Food: A Love Story by Jim Gaffigan

Food: A Love Story

by Jim Gaffigan

I reviewed the audiobook version of Mr. Gaffigan’s Dad is Fat for Cannonball Read 5. He’s back with a new book, which I only discovered because of its prominent display at the bookstore, and the cover. The cover is clever – a cake topper version of Mr. Gaffigan next to a cake topper version of a hot dog, on top of a fancy wedding cake.

The book behind the cover is a nice, light, entertaining read. It’s a bit of a mishmash, with everything connected to Mr. Gaffigan’s love of food. But not in a ‘foodie’ way. Nope, this is about his love of all food, not just artisanal cheese from locally sourced cows. Sure, he devotes a fair amount of space to fancy steak, but a lot of it is about things like McDonalds, hot dogs, and pizza. It’s a hodgepodge that seems even more disconnected than your average collection of essays, and yet it still works. It’s something I appreciate, especially as I am someone who loves food as well.

In the beginning he talks through his view of the food that each region of the U.S. is known for, from coffee in the Pacific Northwest to crab in Maryland. As an aside, he is not a fan of the seafood the east coast loves – he refers to lobster and crab as sea bugs. I can relate. As a comedian who travels for a living, he is in the somewhat rare position of being able to share a pretty well-informed opinion about the different food available in cities across the U.S., large and small. Not many of us can say we’ve eaten in dozens of towns across the fifty states.

The book took a while to get going for me, but once it did, I found myself giggling and cackling, annoying my husband as I insisted on reading passage after passage out loud to him. The book is fun, and a nice read for when everything else has been just a little too much. October was a mostly shitty month in many ways, and an exhausting one at work, so this was what I needed. It isn’t perfect – the beginning does wander dangerously close to fat shaming – but for the most part it’s a nice palate cleanser between the heavier stuff.
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
I love food. I love food so much that my vacations often revolve around food. I thought for sure that I would relate more to this book and find it hilarious, but I just didn't. To be honest some of what he was saying kind of grossed me out a little. I'm also surprised to admit that I found myself zoning out a few times throughout the book. I'm not quite sure who I would recommend this book to. (Maybe someone with really terrible eating habits?) I really enjoyed his other book, but not this one. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
He's quite funny, but the food angle got a bit tiring. I did laugh out loud a dew times, so he gets three stars. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
The first-line audience for this book is Jim Gaffigan fans, and for that audience this is a glaring disappointment. This book is nothing more than a nigh-on verbatim transcription of all of his previously available CD's and DVDs with a few transitions thrown in for organization. If you know Jim and his material already this is a complete and utter waste of time and money. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
If you love to laugh, you will like this book!! So funny. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Jan 6, 2017 |

“What are my qualifications to write this book? None really. So why should you read it? Here’s why: I’m a little fat. If a thin guy were to write about a love of food and eating I’d highly recommend that you do not read his book.”

Bacon. McDonalds. Cinnabon. Hot Pockets. Kale. Stand-up comedian and author Jim Gaffigan has made his career rhapsodizing over the most treasured dishes of the American diet (“choking on bacon is like getting murdered by your lover”) and decrying the worst offenders (“kale is the early morning of foods”). Fans flocked to his New York Times bestselling book Dad is Fat to hear him riff on fatherhood but now, in his second book, he will give them what they really crave—hundreds of pages of his thoughts on all things culinary(ish). Insights such as: why he believes coconut water was invented to get people to stop drinking coconut water, why pretzel bread is #3 on his most important inventions of humankind (behind the wheel and the computer), and the answer to the age-old question “which animal is more delicious: the pig, the cow, or the bacon cheeseburger?”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:10 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,939,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible