

Side note: We also get to see Griselda again and it’s a bit tragic to see what her life has become.

One of the books best lines comes from Lily’s mother’s reaction when her daughter is jilted by Crosbie:

“Mrs. Dale had felt in her heart that it would be well if Crosbie could be beaten until all his bones were sore.”

My only real complaint about this one was that I wanted something better for Lily. I wanted her to find love. I wanted her to realize that she deserved someone better than Crosbie. I wanted a happy ending for her because it seemed like the novel was begging for one! It’s definitely not that I think everyone needs to be married to be happy, but it felt like she gave up on pursuing any happiness in some misplaced sense of loyalty for a man that didn’t deserve her.

BOTTOM LINE: Another delightful read. It’s not my favorite of the series, but I once again enjoyed being lost in Trollope’s world of Barsetshire. ( )
  bookworm12 | Aug 11, 2014 |
Yet another in the long line of novels where I prefer the down to earth, solid, dependable woman to the charming, flirty, romantic woman; if Trollope's autobiography is to be believed, he agrees with me: Bell, not Lily! C'mon people! Bell's the one who recognizes that "everything that is, is wrong." Adorno in a Victorian novel? She might be my dream girl.
Otherwise, this is the second best of the Barchester novels so far. If it hadn't been written as the generic multi-volume monster, it might even have been the best: there's no cheery, happy ending but there's still plenty of Trollope's usual wit. The plot is very well done, and more interesting than Dr Thorne's- here you get all the lurv stuff, but also plenty of politics and property. The characters/caricatures are all pretty convincing. Also, I over-identified with Johnny Eames. I, too, went through a long period of hobbledehoyhood. Perhaps it continues. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
Whew. I love Trollope's Chronicles of Barsetshire, but this, the 5th in the series, was a long one. The Penguin Classics print edition is 752 pages, so I am happy I have this series on my Kindle. But anyway, about the book ... I enjoy being immersed in Trollope's scenes of 19th Century England, and especially village life and the relationship (or lack thereof) between the classes. Every reading session was a nice escape from my day-to-day cares. And yet, I enjoyed this book less than others in the series. There are several leading male and female characters, but I didn't feel I got to know any of them well enough to become emotionally invested in their stories. The story revolves around sisters Lily and Isabel (Bell) Dale, who are courted by various men. These men range from desirable to loathsome, and Lily is treated poorly by one of them. There is an amusing scene in which the rake gets his comeuppance, but I was annoyed with Lily for the rest of the novel. There are subplots involving Lily and Bell's mother, and various gentry, that kept things interesting. So all in all, a good read but not my favorite. ( )
  lauralkeet | Sep 21, 2013 |

Tillotson, KathleenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trollope, JoannaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, TimothyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Of course there was a Great House at Allington.
The door of the big room was opened, and Mr Kissing shuffled in with very quick little steps. He shuffled in and coming direct up to John’s desk, flopped his ledger down upon it. . .. ‘I have been half the morning, Mr Eames, looking for this letter to the Admiralty, and you’ve put it under S!’ A bystander listening to Mr Kissing’s tone would have been led to believe that the whole Income-tax Office was jeopardised by the terrible iniquity thus disclosed.
‘Somerset House,’ pleaded Johnny.
‘Psha; —Somerset House! Half the offices in London—’
‘You’d better ask Mr Love,’ said Eames. ‘It’s all done under his special instructions.’ Mr Kissing looked at Mr Love, and Mr Love looked steadfastly at his desk. ‘Mr Love knows all about the indexing,’ continued Johnny. ‘He’s index master general to the department.

Engaged to the ambitious and self-serving Adolphus Crosbie, Lily Dale is devastated when he jilts her for the aristocratic Lady Alexandrina. Although crushed by his faithlessness, Lily still believes she is bound to her unworthy former fiance for life and therefore condemned to remain single after his betrayal. And when a more deserving suitor pays his addresses, she is unable to see past her feelings for Crosbie. Written when Trollope was at the height of his popularity, The Small House at Allington (1864) contains his most admired heroine in Lily Dale a young woman of independent spirit who nonetheless longs to be loved and is a moving dramatization of the ways in which personal dilemmas are affected by social pressures.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:23 -0400)

Lily is the niece of Squire Dale, an embittered old bachelor entrenched in the "great house" at Allington. His sister-in-law lives at the adjacent "small house" with her two daughters Lily and Bell, and the story centres on the relations between the two houses.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140433252, 0141199652

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,973,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible