101 Legendary Whiskies You're Dying to Try…

101 Legendary Whiskies You're Dying to Try But (Probably) Never Will

by Ian Buxton

312,001,085 (3.25)None
Recently added byBobH1, TadAD, weydert
drinks (1) food (1) whisky (1)

Honestly, I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. I love whiskey. I like lists. What went wrong?

Most of it was misplaced expectations. I thought this would be a book of whiskies you might, with a few exceptions, endeavor to try in your life...sort of like bucket list items. Maybe you'd have to work at it, maybe you'd have to save a lot, but you could get there. Unfortunately, the word "possibly" in the title should be "almost certainly" for most of the contents.

Of the 101 whiskies, only 31 are designated Living, which means they are "readily available". I'm a bit skeptical of that designation in some cases since the availability notes might say "rare" which, in my mind, is sort of an antonym for "readily available".

The remaining 70 are unavailable or virtually so unless you have 5-6 figures to spend on a bottle of whiskey plus some exceedingly good contacts to find that bottle.

So, I was disappointed in what I found. I admit that this is as much me as the book.

What you do get is a listing of a bunch of whiskeys Mr. Buxton has heard about, most of which he's never tasted. The definition of "legendary" stretches to "famous" and you find a $23 bottle of Johnnie Walker Black in the same list as a $189,000 bottle of Dalmore. Each entry contains a short anecdote or history, some of which are amusing or interesting, others blandly factual.

I have a minor quibble. There's no index and the table of contents has four entries: Introduction, Acknowledgements, Picture Credits and everything else. An index is easy to create for a book like this and would be useful to find a particular brand without a linear search through the book, or to find all the whiskeys labelled Lost.

It was a Christmas present, so no harm done but I'd be hard pressed to justify spending $20 for something like this unless I had a passion for lists of unobtainable bottles. ( )
1 vote TadAD | Jan 8, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,497,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible