Black Widow, Vol. 2: The Tightly Tangled Web…

Black Widow, Vol. 2: The Tightly Tangled Web (2015)

by Nathan Edmondson, Phil Noto (Illustrator)

Quite a bitt better than the first one - more recognizable as something happening in the Marvel Universe.

Also, X-23! ( )
  Eric.Cone | Sep 28, 2017 |
Probably should have been called 'An average week in the life of Black Widow'. The heroine does a whole lot of ill-defined spy-related stuff. She sneaks into places, gets captured, shot at. She rescues people and shoots people occasionally. There's no real context. I don't know why she's doing what she's doing, and she doesn't seem to either. Along the way she meets a few other Superheroes who fight with her or against her for a while and then off we go again. Busy, but pointless. ( )
  questbird | Jul 28, 2017 |
Just a little below 4.5 stars.

I was a bit disappointed with this volume. There was plenty of action, but I’m not seeing the grand plan of the (hidden) antagonist. I'm still not sure just who is pulling the strings behind the scenes. There are hints, but I don’t really know.

The best part of this volume was in seeing Black Widow team up with some stone-cold killers, with former flame Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier making a surprise appearance, Frank Castle/Punisher in a perfectly timed appearance, and Laura Kinney/X-23 in a perfectly rage-filled appearance. There were also several cameos, this time with most of the Avengers and even Anderson Cooper (yes, CNN's Anderson Cooper) making appearances. Hawkeye made an appearance, as well, hunting Natasha for... someone.

The art by Noto was exceptionally good, and just the right level of minimalism for this character, who is always stating that she works alone.

I'll be looking for the next volume, just to see where the story goes and who the mastermind is behind all that is happening. Overall, this is very good, and well worth a long look. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
Black Widow Vol 2: The Tightly Tangled Web is the second volume of collected Black Widow comics in the 2014 run. I have previously read and reviewed the first volume here.

I continue to enjoy this run of black widow, however I found this middle volume of the run to be a little bit of a "who is going to make a guest appearance next?" kind of thing. We had several guest appearances including from Daredevil (in which I learned that he and Natasha used to date), Hawkeye, X-23, and Punisher. I didn't mind the guest stars except for Punisher, but that was mainly because that issue was followed by the Punisher issue of the same event, adding absolutely nothing except for a different (inferior) art style.

In this volume, we see Natasha travelling the world and completing missions that has been given to her. In the meantime, there is a background build up of some sort of conspiracy that she has yet to get to the bottom of. The issue culminates in a bit of a cliffhanger, and I am keen to get to the next volume to find out what happens. The next volume is also a Last Days story, leading into Secret Wars, so hopefully the main conspiracy will get enough page-time.

I didn't enjoy this volume quite as much as the first, but I think that is in part because of the large gap I left between volumes one and two, in terms of reading. I suspect they would've been slightly more au fait with what was going on, if I'd been able to jump straight into it. That said, I still really like the art style used by Phil Noto and I hope he'll be illustrating more of the comics I'm into after this run.

I will definitely be picking up the last volume soon. I recommend Black Widow to fans of Black Widow, female superheroes, female spies, and cat owners. (Well, the cat owner thing is a little bit more complicated than that, but still.)

4 / 5 stars

You can read more of my reviews on my blog. ( )
  Tsana | Apr 24, 2016 |
Volume 1 started off strong, but volume 2 takes it up a notch – as evident by the cover. I absolutely love the image of Black Widow sitting on The Punisher logo. The inside follows through in a big way by bringing in not only Frank Castle, but Bucky Barnes as well. Three of Marvel’s morally murky characters together.

Natasha exists in a gray area. This is quickly made apparent in the opening mission by a visit from Daredevil (who practically exemplifies righteousness) who disapproves of her tactics. This sets the tone for the volume as she uses increasingly strong armed methods to get information. Though Natasha is highly skilled, she doesn’t have superpowers. The writer doesn’t skirt this issue and so when Natasha gets in a little over her head, she doesn’t refuse help. First from Winter Soldier and then later from Punisher. The missions get increasingly dangerous, the fights more brutal and the gray areas even murkier. Natasha’s loyalty and place in the world is called into question by her teams, and by her.

The volume closes on a bang (literally) that sets up the magnitude of Chaos and sets the stage for Last Days. ( )
1 vote jshillingford | Apr 6, 2016 |

Nathan Edmondsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Noto, PhilIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Information from the All Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

On a snowy night in Prague, Natasha must fight her way out of disaster alongside the Winter Soldier! Meanwhile, Isaiah has business in London, but a simple plan soon gets very complicated. Then, the Black Widow finds herself fighting against - or alongside? - the Punisher for access to a deadly criminal network. But trapped on an exploding oil rig with Crossbones and his Skull Squad, will Frank and Natasha complete their missions ... or take each other out? And because you demanded it: Hawkeye! But how could his fight with the Widow cost Isaiah his life? Finally, in the wake of Wolverine's death, Black Widow bonds with the despondent X-23 over punching and espionage.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible