Ruusun nimi by Umberto Eco

Authors:Umberto Eco
Info:
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:historical, crime, mystery, religion, symbolism

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (1980)

1980s (2)
Unread books (1,412)
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (ehines, hankreardon, Sensei-CRS)
    ehines: Surprised not to find this way up on Name of the Rose's rec list. FP is a much more recent period piece--the period is marked by 1968 as Name of the Rose's is marked by the emergence of the Franciscans. Well done look at the conspiratorial mindset.
    Dissolution by C. J. Sansom (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both feature ghastly murders in a monastery in a time of religious conflict and turmoil. The Name of the Rose (medieval Italy) is more philosophical, while Dissolution (Tudor England) is more of a straight-forward historical mystery. Both offer interesting insights into the political and religious issues of the times.… (more)
    Baudolino by Umberto Eco (aces)
    An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears (Booksloth)
    The Key to The Name of the Rose: Including Translations of All Non-English Passages by Adele J. Haft (Taphophile13)
    The Quincunx by Charles Palliser (Booksloth)
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (mrcmrc)
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (girlunderglass)
    girlunderglass: Two words: mystery + learned men (in The Name of the Rose, scholars of ecclesiastical books, in TSH of ancient Greek books)
    Ex-Libris by Ross King (roby72)
    My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (adithyajones, IamAleem)
    adithyajones: Both of them are historical mystery fiction but both are not plain vanilla whodunits rather serious books which looks at the life at that time in minute detail
    The Athenian Murders by José Carlos Somoza (Booksloth)
    Shadow & Claw: The First Half of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (LamontCranston)
    Zwischen Utopie und Wirklichkeit: Konstruierte Sprachen für die globalisierte Welt by Bayerische Staatsbibliothek München (gangleri)
    Doctor Mirabilis by James Blish (bertilak)
    bertilak: Both books have subplots about the controversial teachings of Joachim of Fiore.
    A Time to Keep Silence by Patrick Leigh Fermor (Laura400)
    Laura400: A brief book that relates this 20th Century author's travels to four monasteries, including extended stays in two French Benedictine monasteries. It is not a mystery or a book like "The Name of The Rose." But it is a nice meditation on a way of life that appears nearly unchanged over the centuries.… (more)
    Gospel by Wilton Barnhardt (Medellia)
    Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell (KayCliff)
    The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies (ehines)
    ehines: These are very different books in some ways--Davies is much more of a character man than Eco, for instance. But for both of them, dealing with the issues coming out of 1968 loom large, and both of them have a lot of fun dealing with them.
    The Waning of the Middle Ages by Johan Huizinga (posquacchera)
    Sword & Citadel: The Second Half of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (LamontCranston)

English (152)  Italian (11)  Spanish (9)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  French (4)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (193)
A playfully intellectual philosophy-discourse-masked-as-mystery spanned over seven days in an apt and necessary setting of a remote Benedictine monastery, the novel is a masterclass of literary and rhetoric devices.

If you came upon this book expecting a typical modern-literature-style mystery, be prepared to be severely disappointed but hopefully won over by meandering-but-interesting digressions on poverty, property, knowledge, medieval medicine, architecture, church politics, whether Jesus laughed, etc. The beginning of the book hints at this layered complexity: the novel itself claims to be a translation of a work written by a monk, Adso of Melk, near the end of his life recounting the seven days that happened while he was a novice - basically three layers of author-ity.

Speaking of wordplay, it is a joy to read this book. Antimetaboles abound, "united in their variety and varied in their unity" (pg 42 and many more!), especially in lists which seemed to have made several other readers listless. However, I have to agree with Adso when he stops himself from continuing a list, "The list could surely go on, and there is nothing more wonderful than a list, instrument of wondrous hypotyposis." which has to be the best word/description of the lists' purpose/defense of the lists' presence.

Nevertheless, my favourite presence is William's. Some might say that he is unrealistic, that a man so learned and accepting of technology - that is, 14th century technology and whatever they could have thought of, a flying machine, for instance - betrays his root as a fictional character of modern invention. I choose to think that of course there must have been someone like this back in the day, otherwise how could we have progressed to now?

My favourite characterisation of this picture of calm and wise William is when he is precisely not that, the less-than-one-handful of times when he is described as embarrassed or humiliated (the best one is where he delved into a monologue of self-pity which insulted Adso and himself as "a pair of clowns... [who] would be a great success at fairs, and that was what we should do instead of trying to solve mysteries"). Or perhaps just every instance when a foolish or bumbling Adso seeks his approval or comfort and he either physically reproaches him or delivers a sassy aside or name-calling insult. For example, much later after Adso had sex with the peasant girl, William excuses their on-going investigation's underhanded method of gathering information with a, ""may God forgive us this deception, since He forgives so many other thing," he said, looking at me slyly.". His antagonistic repartee with Bernard Gui was also a thing to behold.

Of course, William's superb ability to be a sitcom character would be nothing in the book if he did not have some actual deductive and knowledgeable capabilities to back it up, which he has in spades. Number theory/cryptography, logic, rhetoric, medicine, languages, etc, are just some of this polymath's repertoire.

Often, I pick on perceived deficiencies in a book just to avoid giving a five-star review. (The unfavourable depiction of women - with generalisations of weak or scheming - that is unnecessary for or jarring in the plot is a favourite pet peeve of mine, especially when the male characters far outnumber the female ones often for no reason. Yet, in a story set in a monastery in the 14th century, the sole physical woman - not a saint who is basically a lust-inducing tool for some monks -, did not set off alarm bells for me. Rather, her role made complete sense thematically.) However, in this book full of puzzle-solving, love of language - there is actually a name for Salvatore's speech pattern: soraismus! -, a labyrinth library described in detail - not to mention a floorplan of said library within the book as well as the floorplan of the detailed monastery at the beginning -, learned debates and philosophising - including an intellectual discussion about unicorns!, great characterisation - the underlying politics, jealousy, back-stabbing, gossiping between the monks reminds me of the Stone Mountain episode of 30 Rock where Jack insists that country people are just better people and Liz disagrees that no, nobody is better, everybody is the worst -, I have happily failed in my nitpicking mission. ( )
  kitzyl | Nov 23, 2014 |
საინტერესო მაგრამ გაწელილი. ეკლესიის შიგნით რაც ხდ​ება იმას ნათლად აჩვენებს​ ( )
  buqu | Nov 12, 2014 |
This is another book that had been languishing on my shelves for a very long time. I liked the movie ages ago, and one of my best college friends is obsessed with Eco, so I'd bought a few books and have been moving them house to house forever. I'd tried to read this one before, too, but I don't know how many pages of church history and architecture I made it through before I gave up. Have you ever heard anyone say Moby Dick would be a fine book if it weren't for all the damn whaling? Well, I felt this way about this book and church history. But I needed a book for book bingo that was over 500 pages, and this is also on the bookslut 100, so I persevered.

Of course, like the whaling in Moby Dick, it turns out all the church history was important to the book's plot. I just wish I had more hooks to hang it all on in my brain -- so many factions, so many unfamiliar names. I muddled through. But whatever details I missed, it ended up being a great framework for discussing big moral questions -- poverty and wealth, knowledge and who gets to have it, humility, humor, awe.

The experience of reading this book was damaged for me by my partial memories of the movie. I remembered part of the final resolution, but only a small part, so the whole way though I was struggling to make that part fit in with the unfolding mystery at the abbey -- the increasing body count, the hidden heretics, the prophecies of end times.

The more you read of any kind of church history, the more you realize how little of it changes. It must be the human condition. We're always dividing ourselves up and saying we have the true belief and you are infidels. But as much as it is unchanging, I am grateful that we've left some things behind. Like, you know, the Inquisition, and burning people at the stake.

It was very good. Maybe someday I'll give that other Eco book that's been sitting on my shelves forever a try. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Very like An Instance of the Fingerpost in regard to historical detail and atmosphere—not to mention compelling story-telling. It IS a mystery, but the story and characters are what kept me reading. Set in a monastery in the 1300s this novel is rife with intrigue and fascinating characters. ( )
  vlcraven | Aug 18, 2014 |
There's not much hard data in this book, but I understand that if you read Italian, it's a stylistic triumph. I found the mystery not so good as a Cadfell, but still adequate. I enjoyed the library lust scene both in the book and in the movie, and have my own list of favourites...The missing books of Livy for instance, and the missing parts of Polybius, and any competent Fifth Century Roman historian. Oh, as long as we're doing a wish list... the collection of old Frankish and Gothic lays that Louis the Pius had destroyed when he inherited Charlemagne's library. ( )
1 vote DinadansFriend | Aug 12, 2014 |
The Name of the Rose is a monumental exercise in mystification by a fun-loving scholar.
added by Shortride | editTime, Patricia Blake (Jun 13, 1983)

One may find some of the digressions a touch self-indulgent... yet be carried along by Mr. Eco's knowledge and narrative skills. And if at the end the solution strikes the reader as more edifying than plausible, he has already received ample compensation from a richly stocked and eminently civilized intelligence.

Eco, Umbertoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weaver, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Костюкович… Е.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Books are not made to be believed, but to be subjected to inquiry. When we consider a book, we mustn’t ask ourselves what it says but what it means.
There are magic moments, involving great physical fatigue and intense motor excitement, that produce visions of people known in the past. As I learned later from the delightful little book of the Abbé de Bucquoy, there are also visions of books as yet unwritten.
not infrequently, books speak of books: it is as if they spoke among themselves.
I have seen many other fragments of the cross in other churches. If all were genuine, our Lord’s torment could not have been on a couple of planks nailed together, but on an entire forest.
In my country [Austria], when you joke you say something and then you laugh very noisily so everyone shares in your joke. William [a Briton] laughed only when he said serious things, and remained very serious when he was presumably joking.
This is a mystery wherein several deaths, presumed to be murders, are investigated by a former inquisitor, Brother William, at the request of the Abbot who wishes, for political reasons, to resolve the deaths and their attendant scandals before the arrival of a Papal delegation.

“A brilliantly conceived adventure into another time” (San Francisco Chronicle) by critically acclaimed author Umberto Eco.

The year is 1327. Franciscans in a wealthy Italian abbey are suspected of heresy, and Brother William of Baskerville arrives to investigate. When his delicate mission is suddenly overshadowed by seven bizarre deaths, Brother William turns to the logic of Aristotle, the theology of Aquinas, and the empirical insights of Roger Bacon to find the killer. He collects evidence, deciphers secret symbols and coded manuscripts, and digs into the eerie labyrinth of the abbey (“where the most interesting things happen at night”) armed with a wry sense of humor and a ferocious curiosity.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:31 -0400)

Book Description: A spectacular best seller and now a classic, The Name of the Rose catapulted Umberto Eco, an Italian professor of semiotics turned novelist, to international prominence. An erudite murder mystery set in a fourteenth-century monastery, it is not only a gripping story but also a brilliant exploration of medieval philosophy, history, theology, and logic. In 1327, Brother William of Baskerville is sent to investigate a wealthy Italian abbey whose monks are suspected of heresy. When his mission is overshadowed by seven bizarre deaths patterned on the book of Revelation, Brother William turns detective, following the trail of a conspiracy that brings him face-to-face with the abbey's labyrinthine secrets, the subversive effects of laughter, and the medieval Inquisition. Caught in a power struggle between the emperor he serves and the pope who rules the Church, Brother William comes to see that what is at stake is larger than any mere political dispute-that his investigation is being blocked by those who fear imagination, curiosity, and the power of ideas. The Name of the Rose offers the reader not only an ingeniously constructed mystery-complete with secret symbols and coded manuscripts-but also an unparalleled portrait of the medieval world on the brink of profound transformation.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible