Judge this. by Chip Kidd

Judge this.

by Chip Kidd

Series: TED Books

English (2)  Hungarian (1)  All (3)
A fun perspective on design, with lots of examples. I would have liked to hear more about how the author came to his conclusions, instead of having so many shallowly discussed examples. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Chip Kidd is a very lucky man. Right out of graphic design class he was hired into publishing in New York City, and has been a book cover designer at the same firm ever since. He works with the biggest names and gets seemingly free creative reign. He has collected some of his best covers, and the real world design elements that inspired them, into a short, fast little book you can read in an hour or two.

Kidd created a continuum, a horizontal line that goes from clarity to mystery, rating various elements of daily life according to how much work it takes to understand them. He measures his book covers by how much they might benefit from extreme clarity to extreme mystery.

The medium is the message, so you would expect a book cover designer to publish a book. Unfortunately, this is written as belonging to some other medium. Every image is accompanied by a short paragraph or two, more of a narration than a narrative. The images on the opposite page would have much more impact on a large screen, particularly in an e-book, where you can’t see the image at the same times as the text. The whole effort fairly screams to be a 50 minute slide show, which Kidd narrating. He would be far more entertaining than the book.

And so it is. This is the print extension of his a TED talk, available online, for those who need a permanent version. The video is much more fun.

David Wineberg ( )
1 vote DavidWineberg | Apr 4, 2015 |

"First impressions are everything. They dictate whether something stands out, how we engage with it, whether we buy it, and how strongly we feel. This is especially true when it comes to design. And design is all around us, secretly shaping our world in ways we rarely recognise. Except if you yourself are a designer, like Chip Kidd. In Judge This, the reader travels through a day in the life of renowned designer Chip Kidd as he takes in first impressions of all kinds. We follow this visual journey with Kidd as he encounters and engages with everyday design, breaking down the good, the bad, the absurd and the brilliant as only a designer can. From the design of the paper you read in the morning to the subway ticket machine to the books you browse to the smartphone you use to the packaging for the chocolate bar you buy as an afternoon treat, Kidd will reveal the hidden secrets behind each of the design choices, with a healthy dose of humour, expertise and, of course, judgment as he goes" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,447,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible