Considering Hate: Violence, Goodness, and…

Considering Hate: Violence, Goodness, and Justice in American Culture and…

by Kay Whitlock

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really wanted to like this book. Violence and hatred are significant problems, and one that I am constantly trying to refine my ability to discuss with my high school students. This book was frustrating because it would begin to discuss a question, but never entered into any real depth. Now, that could be understood as simply part of its genre as an introductory text; however, I would have liked to have seen a more comprehensive bibliography. The very, very short list of recommended books didn't begin to list the materials that I know to be available on the subject.
In sum, this book could be a helpful starting to begin a conversation about violence, racism, and social justice, but it isn't a resource to extend that conversation beyond the most superficial of levels. ( )
  krasiviye.slova | Aug 6, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This books gives us a scary insight into one of the less-talked about aspects of American history, and it was indeed a very chilling read. The author manages to attack a very sensitive subject in a reasonable and thought-through manner, and it is, all in all, a very interesting (if chilling!) book. ( )
  PetterKringberg | Mar 6, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a very hard review to write. It was a good book, but very dry at times. Sort of depressing too. ( )
  pwagner2 | Feb 25, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received the book and have read it. The book was very well written, but it didn't hold my interest very long. It is a perfect book for people who are interested the subject matter.
  LauraNicolePerry | Feb 1, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Considering Hate was, for me, a difficult read and it took me a long time to finish it. This is not to say that it is not a good book. The subject matter was just not “enjoyable”. It is, rather, a scholarly and intellectual look at the difficult topic of hate and the violence it creates. I’m grateful to have had the chance to read Considering Hate. I feel overwhelmed each night while watching the news with all the violence and distress in the world. But turning a blind eye is not the answer. We must try to learn from all this unrest and I’m grateful to the authors for examining a very complicated subject and offering for me different ways of looking at our culture. ( )
  curlylocks | Dec 5, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080709191X, Hardcover)

A provocative book about rethinking hatred and violence in America

Over the centuries American society has been plagued by brutality fueled by disregard for the humanity of others: systemic violence against slaves, Native peoples, and immigrants. More recent examples include the Steubenville rape case and the murders of Matthew Shepard, Jennifer Daugherty, Marcelo Lucero, and Trayvon Martin. Most Americans see such acts as driven by hate.  But is this right? Longtime activists and political theorists Kay Whitlock and Michael Bronski boldly assert that American society's reliance on the framework of hate to explain these acts is wrongheaded, misleading, and ultimately harmful.

All too often Americans choose to believe that terrible cruelty is aberrant, caused primarily by “extremists” and misfits. The inevitable remedy of intensified government-based policing, increased surveillance, and harsher punishments has never worked and does not work now. Stand Your Ground laws, the US prison system; police harassment of people of color, women, and LGBT people; and the so-called War on Terror demonstrate that they themselves are forms of institutionalized violence.

Considering Hate challenges easy assumptions and failed solutions, arguing that “hate violence” reflects existing cultural norms. Drawing upon social science, philosophy, theology, film, and literature, the authors examine how hate and common, even ordinary, forms of individual and group violence are excused and normalized in popular culture and political discussion. This massive denial of brutal reality profoundly warps society's ideas about goodness and justice.

Considering Hate daringly invites readers to think differently—to redefine the meaning of justice within a new framework of transformative imagination, collective responsibility, and civic goodness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kay Whitlock's book Considering Hate was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,940,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible