Swamp Bones: A Novella by Kathy Reichs

Swamp Bones: A Novella

by Kathy Reichs

Complex forensics, involving Burmese Pythons, as Reichs highlights the invasive snake infestation that is corrupting the Everglades. ( )
  jamespurcell | Aug 20, 2017 |
Forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan returns in a chilling eBook original novella from #1 New York Times bestselling author Kathy Reichs. In the prequel to Reichs’s upcoming thriller Bones Never Lie, Tempe takes a much-needed vacation—but murder follows wherever she goes.

Although a trip to Florida is supposed to be about rest and relaxation, there’s no such thing as a day off for Dr. Temperance Brennan. She has come to visit her friend, a dedicated ornithologist who’s researching the threat that intrusive Burmese pythons pose to indigenous bird species in the Everglades. While sorting through the stomach of an eighteen-foot specimen, they make a disturbing discovery: bones that are unmistakably human. And when Tempe spots the telltale signs of murder by a very different kind of predator, she’s drawn into a case with its roots in the darkest depths of the swamp.

I'm a huge fan of Kathy Reichs and love her books, so it's no surprise that I've awarded this such a high score. The writing is clear and concise, the supporting characters interesting and full-bodied, and Tempe her usual headstrong, feisty self.
I really like the setting of Swamp Bones; Tempe off on vacation, only to get caught up in a murder case. That this would happen is quite predictable, but somehow that doesn't matter. Reichs engaging writing drags you in, pulling you alongside Tempe for the ride.

I think this novella would be an ideal starting point for anyone new to reading Reichs; it's the prequel to the novel Bones Never Lie, so whets the appetite for things to come. This novella is such easy reading because it is so well written. It's Reichs at her enthralling best, giving you no option but to read 'just one more chapter' before getting totally engrossed and finishing the whole thing! Don't say I didn't warn you! ( )
1 vote claireh18 | Nov 1, 2014 |
Swamp Bones had me so thoroughly wrapped up in the premise and happenings of this book that I was referencing the number of bodies the Miami-Dade County Morgue could hold (qty. 555), the current issues related to python populations in the Everglades, and fervently voicing my distant of animal poachers.

This is a novella and number 16.5 in the Temperance Brennan Series. It was the very first work of Ms. Reichs that I have read and it will certainly not be the last. This is a quick but smart read. I adore the way the story unfolds as the science is gifted to the reader. It was a new setting, having Dr. Brennan vacationing in the Everglades, and the visual intensity was so thrilling that you felt mosquito bitten and fearing for lurking gators. The characters were lively and well thought out for this novella, which often does not occur due to the shorten length of the text, but overall I thought this was a solidly incaptivating story with an intense pace.

Review by: Stacy Palm
Full Reviews Available at: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,078,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible