Deadly obsession by Karen Michelle Davis

Deadly obsession

by Karen Michelle Davis

821,035,133 (2.83)None

The second Lexie Rogers book from ex-cop Karen M Davis, it's interesting to note that we've now got a couple of female ex-cops from similar areas writing police procedural style books, although to this reader's eye, completely different sensibilities.

Given that this is the second book, it's worth mentioning that you might be best to start at the very beginning with these two. A lot of the back story of Rogers and her rather complicated personal life is going to need that fill in, despite a bit of catch up in DEADLY OBSESSION.

Part of the reason for that recommendation is that this is a series that concentrates heavily on the personal. Rogers is a determined and conscientious cop that battles over, through and around a lot of baggage. An ex-husband, old friends, an off-again relationship with a colleague, the death of his sister that precipitated that split, the death of her own brother years ago, a flirty current colleague, a good friendship with her working partner Sommers and well... there's a lot of personal here. I was reminded (and not in a good way) of another police procedural series, out of England, where the personal has packed the procedural elements into a suitcase and lost them in baggage control. It's hard to park the sneaking concern that we might be heading for that self-same lost baggage office with this series.

Which would be a pity, as the procedural elements here are pretty good, although to be fair the villain of the piece stood out like the proverial dog's appendage - and the why got wound up in even more personal baggage. Rogers and Sommers are, though, a good pairing of cops, dedicated and talented. The team that they work with is good, and there are some characters there that could stand a little more time in the limelight.

Perhaps one more for fans of romantic suspense than this reader, I'm not giving up on Lexie Rogers. I just hope for her sake that she chooses to pack away the overwhelming personal angst and get on with the job.

http://www.austcrimefiction.org/review/review-deadly-obsession-karen-m-davis ( )
  austcrimefiction | Sep 21, 2014 |
Deadly Obsession is the second crime novel from Karen M Davis to feature Detective Lexie Rogers.

In the early hours of the morning a woman's body, clutching a long stemmed red rose, is discovered on Clovelly Beach. The empty packet of OxyContine in her pocket suggests a drug overdose as the cause of death but Lexie is sure the scene is staged. When the initial stages of the investigation implicates her ex-husband in the woman's murder, Lexie is shocked, but as she and her partner, Brad Sommers, continue to dig they unearth a worrying chain of connections that for Lexie are too close to home.

Deadly Obsession is, in part, a police procedural, exposing Lexie and Brad's investigation as they chase leads and search for evidence to identify the elusive killer, but also includes elements of psychological suspense, action and a touch of romance. The story is tightly plotted, though I thought the links between Lexie and the key characters were just a little too neat and convenient. My early suspicions regarding the murderer were proved right but I was swayed by the red herrings laid down by Davis at times and surprised by some of the connections that were eventually revealed.

I am glad that Lexie seems less anxious in Deadly Obsession. Though still at risk from panic attacks related to previous events, and distressed by her recent break up with Josh (Detective Josh Harrison) who fled to Bali to bury himself in the bottle after the death of his sister, Jenna, Lexie is stronger and more focused. She works the case with attention to detail and stands up for herself against Brad's doubts. I didn't agree with all of her decisions though, some of which, like not reporting the threats made against her, seemed a bit disingenuous for a police officer.

While it isn't strictly necessary to have read Sinister Intent before embarking on this sequel, I think it would be worth your time. A solid example of Australian crime fiction, Deadly Obsession is an enjoyable and engaging read and I look forward to seeing how Davis continues to develop the series. ( )
  shelleyraec | Aug 13, 2014 |

In the early hours of a wintry morning, a young nurse's body is found at Clovelly Beach in Sydney's eastern suburbs. Apart from a puncture wound in her neck, she's in perfect condition. But she's also clutching a rose - and there's an empty packet of prescription drugs in her pocket. To Detective Lexie Rogers and her partner Brad Sommers, it seems like a staged suicide. And as they dig deeper, Lexie discovers the case is too close to home - the dead girl was a friend of the woman who destroyed Lexie's marriage. Struggling with her own recent breakup and the numbing flashbacks of violent attacks she's suffered on the job, Lexie throws herself into the case, determined to solve the murder.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,313,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible