Soppy: A Love Story by Philippa Rice

Soppy: A Love Story

by Philippa Rice

Really cute. I like her illustrations - all white, red, and black. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
I believe I've mentioned before that a lot of times I'll pick up a book based on a review I've seen on BookTube. In fact, my resolve to give graphic novels another shot happened because of the excellent recommendations of Ariel Bissett. She kept talking about a cute little graphic novel by Philippa Rice entitled Soppy: A Love Story and every time she'd mention it she would be overcome with how much she liked it so...I checked it out. She was absolutely right. It's a little dose of happiness in book form. It's about a couple that decides to move in with one another and the adjustments that are made to accommodate their differences and how their relationship evolves. (Note: I am the girl in this book. She is me. I am her.) I laughed out loud and actually said "aww" more than once. They're a quirky little couple who makes me hope that things might actually work out for me in the future. If you want something light and sweet then I highly recommend this one to you. Also, the artwork is adorable. ( )
  AliceaP | May 27, 2016 |
This book is just so cheesy for me depicting bizarre or weird ways a relationship have but in a kind of funny romantic sense of view. It is very sappy, heartwarming and I do enjoy every situation shown and illustrated by Rice.I love the comic images making me reminisce and taking me back to my younger years and what's so even loveable are the real life situational samples in very pages that would want you to fall in love over and over again. I just so love this book. ( )
  Maddison18 | Mar 19, 2016 |
See full review @ The Indigo Quill

A special thank you to NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for providing a copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.

Either you're going to love this book or you're going to hate it, but I thought it was one of the most adorable stinken' things I've read in a long time. Perhaps because I'm in a comfortable, happy relationship and can relate to a lot of the little moments found in Soppy, or because I enjoyed taking pleasure in the simplicity of a blossoming relationship without the torture of a love triangle gone awry. I felt like Rice took even the "boring stuff" and made it into a light flavor that triggered fond memories of cozy love.

If I had to describe this book in one word (other than "soppy"), I would call it simple. There is minimal text, a fairly ordinary storyline, and an incredibly limited color palette (you get what you see on the cover...negative/positive space and red). All of these elements reflected the tone, and yet they worked perfectly together to create a soft and sweet storyline.

Rice pours enough of her heart into this book that the love story becomes tangible to the reader. You find yourself relating to the little moments and adoring the declaration of affection jumping off the page. It isn't just sickening sweetness, though. It celebrates the silly moments, the frustrating moments, the selfish and selfless moments, even the mundane every day moments that encourage teamwork. It creates an entertaining little masterpiece to just sit back and enjoy.

Soppy probably wouldn't appeal to those who spend Valentine's Day bitterly sitting at home eating take-out and watching whatever movie-of-choice that helps them cope with being single. But if you like sweet, sappy, and dripping with cuteness, then you'll enjoy this collection of sketches.

This book is a light read and would also make a great gift for the sweetheart in your life. ( )
  TheIndigoQuill | Nov 7, 2015 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-t0
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-t0 ( )
  Saretta.L | Feb 21, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,934,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible