Crossing the Ice by Jennifer Comeaux

Crossing the Ice

by Jennifer Comeaux

I am a huge figure skating fan and I obviously love books but I had never read a book about figure skating. Before I started the book, I kept thinking I would either love it or hate it. But as soon as I started reading, I quickly realized it was going to be the latter. Crossing the Ice was funny, nerve-wrecking, sweet, and above all very entertaining.

I thoroughly enjoyed the interactions between Courtney and Josh and in various occasions I found myself laughing out loud. Josh was a different kind of leading man than I'm used to, but it was a refreshing change. I loved his patience, his sweetness and his overall goodness. Then, I found myself biting my nails during the competition and experiencing the same kind of conflicted feelings that Courtney and Josh were battling. It was very emotional and I felt a special connection with this book. I would highly recommend it, whether you are a figure skating fan or not, you are definitely going to enjoy it. It is very well written; the story flows perfectly, keeping you engaged the whole time.

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  SpellboundRDR | Jun 19, 2015 |
audio review coming January 15th for Tour
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I had no expectations heading into this. I knew it was a romance set on the ice and that was good enough for me. I ended up really enjoying it. I listened to the audiobook and found reasons to take extra walks during the day so I could listen to more. The narrator, Emily Stokes, does a really good job. There were a few technical issues in Chapter 5 that should have been edited out, and other than the little kid voices she does that grated on my nerves, I thought the production was top notch.

Courtney and Mark are pairs skaters with their sights set on the Olympics. Josh and Stephanie are their competition. So when Courtney and Josh develop feelings for each other, things are going to get interesting. And they do. Jennifer Comeaux creates sexual tension with the best romance writers. The chemistry between Josh and Court is palpable.

The story has two main plots -- the skating competition and the romance -- and both are done really well. The pacing is slow in a few spots, but for the most part, it's a compelling tale of love and skating. About the only thing that didn't work for me was the lack of sex. No, I don't need steamy sex in a new adult novel. In fact, I'm okay if all the sex takes place off the page. But I had a hard time buying that it didn't even happen there. Or anywhere. These are young, vibrant, attractive people with healthy sex drives and no real compelling reasons not to engage in a physical relationship. I could have bought into a religious, or any deeply held belief, that kept them chaste. However, that unbelievable aspect didn't keep me from enjoying this otherwise angst-ridden tale.

Plot
Both plots are strong. The competition was intense and I felt like I was right there with them, battling for a place on the Olympic team. The romance was equally well done, with the push and pull of a forbidden love that is meant to be. There were several subplots, including Josh's relationship with his parents and Courtney's college plans, that were woven into the main plots seamlessly.

Characters
Courtney was fantastic. I love that she's not perfect. She's flawed in the best of ways that only makes her more human. And Josh is sweet and sensitive. It's refreshing to read about a male lead who isn't an alpha male yet still comes across as incredibly sexy. His vulnerability only adds to his attractiveness. I haven't read any other books by Jennifer Comeaux, but I get the feeling that Em and Sergei were developed in an earlier novel, yet their characters are fully developed here.

Steph, Josh's sister, is the only character I felt came across as stereotypical, but it fit the plot, so I'm not going to complain too much. And I do like that she didn't change to become someone more likeable. Her role as the antagonist served a purpose and she does it well.

World Building
For someone who has never skated competitively, Jennifer Comeaux creates an incredibly believable world. Her descriptions are detailed and the world comes alive through the narration.

Top Five Things I Enjoyed About Crossing the Ice
1. Emily Stokes narration is really well done with only a few exceptions. I love the way she brought emotion and personality to the characters and the story through tone and inflection.

2. The skating details brought me into the heart of the story and made me feel as if I was on the ice with them.

3. Mrs. Cassar (although I'm not sure if that's spelled correctly) is a hoot, and I loved listening to the way the narrator brought her to life.

4. So many of the locations were familiar to me, Los Angeles, Staples Center, Provincetown, it was easy to visualize them.

5. The big competition didn't turn out the way I thought it would. It was a twist I never saw coming and was deliciously refreshing.

Bottom Line
Crossing the Ice is a sweet new adult romance set in the world of competitive pairs figure skating. The audiobook is high quality and the narration is superb.

Disclaimer
I was provided with a copy of this audiobook by the author in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  THHernandez | Jan 22, 2015 |
Full Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the author, via Goodreads, in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts: Confession time. I am a huge fan of the movie The Cutting Edge. So much so that I have to stop and watch it when it comes on TV, even though I own the DVD. Bonus, The Cutting Edge got a shout out in Crossing the Ice. I was so deliriously happy about that. So to answer the question that some of you are thinking, yes I read this because it was a similar(ish) subject to a movie that I love to watch.

The characters were awesome. The chemistry between Josh and Courtney was off the charts (and not in a dirty way – this book was pretty clean). I absolutely loved Josh. I’m pretty sure if he existed in real life, I would have a massive crush on him. Courtney was pretty great too. I like that she was a strong, female character and didn’t constantly act like a victim of circumstance. Added bonus (that you don’t normally find in contemporary books) the build-up of Josh and Courtney’s relationship was slow and never felt rushed.

The plot was right down my alley. It was awesome reading about pairs figure skating. That’s not exactly the most popular thing to write/read about, but most people love watching it when the Winter Olympics come around. Plus the Romeo & Juliet feel to it added an extra layer to the story.

Crossing the Ice was a pretty quick read. I really liked it. I would give it a PG-13 type warning (if it were a movie) for any possible sexual scenarios, just because I want to be safe on that. I would recommend Crossing the Ice as a solid contemporary novel, if that’s what you’re looking to read. The only people I would not recommend Crossing the Ice to are, kids under the age of 13 and anyone that is so devoutly religious that any type of kissing beyond a peck offends them. Everyone else should considered giving Crossing the Ice their contemporary attention.

For more reviews, check out http://reviewsinapinch.com/ today! ( )
  ReviewsInAPinch | Nov 24, 2014 |
I couldn't be any happier than when I saw that author Jennifer Comeaux was writing a new ice skating spinoff series called the Ice series from her wildly popular the Edge series!

In Crossing the Ice, the first book in the Ice series, the stories from the Edge series continue a few years later featuring the ice skating pair of Courtney and Mark and their competitor brother-sister team of Josh and Stephanie. With an Olympic medal on the line and competitor ice skating pairs working with the same coaches, can Courtney and Josh's blossoming friendship turn into love, and possibly stand in the way of Courtney and Mark's obtaining their Olympic dreams?

Author Jennifer Comeaux once again calls upon her passion for competitive ice skating to weave an emotionally dramatic tale of friendship, love, and competitive dreams that will steal your breath away. If you are a fan of ice skating and all the drama that goes on behind the scenes, then this new spinoff series is a must read. If you are a hopeless romantic who loves the dramatic challenges and trials and tribulations that Courtney and Josh will face involving the balancing of life choices and forbidden love relationships, then you're in luck, because the author takes the reader on an exhilarating and emotional roller coaster ride as their love story unfolds.

With an intriguing cast of recurring and new characters; engaging dialogue and dramatic interactions; a richly detailed description of the settings and world of Olympic competitive ice skating; and a riveting storyline full of drama, angst, suspense and romance; Crossing the Ice is an amazing romantic story that will leave you believing in the power of love and wanting more from this new exciting series.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Itching For Books Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2014/08/crossing-ice-by-jennifer-comea... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Aug 22, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,693,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible