Princess Ugg Volume 1 by Ted Naifeh

Princess Ugg Volume 1

by Ted Naifeh

This comic book collection aimed at children more than the adult market is an easy read which is entertaining, well-produced and engaging.

Princess Ulga comes from a Viking-type environment in the mountains and decides to go the city to gain an education. This is part of a quest set by her mother to bring an end to war in her kingdom.
At the school that she attends, she does not fit in with the spoilt princesses from more civilised backgrounds but eventually, by the end of this volume, is starting to make headway in being accepted while learning the ways of diplomacy.

Nicely-drawn, a bit like the French tradition of the “bande dessinée”, the story-telling flows well and I am sure that anyone will find this fun and a relaxing change.

Recommended to all.

PaulAllard | Dec 9, 2015 |
A reasonably interesting story with amusing characters.

I wanted to like this more than I did in the end. Yes this make me smile a few times but not once, while reading this, did I feel connected. I didn't feel anxiety or happy for the characters or situations. I was never awestruck, or intimidated. It was always just me sitting in my chair, looking in on their world. I like ot feel a part of what I an reading. Make me hate or love a character. Or react to a situation. Nothing like that ever happened here.

The story is sound besides the lacking engagement. Ulga is the daughter of Odin and is sent to Princess school where she just doesn't fit in. The other girls are into "fashionable" dresses, dances, riding unicorns, tea time, etc. Ulga was raise for the fight. So she is mocked and exiled apart from the other girls. Her roommate in particular is spiteful and rude.

The did a decent job for most of Ulga's dialect of speech so one thing I can give them is I "heard" her through the pages.

The time period of this seems mixed. the princesses seem to be from different eras making it hard to mix up. The way they talk is often very modern which also clashes with why they tried so hard with Ulga yet went into a near slang speech for them.

So overall I enjoyed it for what it was but was not impressed. For girls who like comics but are sick of she superhero themes, they might enjoy this.

*I was loaned a digital copy of this comic from Diamond Book Distributors and Oni Press via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.*
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
I love Ted Naifeh and the Courtney Crumrin stories so when I got Princess Ugg #1 from Oni Press for review I was SUPER excited to see he wrote it. Princess Ugla is about a girl who is… well… a barbarian, and in this issue she is leaving her home to attend school in a more civilized place. When she arrives all sorts of craziness happens and she has a run in with the princess of the kingdom she is staying in.

Overall this was a great start to a new series, there were a few laugh-out-loud kind of moments and I think Ulga is a wonderful lead female who is strong and stubborn and will be fun to follow as the series progresses. Four stars and I look forward to reading more.

Merged review:

Before getting the first Volume of Princess Ugg from Netgalley I had already read issues one and two of the series; I was excited to read the third issue through this volume and see all the awesome extras that they tend to add to the graphic novels. I was not disappointed. The bonus material was wonderful, images from other artists, variant covers – all of which were fitting and wonderful. I really like this series.

This series is a lot of fun so I have included my reviews of the individual issues below.

Issue #1

Overall this was a great start to a new series, there were a few laugh-out-loud kinds of moments and I think Ulga is a wonderful lead female who is strong and stubborn and will be fun to follow as the series progresses. Four stars and I look forward to reading more.

Issue #2

First off, I have to say that I am really enjoying this series. Princess Ugg is a wonderful character and I think that other readers will enjoy her story as I have. I hope that you can pick it up, happy reading!

Princess Ulga is now in the Princess Academy and trying to fit in, only she can’t; she is too buff, too focused on killing, and not feminine enough for these women. As she struggles through the process of trying to be proper and lady-like she finds herself surrounded by other princesses but so very alone and it starts to take a toll on her.

Where the first issue of this series was funny due to Ulga’s misfortune and ignorance of this new land, this issue is a little depressing. I was sad to see Ulga in this situation, as a strong female but still put down by those around her. I hope that in coming issues she can believe in herself. Issue #2 was another great installment in this new series.

Issue #3

Oh Ulga, I think you are wonderful. In this installment Ugg is trying to really adapt to her school and the people and it is the beginning of a new chapter for her. We get a lot more of her back-story as well and I loved that. The art is spectacular, characters are super detailed throughout and I love the way this story is progressing. I really love the character development in this series, it is SO good; Ulga is adapting and the other girls aren’t quite as annoying as before. This issue again brought back some of those really funny moments which I really liked, only they are spun around and not due to misfortune or accidents. ( )
  sszkutak | Feb 11, 2015 |
A typical story of a barbarian princess come down to "princess" school to find she doesn't fit in with all the other kinds of princesses. Not too much happens in Volume 1 mostly concentrating on us getting to know the characters which focuses heavily on Princess Ulga. The story was fun, though hardly impressive, the art on the otherhand was outstanding and had me in awe from page one. ( )
  ElizaJane | Sep 26, 2014 |
Despite being a familiar story of a strong-willed character trying to find where she fits in to her new situation, Ted Naifeh's art is beautiful as always and the characters really shine. I have already marked this book for purchase for my library. ( )
  zenobia158 | Aug 12, 2014 |

"Princess ?Ulga isn't your standard princess, but her royal lineage goes back for generations. At her mother's bequest, [she] travels to the city-state of Atraesca, where the prestigious Princess Academy lies, so that she can learn about things like diplomacy-- hopefully for the benefit of her rough and tumble people. But ?Ulga will learn that she's more behind in her studies than she realized-- and that when you're a princess, you're bound to have a few enemies"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,645,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible