dismiss

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

The Name of the Rose (1980)

by Umberto Eco

16,300251211 (4.2)3 / 966
In 1327, finding his sensitive mission at an Italian abbey further complicated by seven bizarre deaths, Brother William of Baskerville turns detective.
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (ehines, hankreardon, Sensei-CRS)
    ehines: Surprised not to find this way up on Name of the Rose's rec list. FP is a much more recent period piece--the period is marked by 1968 as Name of the Rose's is marked by the emergence of the Franciscans. Well done look at the conspiratorial mindset.
    Dissolution by C. J. Sansom (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both feature ghastly murders in a monastery in a time of religious conflict and turmoil. The Name of the Rose (medieval Italy) is more philosophical, while Dissolution (Tudor England) is more of a straight-forward historical mystery. Both offer interesting insights into the political and religious issues of the times.… (more)
    The Key to The Name of the Rose: Including Translations of All Non-English Passages by Adele J. Haft (Taphophile13)
    Baudolino by Umberto Eco (aces)
    An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears (Booksloth)
    The Quincunx by Charles Palliser (Booksloth)
    The Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (mrcmrc)
    My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (adithyajones, IamAleem)
    adithyajones: Both of them are historical mystery fiction but both are not plain vanilla whodunits rather serious books which looks at the life at that time in minute detail
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (girlunderglass)
    girlunderglass: Two words: mystery + learned men (in The Name of the Rose, scholars of ecclesiastical books, in TSH of ancient Greek books)
    Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (Oct326)
    Oct326: C'è molto Borges nel "Nome della Rosa". Se qualcuno ha letto il secondo ma non il primo, sarebbe un'ottima idea leggere "Finzioni": vi (ri)troverà la biblioteca labirintica, le disquisizioni teologiche, l'inchiesta con la falsa pista, e altri motivi che hanno mirabilmente (mi vien da dire: vertiginosamente) ispirato Eco.… (more)
    Possession: A Romance by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books are cited by Michael Dirda as examples of antiquarian romance.
    Headlong by Michael Frayn (KayCliff)
    Shadow & Claw: The First Half of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (LamontCranston)
    Zwischen Utopie und Wirklichkeit: Konstruierte Sprachen für die globalisierte Welt by Jennifer Bretz (gangleri)
    The Secret Supper by Javier Sierra (Limelite)
    Limelite: Two clerics sent to investigate mysterious and secretive goings on in abbeys find death and revelation as they successfully untangle and avert the web of church politics and conflicts over man's greatest artistic and literary heritage.
    Doctor Mirabilis by James Blish (bertilak)
    bertilak: Both books have subplots about the controversial teachings of Joachim of Fiore.
    Ex-Libris by Ross King (roby72)
    The Athenian Murders by José Carlos Somoza (Booksloth)
    Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell (KayCliff)
    A Time to Keep Silence by Patrick Leigh Fermor (Laura400)
    Laura400: A brief book that relates this 20th Century author's travels to four monasteries, including extended stays in two French Benedictine monasteries. It is not a mystery or a book like "The Name of The Rose." But it is a nice meditation on a way of life that appears nearly unchanged over the centuries.… (more)

1980s (2)
Europe (182)

English (190)  Spanish (16)  Italian (14)  French (8)  Dutch (5)  German (5)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (248)
853.914 ECO
  alessandragg | Apr 13, 2020 |
853.914 ECO
  alessandragg | Apr 13, 2020 |
How often do you find a favorite book? I’ve had a few over the years, ones that changed me, stayed with me, became a part of me. Isaac Asimov’s Foundation Trilogy. Frank Herbert’s Dune. Albert Camus’ The Fall and then Paul Bowles’s The Sheltering Sky. John Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath and In Dubious Battle resonated immediately with my beliefs and efforts.

And then there are books that not only become my favorites but also showed me the beauty of the writing craft. Mikhail Bulgakov’s The Master and Margarita. Homer’s Iliad (translated by Edward, Earl of Derby), Percy Shelley’s Ozymandias, Allen Ginsberg’s Howl.

And now I add Umberto Eco’s The Name of the Rose. To my favorites, to the top of my favorites, actually. In plot, character development, storytelling, and just beautiful language, Eco has crafted a masterpiece. His philosophical discussions and analysis of religious battles were spot on. Eco’s main character, William of Baskerville, says to the main antagonist, “They lied to you. The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt” (p. 477).

And the discussion of books, in their illuminated beauty, secrets and knowledge, had me from the start. Eco loves books, as does William. He writes of the abbey that is the center of the story: “just as knights displayed armor and standards, our abbots displayed illuminated manuscripts” (p. 184). And as William looks at these books, Eco writes “We stopped to browse in the cases … could linger and read the books, at every title he discovered he let out exclamations of happiness, either because he knew the work, or because he had been seeking it for a long time, or finally because he had never heard it mentioned and was highly excited and titillated. In short, for him every book was like a fabulous animal that he was meeting in a strange land” (p. 310). While Eco loves books, he doesn’t put them on pedestals to be seen but not read. “Books are not made to be believed, but to be subjected to inquiry. When we consider a book, we mustn’t ask ourselves what it says but what it means” (p. 316).

I originally started reading this as an e-book, but after getting about 1/3 of the way through, I realized I wanted, I needed, to own a physical copy of the book. I picked up an excellent used copy at Capitol Hill Books in DC. The edition I have includes Eco’s postscript, which talks about his writing the book. It’s as good, and as important, as the novel itself.

What a book, and right out of the gate … this was his first novel. ( )
1 vote drew_asson | Mar 22, 2020 |
9/26/1994 This edition includes Eco's illuminating commentary, Postscript to the Name of the Rose. ( )
  Indrit | Dec 15, 2019 |
Just read Borges. ( )
  Adammmmm | Sep 10, 2019 |
The Name of the Rose is a monumental exercise in mystification by a fun-loving scholar.
added by Shortride | editTime, Patricia Blake (Jun 13, 1983)

One may find some of the digressions a touch self-indulgent... yet be carried along by Mr. Eco's knowledge and narrative skills. And if at the end the solution strikes the reader as more edifying than plausible, he has already received ample compensation from a richly stocked and eminently civilized intelligence.

The Jesuits didn’t exist in William of Baskerville’s time, but – learned in Aquinas and Aristotle and prepared to use the empirical techniques of Roger Bacon – William would make a very good English Jesuit. Although in orders, he lacks the rotundity, Wildean paradoxicality and compassion of Father Brown, but clearly Dr Eco knows his Chesterton. Theology and criminal detection go, for some reason, well together...

I probably do not need to recommend this book to British readers. The impetus of foreign success should ensure a large readership here. Even Ulster rednecks, to say nothing of mild Anglicans who detest Christianity cooking with garlic, will feel comforted by this image of a secure age when there was an answer to everything, when small, walled society could be self-sufficient, and the only pollution was diabolic. Patriots will be pleased to find such a society in need of British pragmatism.
added by SnootyBaronet | editObserver, Anthony Burgess

Vlot, HennyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voogd, Pietha deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weaver, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Костюкович… ЕленаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Books are not made to be believed, but to be subjected to inquiry. When we consider a book, we mustn’t ask ourselves what it says but what it means.
There are magic moments, involving great physical fatigue and intense motor excitement, that produce visions of people known in the past. As I learned later from the delightful little book of the Abbé de Bucquoy, there are also visions of books as yet unwritten.
not infrequently, books speak of books: it is as if they spoke among themselves.
I have seen many other fragments of the cross in other churches. If all were genuine, our Lord’s torment could not have been on a couple of planks nailed together, but on an entire forest.
In my country [Austria], when you joke you say something and then you laugh very noisily so everyone shares in your joke. William [a Briton] laughed only when he said serious things, and remained very serious when he was presumably joking.

This is a mystery wherein several deaths, presumed to be murders, are investigated by a former inquisitor, Brother William, at the request of the Abbot who wishes, for political reasons, to resolve the deaths and their attendant scandals before the arrival of a Papal delegation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,278,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible