The World of PostSecret by Frank Warren

The World of PostSecret

by Frank Warren

I was so excited when I learned this was coming out... so excited that I purchased it immediately & got it before it was in the stores.....

I was let down... I believe I had very high expectations, definitely too lofty expectations....

I didn't find much heart.... I found less "feelings", less depth than the first few books. Maybe we are collectively running out of secrets and our secrets have all been revealed....

I didn't like the postings from the "app"..... I'm not interested in screenshots, I find them cold, not as warm, not as creative, not as personal as a hand written & decorated/drawn postcard.

This will be the last of the books in this series I will purchase, as I personally believe that this project has run its natural course..... All else is anti-climatic. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Once again Warren's latest book is filled with some of the million postcards he has received over that last 10 years of his Post Secret Project. Originally he had thought he might be lucky to get a few dozen postcards with anonymous secrets but his idea snowballed to include cards from all over the world, a popular website and an app. He also works with suicide prevention groups and hotlines as many of the post secrets unfortunately deal with depression and suicidal thoughts. Some are uplifiting, funny, tragic and always surprising. Some of my favorites:
"I wear flowery scents to work to keep my annoying, bossy, allergic coworker away from me."
"A book commits suicide every time a young girl says Kim Kardashian is a role model."
"Nature and the library are the only two places in America were I don't feel judged as 'less than' because I am Quiet."
"When I was little my father told me the ice cream truck played music when it was sold out."
This book only takes a few hours to read so it's a good way to while away an afternoon. ( )
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
The World of PostSecret by Frank Warren is pretty much about what the title suggests. There are vignettes about symposiums, secrets, the perfect secret, and even the mail carrier who brought so many of secrets to Frank's house. There are also many examples of postcards and other things that people have sent in to share their secrets.

Some of the secrets are very touching. I found myself getting teared up more than once. Some of the secrets are informative, especially in the way that they inform us we are not alone in the things we keep secret. It was also touching to read the segment on the PostSecret application and the reactions of some people to secrets that they saw posted there.

If you enjoy the PostSecret website or any of the other PostSecret books, then you will like this book as well. It's worth a read. It's nonfiction and biographical in nature. ( )
  ElleJennison | Apr 25, 2015 |
Frank Warren started PostSecret as a community art project ten years ago - asking people to send him 'artful secrets'. He hoped to receive 365. To date, he's received over a million, with more on the way every day.

I remember being fascinated by this idea when it first came out. I became a devotee of the site, looking for 'new releases' on the PostSecret website on Sundays and reading all the book compilations. And somehow I fell away from it. But, the latest book release (the first in five years), The World of PostSecret, has again piqued my interest.

What is about secrets that captures our attention? To see if others might have the same doubts, hopes, wishes, fears and dreams as ourselves? This latest book is close to 300 pages - and there are many and varied secrets portrayed. Honestly, I'm sure everyone will find one close to home somewhere in the book.

The way the sender chooses to display/announce/portray their secret on a simple postcard is fascinating as well - truly artistic and imaginative. Interspersed throughout the book are some short missives from Warren - and the original postal worker who handled delivery.

I found it hard to just read straight through from first page to last. Although here are many happy secrets, the sad seem to far outweigh them and many are truly heartbreaking. Happy or sad, they will have you thinking, perhaps remembering or planning....

I think this is still a fascinating project and the spins off Warren has pursued are laudable - the PostSecret community has raised over a million dollars suicide prevention programs.

And really, there's no other way to rate this than five stars. Fascinating, thought provoking and addictive. And kind of appropriate at this time of the year as everyone is making resolutions. ( )
  Twink | Jan 2, 2015 |
I have never heard of these books of that people were ever doing this. My first thought is "Wow, I can't imagine sharing a dark secret with a stranger". Yet then my next thought was after reading some of the secrets is "What do you have to lose about sharing your secret with someone you have never met. It might be therapeutic." Which reading some of the secrets that people were willing to share, they felt very comfortable sharing their secrets. Although some of them made me wonder what happened to the people now...did their tell their family, spouse, friend? Are they happy now? You could say that I felt a connection with these people and their secrets. This book is a good table book. ( )
  Cherylk | Dec 27, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006233901X, Hardcover)

A ton of secrets, one postcard at a time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:21 -0400)

A ton of secrets, one postcard at a time. Warren started inviting people to anonymously mail artful secrets in 2004. Here he shares some that he has received in the last five years, and shares his favorite stories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,453,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible