Blue Ribbon Baking from a Redneck Kitchen by…

Blue Ribbon Baking from a Redneck Kitchen

by Francine Bryson

baking (2) breads (1) cakes (1) cookbook (1) cookies (1) desserts (1) library (1) pies (1) siba14 (1)

You just can’t go wrong with a cookbook written by someone who has won 200 local and national baking competitions. Sweets definitely take center stage in this cookbook, and it is loaded with pies, cakes, cheesecakes cobblers, sweet breads, cookies, and candy.

The cookbook starts with eight different pie crusts, not counting the three extra cookie crusts. The one that really caught my eye was the Cinnamon Roll Crust may be the most interesting pie crust recipe I have ever seen, and easy too. I can’t wait to try it with pumpkin pie. I also want to try her Classic Easy Banana Pudding, but since it serves 12- 15, I am hoping I can cut it in half.

The cookbook itself is very well made with glossy paper that is easy to wipe clean. It could use more photos, and it seemed a little disorganized to me. There are the regular sections, pies, cookies, cheesecakes, candy & Truffles, and Biscuits & Breads. But then there was the chapter “Sunday Go-To-Meeting” containing cobblers and cakes, and “Baked Goods to Show Off” with more pies and cakes. All in all, it is a keeper and a welcome addition to my cookbook shelf.

I received a copy if this book as part of the Blogging for Books program in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Tmtrvlr | Jan 8, 2015 |

National pie champion, mom, homemaker, and self-proclaimed redneck, Francine Bryson won the hearts of bakers everywhere when she appeared on CBS’s The American Baking Competition and went on to become a finalist on the show. Known for her down-home Southern charm and sass (and for successfully pairing chocolate and peanut butter with bacon), Francine now shares her sought-after recipes and tips in her very first baking book.

“Here are the recipes and tricks I was taught by my Great-Granny, Granny, Nana, and Mama—the women who schooled me on the ways a Southern woman keeps a kitchen—and that I learned from twenty-plus years of competing on the baking circuit. Now you can bake up award-winning pies such as Upside-Down Apple Pie, fluffy Biscuits Like Nana Made, and irresistible treats like Soda Pop Cake and Classic Southern Lemon Bars—all so good they have made the rounds with the ladies at church, the bridge clubs, supper clubs, and mom groups for generations.”
--from the Introduction

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:13 -0400)

Bryson shares her sought-after recipes and tips, full of her down-home Southern charm and sass. You'll bake up award-winning pies and irresistible treats that will make the round in your church group, bridge club, and moms group for years.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,723,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible