The Small House at Allington by Anthony…

The Small House at Allington (1864)

by Anthony Trollope

Series: The Barsetshire Chronicles (5)

1,198286,687 (4.01)4 / 176

Trollope's fifth book in The Chronicles of Barsetshire involves a love triangle. The three main characters are the handsome but unlikeable Adolphus Crosbie; Trollope's hero of the story, John Eames; and Lily Dale, love interest of Crosbie and Eames. There is no happy ever after, tied up with a bow, for these three characters. As with other books by Trollope, there are many wonderful characters. I really liked Lily's mother and sister, Mrs. Dale & Bell, and Squire Dale, Mrs Dale's brother-in-law. Lord De Guest was a particular favorite. There are many characters who had been introduced in previous books - the Courcy Castle with its many unhappy occupants, the Grantleys, and Mr. Harding of The Warden. Plantagenet Palliser, of the Palliser series, is introduced in this book, as he flits, unsuccessfully, like a moth around the flame that is the self important Lady Dumbello, we knew her as Griselda Grantley in earlier books. There are subplots involving a romance for Lily's sister Bell, about the careers of Crosbie and Eames, as well as the boarding house and its colorful residents where Johnny Eames resides. Trollope writes great women characters who have minds of their own. Although, I would have liked to slap Lily Dale several times while reading the book. I love when Trollope adds his asides, as here whenever John Eames was about to make a wrong move he would interject, "Oh, Johnny!, or if the misstep was particularly unfortunate, "Oh, Johnny Eames!.

My only criticism might be that because Trollope wrote these books as serials, there is sometimes a little bit of repetition as he "retells" something from an earlier chapter. I highly recommend this series. ( )
  NanaCC | Sep 28, 2015 |
This one was a bit more melodramatic than I've gotten used to with the Barsetshire books, but I liked it nonetheless.
  JBD1 | Sep 21, 2015 |
This is one of the best books I have ever read, and Trollope is now a writer beloved by me. There are love stories here and young ladies who are of an age to marry. There are main characters that I care about, especially the sisters Lily and Bell Dale, their uncle Squire Christopher Dale, and Bernard who is their cousin and heir to the Squire's estate. One man betrays an innocent young lady and deserves a thrashing. Will he receive one? The story is written in the 1850s and that is the setting of the novel. As several men observe, thirty years ago a duel would have been called, but that time was past. An Earl begins a friendship with a young man who saved the Earl's life from an attack by a bull. The Courcy Castle dysfunctional family plays a big role in this novel. If you have read the Palliser novels or seen the tv series, Plantagenet Palliser is introduced in this novel when he visits Courcy Castle. The Small House at Allington is the fifth book in The Chronicles of Barsetshire, and I suggest reading the books in order, beginning with The Warden. ( )
  hangen | Jul 30, 2015 |
(9) Another chunky installment of 'The Barsetshire Chronicles,' the 5th to be exact. Trollope introduces us to yet again another case of characters who live in the English countryside in the vicinity of Barsetshire. There are a few whom we have met before, mainly the group at De Courcy Castle (The Gresham's snobby, ghastly relations from 'Dr. Thorne') as well as Laby Dombello, formerly known as Griselda Grantly. But mainly these are new people. Adolphus Crosbie, the grasping socialite, whose star is on the rise and Lily Dale, the unfortunate young girl to whom he decides to propose although she is poor. He is temporarily dazzled by her beauty and gaiety, as well as expecting her childless uncle the Earl of Something or Other to provide for her. Crosbie regrets his decision almost instantly as he thinks about his straightened life in London married to a poor country girl . . . and then it all falls apart. Worse for Crosbie in the end then Lily Dale.

I quite agree with Trollope himself in regards to Lilly's character although apparently she was beloved at the time the novel was written. Who Lilly would ultimately marry was the big buzz in 186_ when the novel was published in serial form and apparently many disgruntled readers plagued Trollope with letters over the years. I liked this installment about as well as the others. Some parts were written deliciously miserable, such as the horror of Crosbie's eventual marriage. And some parts were not great - Eames adventures in London with the boarding house people were tiresome. It seemed a bit uneven, but easily readable. I am either getting accustomed to his style finally or this novel was less dense in terms of diction because I read it much faster despite its length.

I am enjoying the series but I am finding that I want more follow-up and interaction with all the characters that have come before. These really essentially are stand alone novels more so than a series per se and I find the lack of significant connection and story continuance a bit disappointing. I will definitely finish the series but doubt I will then move on to the 5 or 6 novels in his Palliser series. ( )
  jhowell | Mar 7, 2015 |
Lily Dale falls in love with Adolphus Crosbie and they become engaged. Then he jilts her and marries Alexandrina, the daughter of the Earl de Courcy. That is one strand of the story. Then there is John Eames, a clerk in the income tax office, who also loves Lily, but who nevertheless becomes entangled with Amelia, the daughter of his landlady. John has a colleague and fellow-lodger, Cradell, who flirts with the married Mrs Lupex. Lily has a sister, Bell, who refuses to marry her cousin and accepts instead a doctor, who has loved her for years. Griselda (nee Grantley) almost flirts with Plantagenet Palliser, but doesn't. This is a long novel and not all of the strands seemed to fit well together: in particular, some of the Lupex/Roper/Cradell characters seemed to have wandered in from a different novel.

I liked the Bell and Dr Crofts storyline, but it was a bit underwritten. All the scenes with the despicable Crosbie and his appalling in-laws were enjoyable. Lily was extremely annoying and needs to wake up to the fact that you can't go on loving someone like Crosbie and retain your mental health. John Eames was also rather tiresome, so maybe in the next book they will end up together and that would suit me. ( )
  pgchuis | Dec 12, 2014 |

Tillotson, KathleenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trollope, JoannaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, TimothyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Of course there was a Great House at Allington.
The door of the big room was opened, and Mr Kissing shuffled in with very quick little steps. He shuffled in and coming direct up to John’s desk, flopped his ledger down upon it. . .. ‘I have been half the morning, Mr Eames, looking for this letter to the Admiralty, and you’ve put it under S!’ A bystander listening to Mr Kissing’s tone would have been led to believe that the whole Income-tax Office was jeopardised by the terrible iniquity thus disclosed.
‘Somerset House,’ pleaded Johnny.
‘Psha; —Somerset House! Half the offices in London—’
‘You’d better ask Mr Love,’ said Eames. ‘It’s all done under his special instructions.’ Mr Kissing looked at Mr Love, and Mr Love looked steadfastly at his desk. ‘Mr Love knows all about the indexing,’ continued Johnny. ‘He’s index master general to the department.

Engaged to the ambitious and self-serving Adolphus Crosbie, Lily Dale is devastated when he jilts her for the aristocratic Lady Alexandrina. Although crushed by his faithlessness, Lily still believes she is bound to her unworthy former fiance for life and therefore condemned to remain single after his betrayal. And when a more deserving suitor pays his addresses, she is unable to see past her feelings for Crosbie. Written when Trollope was at the height of his popularity, The Small House at Allington (1864) contains his most admired heroine in Lily Dale a young woman of independent spirit who nonetheless longs to be loved and is a moving dramatization of the ways in which personal dilemmas are affected by social pressures.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:23 -0400)

Lily is the niece of Squire Dale, an embittered old bachelor entrenched in the "great house" at Allington. His sister-in-law lives at the adjacent "small house" with her two daughters Lily and Bell, and the story centres on the relations between the two houses.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140433252, 0141199652

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,865,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible