Fall From Grace by Tim Weaver

Fall From Grace (2014)

by Tim Weaver

A brilliant story which has you guessing until the final pages and certainly I didn't work out any of the plot twists, very inventive and keeps you turning the pages to find out what happens next. David Raker is hired by a policewoman to find her missing father, a retired senior Met policeman, who disappeared from his retirement home on Dartmoor. Highly recommended. ( )
  edwardsgt | Aug 26, 2017 |
Fall From Grace is the fifth book in Tim Weaver's David Raker series. But it can certainly be read as a stand alone.

Who is Raker? Well, his background is in journalism, but he has since set himself up as private missing persons investigator.

Leonard Franks retires from the Metropolitan Police and heads to Dartmoor to spend his retirement years with his wife in the country. Until the day he goes out to get firewood and disappears. Not a trace of him, despite a police investigation. After nearly a year, his daughter Melanie, also working in the Met, employs Raker to have another look. This is unusual in that Raker and Melanie have a antagonistic past with each other. But, in spite of that Raker takes the case.

Raker's investigation is methodical and measured, with one revelation or clue leading to his next avenue of inquiry. But the case itself is not as straight forward. Weaver has created a mystery that is more complicated than what I initially imagined it would be. Many revelations along the way led to a much different outcome than the one I initially imagined. I did find the plot become a bit overly convoluted as the end neared.

Weaver weaves in a personal storyline for Raker. He has recently discovered he is the father of an adult daughter. Their relationship seems a bit forced to me, but it gives Raker more depth.

I've read previous books in this series, but chose to listen to this latest. The reader was Brit Michael Healy. His voice is measured and well modulated, with a slight gravelly tone His accent is easily understood. It conjured up a slightly different picture of Raker than the one I had in my head from previous books. But it fit - he sounds confident and in control. Dialogue and action scenes are given their due, with inflection and intonation. It's funny what you hear when listening to an audiobook. I could hear the sighs, some swallows and a few other non verbal sounds that make it actually sound like you are there. I like the Raker character, but did find that the audio version made him seen a bit pompous in parts. But this didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the book. ( )
  Twink | Mar 18, 2017 |
In my opinion, this is the best Raker novel yet. Very surprise ending. ( )
  velopunk | Mar 16, 2017 |
There's just something about Tim Weaver's writing and storytelling that I greatly enjoy. His plots are complex, detailed, and realistic. His main character, David Raker, is a former journalist turned missing person investigator -- and I enjoy his plodding as he works his way toward solving the missing person case; I think I enjoy it so much because I feel this character follows the same procedures and makes the same mistakes I might make if I were in his shoes. Overall, a great series. Looking forward to reading #6. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Sep 7, 2015 |
Fall From Grace is the fifth novel in the David Raker series by author Tim Weaver. David Raker is hired by DC Craw to find her father who has gone missing not using normal police channels. Her father was a retired and much respected policeman himself who had recently begun consulting for the Met and was working on a case so his disappearance may be related to what he was working on. But the police deny sending him a file and as Raker investigates he soon finds that the case may have more personal leanings.

I like Tim Weaver's novels because they start from a different perspective not to common in crime fiction.Read the full review here ( )
  thecrimescene | Jul 29, 2014 |
For Sharlé
It took them an hour to get to the beach, a small horseshoe-shaped bay on the southern tip of the county.

Fall From Grace is the latest missing persons case in the bestselling David Raker series by Tim Weaver. No Goodbye - When Leonard Franks and his wife Ellie leave London for their dream retirement in the seclusion of Dartmoor, everything seems perfect. But then their new life is shattered. Leonard heads outside to fetch firewood from the back of the house - and never returns. No Trace - Nine months later, with the police investigation at a dead end, Leonard's family turn to David Raker - a missing persons investigator with a gift for finding the lost. But nothing can prepare Raker for what he's about to uncover. Nowhere to hide Because, at the heart of this disappearance lies a devastating secret. And by the time Raker realises what it is, and how deep the lies go, it's not just him in danger - it's everyone he cares about. Praise for Tim Weaver: "I couldn't put it down". (Sun). "His books get better each time - tense, complex, sometimes horrific, written with flair as well as care". (Guardian). "Weaver has delivered another cracking crime thriller". (Daily Mail). Tim Weaver is the bestselling author of the David Raker missing persons series. His fourth novel, Never Coming Back, was selected for the Richard and Judy Book Club, and his work has also been nominated for a National Book Award. A former journalist and magazine editor, he lives near Bath with his wife and daughter.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,427,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible