The Name of the Rose (Everyman's Library…

The Name of the Rose (Everyman's Library (Cloth)) (original 1980; edition 2006)

by Umberto Eco

13,123202171 (4.2)1 / 747
Member:pgnyce
Title:The Name of the Rose (Everyman's Library (Cloth))
Authors:Umberto Eco
Info:Everyman's Library (2006), Hardcover, 600 pages

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (1980)

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (ehines, hankreardon, Sensei-CRS)
    ehines: Surprised not to find this way up on Name of the Rose's rec list. FP is a much more recent period piece--the period is marked by 1968 as Name of the Rose's is marked by the emergence of the Franciscans. Well done look at the conspiratorial mindset.
    Dissolution by C. J. Sansom (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both feature ghastly murders in a monastery in a time of religious conflict and turmoil. The Name of the Rose (medieval Italy) is more philosophical, while Dissolution (Tudor England) is more of a straight-forward historical mystery. Both offer interesting insights into the political and religious issues of the times.… (more)
    Baudolino by Umberto Eco (aces)
    An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears (Booksloth)
    The Key to The Name of the Rose: Including Translations of All Non-English Passages by Adele J. Haft (Taphophile13)
    The Quincunx by Charles Palliser (Booksloth)
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (mrcmrc)
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (girlunderglass)
    girlunderglass: Two words: mystery + learned men (in The Name of the Rose, scholars of ecclesiastical books, in TSH of ancient Greek books)
    My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (adithyajones, IamAleem)
    adithyajones: Both of them are historical mystery fiction but both are not plain vanilla whodunits rather serious books which looks at the life at that time in minute detail
    Doctor Mirabilis by James Blish (bertilak)
    bertilak: Both books have subplots about the controversial teachings of Joachim of Fiore.
    The Athenian Murders by José Carlos Somoza (Booksloth)
    Zwischen Utopie und Wirklichkeit: Konstruierte Sprachen für die globalisierte Welt by Bayerische Staatsbibliothek München (gangleri)
    Shadow & Claw: The First Half of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (LamontCranston)
    A Time to Keep Silence by Patrick Leigh Fermor (Laura400)
    Laura400: A brief book that relates this 20th Century author's travels to four monasteries, including extended stays in two French Benedictine monasteries. It is not a mystery or a book like "The Name of The Rose." But it is a nice meditation on a way of life that appears nearly unchanged over the centuries.… (more)
    Gospel by Wilton Barnhardt (Medellia)
    Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell (KayCliff)
    Ex-Libris by Ross King (roby72)
    The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies (ehines)
    ehines: These are very different books in some ways--Davies is much more of a character man than Eco, for instance. But for both of them, dealing with the issues coming out of 1968 loom large, and both of them have a lot of fun dealing with them.
    The Waning of the Middle Ages by Johan Huizinga (posquacchera)
    Sword & Citadel: The Second Half of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (LamontCranston)

1980s (2)
Unread books (1,071)

English (159)  Italian (11)  Spanish (10)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  French (4)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (202)
I love this book from cover to cover. the apocalyptic end if very reminiscent to that of the Fall Of the House of Usher. a corrupted entity that is a microcosm of the corrupted medieval Christendom that has to give away at the end. the down fall is precipitated by the enemy of laughter. ( )
  Mohamed80 | Jul 11, 2015 |
Although it's a difficult read, it's fascinating. Set in the 1200's in northern Italy, the story is told by Adso, the young helper of William of Baskerville, a priest from England who has been an Inquisitor. William has been called to investigate a murder in a large Abbey filled with many books and monks from around the world. As the story unfolds more murders take place against the background of theological arguments and mysterious signs. The library is held in a round tower and is guarded securely by the Abbot and the librarian. This is also the time of much confusion in the Catholic Church between the Order of Francis and the Pope John XII. Add this to the political upheaval in Europe and Italy and things are very confusing. There are many branches of the Franciscians, some of who actually destroy wealth and others who just live in poverty. The Pope, on the other hand, is in charge of the great wealth of the Catholic Church.

The book contains many Latin phrases and vocabulary which is difficult. (I found a book on Google which helped to translate much of the Latin). There are pages of theological arguments and historical portrayals of the many diverse sects of different orders of the church. William is a sort of Sherlock Holmes in reading clues missed by most. There is humor, horror, history, and theology.

Certainly not for everyone's taste, but I enjoyed it. The minute details of monks arguing over which would seem to us to be bizarre points becomes almost humorous and makes the reader wonder about what is true and what is not. ( )
  maryreinert | May 28, 2015 |
Maybe my concentration has waned over the years since I last read this book, but this time round I did find parts of it tedious. I felt that part of Eco’s aim was a reconstruction of ecclesiastic history, something borne out by the lengthy passages going back over what had happened in the earlier centuries and making some of his characters people who did actually exist. In other words, I thought he was allowing his preoccupation with his version of history to dominate the novel.

There would be lots of this book that your averagely well-informed reader just wouldn’t understand. I studied Latin at school but did not have the patience to spend time trying to work out what all those phrases meant. And sometimes I think Eco was just enjoying chucking unusual words at the reader, such as when William responds to anrgument by saying ‘That seems to me a good enthymeme’ – unless, of course, this book was intended for a more select readership. After all, Eco is an erudite man and no doubt enjoyed illustrating all the philosophies he believes in. Still, it was odd to have William of Baskerville such a clone of Sherlock Holmes (even to his Baskerville heritage) with Adso marvelling at how William worked out that the men from the monastery were looking for the abbot’s horse. It was such a manufactured episode and seemed overdone in its nod to Conan Doyle. I guess it alerts the reader to several of the other characters who are new impersonations of other people.

William comes across to me as a highly intelligent, amazingly well-informed character with strong logic but he never became quite three-dimensional enough, his dry calculations setting him apart as an enigma-solver. Yes, he gave up being an inquisitor because he recognised the failings of the system – and maybe lost his faith, but I still didn’t see enough of a human in him.

So, for me more development of character and less of the narrow erudition would have made for a more engrossing book even if masses of people have obviously found it very satisfying. ( )
  evening | May 10, 2015 |
I just recently reread The Name of the Rose (1980, English trans. 1983), and I did so in the current Kindle edition, which seems to be the e-book version of a 2014 reprint. Try to get this edition of the book, especially if you are interested not just in reading but also in writing, because it contains a fascinating authorial postscript describing Eco's own authorial process in creating this novel. (Actually, this postscript may be part of some earlier edition as well, but I don't think it's contained in the 1980/1983 original, so check out the edition's contents before buying.) ( )
  CurrerBell | May 6, 2015 |
“Thus I rediscovered what writers have always known (and have told us again and again): books always speak of other books, and every story tells a story that has already been told.”

Adso a young novice monk, relates the story of how he accompanies the Franciscan monk William of Baskerville to an abbey in northern Italy, where a meeting between opposing factions in the Church will soon take place. The pope, who is very rich, wants to keep factions of monks who advocate poverty for the clergy from gaining power. The abbey is in a state of anxiety because a monk has recently died; the monks believe he was murdered and that supernatural, evil forces are loose in the abbey. As more deaths follow, William uses logic to discover how the monks died. William advocates observing carefully to understand the signs that will reveal truth. In contrast, others, such as the inquisitor Bernard Gui, rely on superstition and assumptions.

Heresy is a word used throughout. The book is set in the 14th century,towards the end of the Dark Ages and in this book heresy stands for double standards. The abbey is a microcosm of the greater society where people are beginning to thirst for knowledge and even the clergy are questioning the teachings and the control that the larger Church exerts. Therefore, the word heresy is used by the Church and its elders to control the masses and to instil fear in anyone who questions its accepted orthodoxy. Therefore, the library within the abbey is tightly controlled by a few as they try to ration knowledge and it is no coincidence that it is those who are most inquisitive are those who died. There are also petty jealousies within the abbey which causes added friction as its inhabitants struggle to separate themselves from the greater community.

Personally I found the book over long and generally dull with an over use of Latin quotes and brackets which I largely tried to skip. The deaths and William's and Adso's attempts to solve the 'crimes' were enough to keep me interested in carrying on reading but the other machinations generally left me cold. So overall whilst I'm glad that I've read it it is not something that I will want to revisit. ( )
  PilgrimJess | Apr 30, 2015 |
The Name of the Rose is a monumental exercise in mystification by a fun-loving scholar.
added by Shortride | editTime, Patricia Blake (Jun 13, 1983)

One may find some of the digressions a touch self-indulgent... yet be carried along by Mr. Eco's knowledge and narrative skills. And if at the end the solution strikes the reader as more edifying than plausible, he has already received ample compensation from a richly stocked and eminently civilized intelligence.

Eco, Umbertoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Voogd, Pietha deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Костюкович… ЕленаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Books are not made to be believed, but to be subjected to inquiry. When we consider a book, we mustn’t ask ourselves what it says but what it means.
There are magic moments, involving great physical fatigue and intense motor excitement, that produce visions of people known in the past. As I learned later from the delightful little book of the Abbé de Bucquoy, there are also visions of books as yet unwritten.
not infrequently, books speak of books: it is as if they spoke among themselves.
I have seen many other fragments of the cross in other churches. If all were genuine, our Lord’s torment could not have been on a couple of planks nailed together, but on an entire forest.
In my country [Austria], when you joke you say something and then you laugh very noisily so everyone shares in your joke. William [a Briton] laughed only when he said serious things, and remained very serious when he was presumably joking.
This is a mystery wherein several deaths, presumed to be murders, are investigated by a former inquisitor, Brother William, at the request of the Abbot who wishes, for political reasons, to resolve the deaths and their attendant scandals before the arrival of a Papal delegation.

“A brilliantly conceived adventure into another time” (San Francisco Chronicle) by critically acclaimed author Umberto Eco.

The year is 1327. Franciscans in a wealthy Italian abbey are suspected of heresy, and Brother William of Baskerville arrives to investigate. When his delicate mission is suddenly overshadowed by seven bizarre deaths, Brother William turns to the logic of Aristotle, the theology of Aquinas, and the empirical insights of Roger Bacon to find the killer. He collects evidence, deciphers secret symbols and coded manuscripts, and digs into the eerie labyrinth of the abbey (“where the most interesting things happen at night”) armed with a wry sense of humor and a ferocious curiosity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:33 -0400)

Book Description: A spectacular best seller and now a classic, The Name of the Rose catapulted Umberto Eco, an Italian professor of semiotics turned novelist, to international prominence. An erudite murder mystery set in a fourteenth-century monastery, it is not only a gripping story but also a brilliant exploration of medieval philosophy, history, theology, and logic. In 1327, Brother William of Baskerville is sent to investigate a wealthy Italian abbey whose monks are suspected of heresy. When his mission is overshadowed by seven bizarre deaths patterned on the book of Revelation, Brother William turns detective, following the trail of a conspiracy that brings him face-to-face with the abbey's labyrinthine secrets, the subversive effects of laughter, and the medieval Inquisition. Caught in a power struggle between the emperor he serves and the pope who rules the Church, Brother William comes to see that what is at stake is larger than any mere political dispute-that his investigation is being blocked by those who fear imagination, curiosity, and the power of ideas. The Name of the Rose offers the reader not only an ingeniously constructed mystery-complete with secret symbols and coded manuscripts-but also an unparalleled portrait of the medieval world on the brink of profound transformation.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,419,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible