Delavier's Women's Strength…

Delavier's Women's Strength Training Anatomy Workouts

by Frederic Delavier

249443,774 (4)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is an absolute must have for women interested in strength training. I truly enjoyed the section on how to create a customized training schedule. What is so distinctive about this work is the extensive detail to a woman's unique form when it comes to strength training. I learned so many new aspects about my body that could affect my exercise regime.

The anatomy descriptions provide just enough detail to engage, but not overwhelm a layperson, while stimulating the interest of seasoned exercise physiologists and others who know and study the human body. In addition, each exercise is depicted and described very thoroughly, including tips, pros and cons, and variations. The workouts are suitable for home or the gym. The last segment deals with specific programs for whole body, split-routines, circuit training as well as guiding one through once a week to 4 times a week sessions.

I would recommend this book to all women that are serious about implementing strength training in their lives. This book provides a wealth of information and is a great resource. ( )
  Virasana123 | Jul 23, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book to be extremely accessible and helpful for strength training. The combination of diagrams, photos, and supporting text helped clarify movement and form to help maximize results while keeping me safe. I also found the workout plans near the end to be very thorough and usable, which is great while strength training without a partner or professional trainer. All things considered, this has helped me tremendously. ( )
  sstaheli | Jul 6, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has lots of excellent illustrations showing the muscles worked by various exercises. Unlike others of Delavier's books I have reviewed, however, it has quite a few photographs. The photographs are a mistake. Eventually they will date the book severely. Right now, they emphasize that this book is about feminine appearance as much as fitness; the model's eyeliner is the most prominent thing in every photograph. In addition, too much of the text uses men as a standard and women as the variation. I know that Delavier's "Strength Training Anatomy" did not have lots of sentences like, "Unlike women, men place an extraordinary emphasis on the size of their biceps." but this book has lots of sentences like, "Unlike men, women are not interested in increasing the size of their triceps as much as general toning of that area." Still a useful book to keep around if you like to work out and happen to be a woman.

The simple, clear text and numerous illustrations, make it easily accessible to non-native English speakers. ( )
  themulhern | May 31, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a great book to add to my collection. I have lost 97 lbs and have been lifting weights for about a year now. I have never had a trainer so it's resources like this book that help me a great deal. The pictures and descriptions are most helpful! ( )
  Jennyonfire | May 15, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Oh, man, it may take me a while to give this a full read and review: just reading the table of contents had me approaching Hulk Smash levels of annoyance. I ... may not be the target audience. I was hoping for a book aimed at the serious athlete who just happens to be female, but so far it looks like someone gently holding a reluctant miss's hand to encourage her that she won't bulk up if she lifts a weight. Gah.

Takes 2 and 3: aaargh! I couldn't even get through the 1 page introduction. It mentioned "attractiveness" twice and referenced giving birth. *twitch* I put it down for a bit, then decided to just skip to the back and check out the workout routines: the advanced one is all high rep stuff, zip zero zilch high weight and low rep sets, it's all 8-20 rep sets.

So, no, I'm not the target audience for this. I'm going back to the HK kettlebells book that uses a mix of male and female models in the pictures and does not talk down to anyone. Seriously, get the Women's Home Workout Bible instead, avoid this one if you want to actually do strength training. ( )
  silentq | May 11, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Frederic Delavier's book Delavier's Women's Strength Training Anatomy Workouts was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,395,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible