Lucky's Girl by William Holloway

Lucky's Girl

by William Holloway

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An interesting book. The main character, Lucky, had a Charles Manson vibe to him that was palpable and monstrous. Portions of the book left me unsettled and the bestiality was especially one of those parts. There was too much sex and the idea of Lucky marrying a young girl was creepy. It was a bloody and distributing book. It sounded like it would be a good book but I was disappointed and for the most part had a hard time reading it. I didn't find it a horror book really. I wasn't scared just unsettled. If shock value was the goal then that was achieved. ( )
  deemelody | Apr 24, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm not averse to uncomfortable themes, splatterpunk or extreme storytelling, but when nothing else surrounding the most gruesome and disturbing elements of your story works, even the "shock factor" of the story becomes ineffective. This is only worsened when the extended torture and horror just starts to feel like padding. It might not be very fair to William Holloway, as he's not the only author guilty of this, but fewer and fewer authors--particularly horror authors--seem interested in (or, perhaps, capable of) writing lean horror fiction. Shaving this novel by about a third would do wonders for its effectiveness. Sluggishness and brutality is often a poor mix. ( )
  jcompton | Dec 8, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Growing up in the small, secluded and impoverished Elton Township on Michigan's Upper Peninsula, Kenny and his best friend Mason, aka Lucky try to make the best of life. Lucky earns his nickname by being able to talk his way out of anything and by being able to seemingly bend people to his will by his voice. Kenny's uncle starts to notice Lucky going out to Grove Island with a sack, a sack of live animals that he sacrifices to the large Pine tree on the island. From there, Kenny's uncle, the mayor and the policeman realize that Lucky has unearthed something evil and drive him out of town. Years later, Kenny returns to Elton Township with his kids after the death of his wife, he finds that his childhood friend has also returned to release the full extent of the force that resides on Grove Island.

This book is very strange and disturbing, not one for the faint of heart. In the first part of the book, the suspense builds. Kenny and Lucky's characters are reunited after many years, and then their past together is explored. Lucky is a very interesting character, the son of the local Reverend, but with a highly manipulative personality. At first I didn't know if Lucky was just overly charismatic and a bit of a sociopath, or if something else was going on. The transitions between the past backstory and the present happening were a little choppy for me, I think it would have been better just to keep a chronological time line. At about the halfway point, when we return to the present, things start getting gory and perverse fairly quickly. Lucky's talents increase exponentially when he returns to Elton Township and he creates mayhem. I did like the overall idea of the story, but it could use some better execution. I think it would have been interesting to delve deeper into the history of the force on Grove Island as a horror aspect rather than relying on suspense and shock value.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | Dec 6, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lucky's Girl by William Holloway seemed as though it was going to be a great story, however by the middle of the book, I was becoming disappointed. I felt at times there were disconnects in the story as far as who was who and what they had to do with the main characters. There were areas where more description could have been used to get a better picture of the scene. The beginning of the book was very interesting and held my interest until the point where Lucky returned for his Father’s funeral. After that, the story became disorganized with itself. This book has great potential of becoming a fantastic thriller, however, it does seem as though the author was trying to end the story quickly without much thought. ( )
  llovell | Nov 13, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was excited to receive this e-book from the early reviewer's program. Generally I enjoy a good thriller/horror story. "Lucky's Girl" was an extreme dissapointment. The general idea had promise but the author just went crazy and way too far into the gruesome and grotesque. The story seemed forced, as if the author was trying to make it good by shocking readers with themes of rape, incest, devil worship, etc. Bad form, Mr. Holloway. I made it about half way through and I just couldn't bear to read another word; I deleted it from my kindle. I will not be reading anything by this author in the future.
  ChandiAsh | Nov 10, 2014 |

Something has awakened on Grove Island. Something that, even in sleep, has held Elton Township in its black embrace. Something old, wise and patient. Something that walked the ancient forests and howled beneath black skies.

Kenny McCord had a good life - his own slice of the American Dream. But all of that is over, so he is heading home to the small town he left behind so many years ago. However Kenny is not the only son that has returned to Elton Township. His childhood friend, and worst enemy, has come back to settle old scores and, quite literally, raise a little hell.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

William Holloway's book Lucky's Girl was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,747,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible