Ruusun nimi by Umberto Eco

Authors:Umberto Eco
Info:
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:historical, crime, mystery, religion, symbolism

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (1980)

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (ehines, hankreardon, Sensei-CRS)
    ehines: Surprised not to find this way up on Name of the Rose's rec list. FP is a much more recent period piece--the period is marked by 1968 as Name of the Rose's is marked by the emergence of the Franciscans. Well done look at the conspiratorial mindset.
    Dissolution by C. J. Sansom (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both feature ghastly murders in a monastery in a time of religious conflict and turmoil. The Name of the Rose (medieval Italy) is more philosophical, while Dissolution (Tudor England) is more of a straight-forward historical mystery. Both offer interesting insights into the political and religious issues of the times.… (more)
    The Key to The Name of the Rose: Including Translations of All Non-English Passages by Adele J. Haft (Taphophile13)
    The Quincunx by Charles Palliser (Booksloth)
    Baudolino by Umberto Eco (aces)
    An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears (Booksloth)
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (mrcmrc)
    My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (adithyajones, IamAleem)
    adithyajones: Both of them are historical mystery fiction but both are not plain vanilla whodunits rather serious books which looks at the life at that time in minute detail
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (girlunderglass)
    girlunderglass: Two words: mystery + learned men (in The Name of the Rose, scholars of ecclesiastical books, in TSH of ancient Greek books)
    The Athenian Murders by José Carlos Somoza (Booksloth)
    Shadow & Claw: The First Half of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (LamontCranston)
    Zwischen Utopie und Wirklichkeit: Konstruierte Sprachen für die globalisierte Welt by Jennifer Bretz (gangleri)
    Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (Oct326)
    Oct326: C'è molto Borges nel "Nome della Rosa". Se qualcuno ha letto il secondo ma non il primo, sarebbe un'ottima idea leggere "Finzioni": vi (ri)troverà la biblioteca labirintica, le disquisizioni teologiche, l'inchiesta con la falsa pista, e altri motivi che hanno mirabilmente (mi vien da dire: vertiginosamente) ispirato Eco.… (more)
    Headlong by Michael Frayn (KayCliff)
    A Time to Keep Silence by Patrick Leigh Fermor (Laura400)
    Laura400: A brief book that relates this 20th Century author's travels to four monasteries, including extended stays in two French Benedictine monasteries. It is not a mystery or a book like "The Name of The Rose." But it is a nice meditation on a way of life that appears nearly unchanged over the centuries.… (more)
    Doctor Mirabilis by James Blish (bertilak)
    bertilak: Both books have subplots about the controversial teachings of Joachim of Fiore.
    Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell (KayCliff)
    Ex-Libris by Ross King (roby72)
    Gospel by Wilton Barnhardt (Medellia)
    The Secret Supper by Javier Sierra (Limelite)
    Limelite: Two clerics sent to investigate mysterious and secretive goings on in abbeys find death and revelation as they successfully untangle and avert the web of church politics and conflicts over man's greatest artistic and literary heritage.

1980s (2)

English (177)  Spanish (12)  Italian (11)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  German (5)  Catalan (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  All (2)  Portuguese (1)  All (225)
The author has a great advantage over most of us. With his deep knowledge of the history of the place and the time, his investment in the work carries more meaning than we can fully absorb. Nonetheless, having purchased and read the book, a decade later seeing the film, and yet another decade on, reading the book again, I am glad for his work. what makes him write? Sharing his triste sense of the passage of the time, and the growth of nations and men, we may be speechless in sensing that nothing, after all, has changed.
  PavelGromnic | Jul 22, 2017 |
‘The library is a great labyrinth, sign of the labyrinth of the world. You enter and you do not know whether you will come out.’

The Name of the Rose is a mystery story set in an Italian abbey in 1327. It follows a young novice monk, Adso, and his master, William, who have been sent to the abbey on a mission concerning suspected heresy. When they arrive at the abbey, however, seven of the monks die, one after the other, in mysterious circumstances, and Adso and William become detectives in the murder investigation. That is as far as I will summarise the plot, because if there is one word with which I can describe this book, it’s ‘complex’! The reader is plunged into the medieval world of scholarly philosophy, apocalyptic prophesies, political drama and heretical sects, and I found it all quite difficult to understand, but I think it’s like arriving in a foreign country without a guide; no one explains everything to you and you need to absorb the local culture for yourself as time goes on. Sometimes while reading I felt that I’d only taken in half the book and I’d need to re-read it to try to understand the rest, and even then there would probably still be a lot that I had completely missed! I think this is due to the density of the book; it’s completely loaded with detail, and I think the author must have an incredible obsession with the medieval period. He certainly succeeded in creating a complete and unique world (and I think it must be significant that the book takes place over seven days), and entering a new world has to include some effort and just plain old confusion.

It’s not completely true that the reader has no guide through this strange world, because the tale is all told quite engagingly by Adso, the young novice, who now in his old age is recalling the events of his youth. Adso is a loveable and innocent character, although intelligent and able to assist his master in his detective work, and I liked the way that the narrative enabled the reader to see beyond Adso’s thoughts and interpret the plot with a modern eye. In fact, it is quite a witty and amusing book for that reason. Adso is therefore something of an ‘unreliable narrator’ because clearly the modern reader won’t agree with all his medieval ideas, but the book doesn’t allow us to look back on the Middle Ages from a position of superiority; I think it shows what a rich and complicated world it was, if very alien to us now. I also felt drawn to William, because he is quite a modern character, and tends to be more sceptical and less devout than the other characters, opposing the bloodthirsty inquisitions and torture of heretics. I think the book is showing how secular ideas began to break through into medieval times, and these ideas are embodied in the character of William.

The characters are nearly all male, as you might expect from a novel set in a monastery, and a female reader can only really imagine herself into this world as an outsider, since women are described by the monks in various florid passages as being sinful and the cause of vice in men. There is the curious sense that women have a great amount of power over men through their sexuality, although it’s described as being something evil. The one female character who actually appears in the story (as opposed to simply being mentioned by others) is a girl hanging around one night in the abbey kitchen with whom Adso breaks his monastic vows of chastity. It is quite sad (for us in modern times) that Adso is completely lovelorn but feels he has done something sinful which he can never repeat (even though he can’t help feeling that there was something good in the whole affair as well). The way the girl is unnamed is also somehow quite moving. ‘That was the only earthly love of my life, and I could not, then or ever after, call that love by name.’

Various characters in the novel tell stories of their involvement in extreme religious sects, and women seem to have played a prominent role, even becoming leaders, in some of these groups. I found it interesting to learn about how radical as well as violent these sects were, and how many of them encouraged polygamy and denied the existence of hell and promoted other ideas that were not at all welcome to the church.

In general, intellectual pride is seen by characters in the novel as a sin; in fact many traits that we see now as just human, maybe even positive, were (it seems at least in this book) viewed as sinful in the Middle Ages. The novel is about curiosity and the love of knowledge, which is obviously punished in the Bible, and also leads to all kinds of intrigue and drama in the abbey, in that the monks’ curiosity is denied and must be pursued in secret. One of my favourite passages in the book is when William and Adso dare to enter and explore the library, a wonderful and very mysterious place that is forbidden to nearly all the monks. The Name of the Rose is a novel in which ideas and learning are highly important, and more emotion is felt over books and libraries than over almost anything else; the only time (I think) in the novel that William sheds a tear is over a book.

The Name of the Rose was quite different from what I usually read. Although it’s not a conscious decision, I realise that I usually choose books that are based more around atmosphere, place and (most of all) character, and although all those things are important in this novel, it’s mainly a very intellectual and plot-driven book, which lures the reader into attempting to understand both the murder mystery and the elaborate and unfamiliar world that the author has created. ( )
  papercat | Jun 27, 2017 |
Non avevo letto niente di interessante e lungo in italiano da molto, molto tempo, forse troppo.

Sono veramente felice che dopo tutti questi anni io posso ancora leggere libri cosi, sembra che tutto il mio vocabulary é con me. Credevo di aver dimenticato tutto. (Scrivendo questo, capisco peró che ho dimenticato le regole per gli accenti gravi e acuti, e che in generale trovare le parole giuste è difficile.)

Il libro è forse un pó difficile da leggere, ma bello. Troppi dettagli e troppa religione, questo forse aiuta con l'atmosfera ma non credo che è giustificato in questa quantità. Ci sono molte frasi che fanno pensare, random pieces of advice, if you will, e se in ogni altro libro io avrei potuto saltare pagine di descrizioni che non sembrano essere necessari senza colpa, qui invece sapevo che la dentro potrebbero esserci gemme, e con un sospiro leggevo.

Un libro veramente bello, mi è piaciuto, ma non credo che lo rileggero mai. ( )
  pchr8 | May 11, 2017 |
A masterpiece. ( )
  Hymlock | Apr 28, 2017 |
My only reason for rating this 4**** rather than 5***** is that it is better to read the Kindle edition because it includes a postscript by Eco detailing the authorial process. I assume the Kindle edition is based on a previously published treeware edition (apparently 1984 Mariner edition), but whatever, check out for the authorial postscript. ( )
  CurrerBell | Nov 19, 2016 |
The Name of the Rose is a monumental exercise in mystification by a fun-loving scholar.
added by Shortride | editTime, Patricia Blake (Jun 13, 1983)

One may find some of the digressions a touch self-indulgent... yet be carried along by Mr. Eco's knowledge and narrative skills. And if at the end the solution strikes the reader as more edifying than plausible, he has already received ample compensation from a richly stocked and eminently civilized intelligence.

Eco, Umbertoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weaver, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Костюкович… ЕленаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Books are not made to be believed, but to be subjected to inquiry. When we consider a book, we mustn’t ask ourselves what it says but what it means.
There are magic moments, involving great physical fatigue and intense motor excitement, that produce visions of people known in the past. As I learned later from the delightful little book of the Abbé de Bucquoy, there are also visions of books as yet unwritten.
not infrequently, books speak of books: it is as if they spoke among themselves.
I have seen many other fragments of the cross in other churches. If all were genuine, our Lord’s torment could not have been on a couple of planks nailed together, but on an entire forest.
In my country [Austria], when you joke you say something and then you laugh very noisily so everyone shares in your joke. William [a Briton] laughed only when he said serious things, and remained very serious when he was presumably joking.

This is a mystery wherein several deaths, presumed to be murders, are investigated by a former inquisitor, Brother William, at the request of the Abbot who wishes, for political reasons, to resolve the deaths and their attendant scandals before the arrival of a Papal delegation.

“A brilliantly conceived adventure into another time” (San Francisco Chronicle) by critically acclaimed author Umberto Eco.

The year is 1327. Franciscans in a wealthy Italian abbey are suspected of heresy, and Brother William of Baskerville arrives to investigate. When his delicate mission is suddenly overshadowed by seven bizarre deaths, Brother William turns to the logic of Aristotle, the theology of Aquinas, and the empirical insights of Roger Bacon to find the killer. He collects evidence, deciphers secret symbols and coded manuscripts, and digs into the eerie labyrinth of the abbey (“where the most interesting things happen at night”) armed with a wry sense of humor and a ferocious curiosity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:33 -0400)

Book Description: A spectacular best seller and now a classic, The Name of the Rose catapulted Umberto Eco, an Italian professor of semiotics turned novelist, to international prominence. An erudite murder mystery set in a fourteenth-century monastery, it is not only a gripping story but also a brilliant exploration of medieval philosophy, history, theology, and logic. In 1327, Brother William of Baskerville is sent to investigate a wealthy Italian abbey whose monks are suspected of heresy. When his mission is overshadowed by seven bizarre deaths patterned on the book of Revelation, Brother William turns detective, following the trail of a conspiracy that brings him face-to-face with the abbey's labyrinthine secrets, the subversive effects of laughter, and the medieval Inquisition. Caught in a power struggle between the emperor he serves and the pope who rules the Church, Brother William comes to see that what is at stake is larger than any mere political dispute-that his investigation is being blocked by those who fear imagination, curiosity, and the power of ideas. The Name of the Rose offers the reader not only an ingeniously constructed mystery-complete with secret symbols and coded manuscripts-but also an unparalleled portrait of the medieval world on the brink of profound transformation.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,176,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible