With Open Hands by Henri J. M. Nouwen

With Open Hands (1972)

by Henri J. M. Nouwen

Interesting thoughts on prayer and purpose ( )
  KIJUNG | Mar 20, 2015 |
With Open Hands by Henri J. M. Nouwen, a Dutch-born Catholic priest, is a broad framework to show the necessity of prayer in our lives and to show the characteristics – silence, acceptance, hope, compassion, and prophetic criticism – by which we should approach prayer. The metaphor of the clenched fists and open hands anchors the book. The book is based in Christian theology; however, the concepts are more universal in nature.

Read my complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2014/11/with-open-hands.html ( )
  njmom3 | Nov 29, 2014 |
This book is another classic from Nouwen. In it he discusses how true pray is an act of letting go and opening up. In the process we are healed by the one whom we feared might destroy us. He discusses the fear that individuals have against true prayer. What we fear to lose and what we fear to gain. Excellent book on Christian Spirituality. ( )
  Madcow299 | Jan 30, 2008 |
Praying is no easy matter.

Nouwen offers an invitation to rediscover the authentic moments of prayer in everyday life. The ideas, emotions, and experiences of daily life are shown to be directly related to the attitudes of acceptance, hope, compassion, and silence of true prayer. 72 full-page photographs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,642,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible