The Name Of The Rose (Vintage Classics) by…

The Name Of The Rose (Vintage Classics) (original 1980; edition 2004)

by Umberto Eco

13,726215153 (4.2)3 / 806
Member:TigerBeast79
Title:The Name Of The Rose (Vintage Classics)
Authors:Umberto Eco
Info:Vintage Classics (2004), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 512 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (1980)

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (ehines, hankreardon, Sensei-CRS)
    ehines: Surprised not to find this way up on Name of the Rose's rec list. FP is a much more recent period piece--the period is marked by 1968 as Name of the Rose's is marked by the emergence of the Franciscans. Well done look at the conspiratorial mindset.
    Dissolution by C. J. Sansom (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both feature ghastly murders in a monastery in a time of religious conflict and turmoil. The Name of the Rose (medieval Italy) is more philosophical, while Dissolution (Tudor England) is more of a straight-forward historical mystery. Both offer interesting insights into the political and religious issues of the times.… (more)
    Baudolino by Umberto Eco (aces)
    The Key to The Name of the Rose: Including Translations of All Non-English Passages by Adele J. Haft (Taphophile13)
    The Quincunx by Charles Palliser (Booksloth)
    An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears (Booksloth)
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (mrcmrc)
    My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (adithyajones, IamAleem)
    adithyajones: Both of them are historical mystery fiction but both are not plain vanilla whodunits rather serious books which looks at the life at that time in minute detail
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (girlunderglass)
    girlunderglass: Two words: mystery + learned men (in The Name of the Rose, scholars of ecclesiastical books, in TSH of ancient Greek books)
    The Athenian Murders by José Carlos Somoza (Booksloth)
    Shadow & Claw: The First Half of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (LamontCranston)
    Zwischen Utopie und Wirklichkeit: Konstruierte Sprachen für die globalisierte Welt by Bayerische Staatsbibliothek München (gangleri)
    Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (Oct326)
    Oct326: C'è molto Borges nel "Nome della Rosa". Se qualcuno ha letto il secondo ma non il primo, sarebbe un'ottima idea leggere "Finzioni": vi (ri)troverà la biblioteca labirintica, le disquisizioni teologiche, l'inchiesta con la falsa pista, e altri motivi che hanno mirabilmente (mi vien da dire: vertiginosamente) ispirato Eco.… (more)
    Doctor Mirabilis by James Blish (bertilak)
    bertilak: Both books have subplots about the controversial teachings of Joachim of Fiore.
    A Time to Keep Silence by Patrick Leigh Fermor (Laura400)
    Laura400: A brief book that relates this 20th Century author's travels to four monasteries, including extended stays in two French Benedictine monasteries. It is not a mystery or a book like "The Name of The Rose." But it is a nice meditation on a way of life that appears nearly unchanged over the centuries.… (more)
    Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell (KayCliff)
    Gospel by Wilton Barnhardt (Medellia)
    Ex-Libris by Ross King (roby72)
    The Waning of the Middle Ages by Johan Huizinga (posquacchera)
    The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies (ehines)
    ehines: These are very different books in some ways--Davies is much more of a character man than Eco, for instance. But for both of them, dealing with the issues coming out of 1968 loom large, and both of them have a lot of fun dealing with them.

1980s (2)

English (167)  Spanish (12)  Italian (11)  French (6)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (214)
I tried to read this when it was first published but abandoned it due to all the Latin quotations. Second time around I found it easier to manage and became intrigued by the detailed description of life in a medieval monastery. ( )
1 vote mlfhlibrarian | Apr 24, 2016 |
I give this novel 4 stars, even though it is one of the best novels I have ever layed my hands on. It would have gotten 5 stars if I had connected more to the sentiments and ideas revealed by the characters, even though both Adso and William became dear to me throughout my reading. Perhaps my lack of faith in a god created a veil through which I read, creating a prejudice in me that is hard to overcome.

Perhaps that says more of my usage of the Goodreads stars, and not that much about what I actually thought of the novel, which I will shortly explain.

This book is a true masterwork of literary story-telling, it is superb in its use of pace, and the historical accuracy mixed up with a fictional account of the tale makes it truly worth your time. Eco can write economically if required, but he also crafted some of the most vivid, captivating sentences and passages that I have ever read. All in all, a novel that I will re-read at an older age, simply because there is so much to it that I could not have possibly grasped in my first reading, at my current age.

bartt95 | Apr 10, 2016 |
A good read. Good description of that period of time. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 22, 2016 |
The Name of the Rose is about a series of murders that take place in a fourteenth century Italian abbey that has one of the best (and most secretive) libraries in existence at that time. The mystery is solved by an English monk and his assistant who are visiting the abbey. The book is also very much about the politics of Europe and religious doctrine of the Catholic church during the fourteenth century.

I had heard a lot of good things about this book before reading it, and I'm sorry to say that none of them were true. This book was awful. For every one chapter of actual action, you got four of dense theological discussions, political disagreements, or architectural descriptions (and I usually like that stuff). It was so boring that I had a hard time staying awake through more than a few chapters at a time. The book didn't get good until around page 500 (out of 600). The basic premise of the book really had potential, but there was just too much extra stuff shoved in there to make it enjoyable. I won't be reading any more of Eco's books. ( )
2 vote AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
A medieval murder mystery set in the political and religious unrest of the 1300's.

The books gives an indepth insight into the different religious factions and their beliefs and conflicts at times this information can be overwhelming.

The central mystery allows the religious and political threads to be interwoven and provides relief from the sometimes heavy going historical background.

Slow moving but intriguing if at times confusing. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
The Name of the Rose is a monumental exercise in mystification by a fun-loving scholar.
added by Shortride | editTime, Patricia Blake (Jun 13, 1983)

One may find some of the digressions a touch self-indulgent... yet be carried along by Mr. Eco's knowledge and narrative skills. And if at the end the solution strikes the reader as more edifying than plausible, he has already received ample compensation from a richly stocked and eminently civilized intelligence.

Eco, Umbertoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weaver, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Костюкович… ЕленаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Books are not made to be believed, but to be subjected to inquiry. When we consider a book, we mustn’t ask ourselves what it says but what it means.
There are magic moments, involving great physical fatigue and intense motor excitement, that produce visions of people known in the past. As I learned later from the delightful little book of the Abbé de Bucquoy, there are also visions of books as yet unwritten.
not infrequently, books speak of books: it is as if they spoke among themselves.
I have seen many other fragments of the cross in other churches. If all were genuine, our Lord’s torment could not have been on a couple of planks nailed together, but on an entire forest.
In my country [Austria], when you joke you say something and then you laugh very noisily so everyone shares in your joke. William [a Briton] laughed only when he said serious things, and remained very serious when he was presumably joking.
This is a mystery wherein several deaths, presumed to be murders, are investigated by a former inquisitor, Brother William, at the request of the Abbot who wishes, for political reasons, to resolve the deaths and their attendant scandals before the arrival of a Papal delegation.

“A brilliantly conceived adventure into another time” (San Francisco Chronicle) by critically acclaimed author Umberto Eco.

The year is 1327. Franciscans in a wealthy Italian abbey are suspected of heresy, and Brother William of Baskerville arrives to investigate. When his delicate mission is suddenly overshadowed by seven bizarre deaths, Brother William turns to the logic of Aristotle, the theology of Aquinas, and the empirical insights of Roger Bacon to find the killer. He collects evidence, deciphers secret symbols and coded manuscripts, and digs into the eerie labyrinth of the abbey (“where the most interesting things happen at night”) armed with a wry sense of humor and a ferocious curiosity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:33 -0400)

Book Description: A spectacular best seller and now a classic, The Name of the Rose catapulted Umberto Eco, an Italian professor of semiotics turned novelist, to international prominence. An erudite murder mystery set in a fourteenth-century monastery, it is not only a gripping story but also a brilliant exploration of medieval philosophy, history, theology, and logic. In 1327, Brother William of Baskerville is sent to investigate a wealthy Italian abbey whose monks are suspected of heresy. When his mission is overshadowed by seven bizarre deaths patterned on the book of Revelation, Brother William turns detective, following the trail of a conspiracy that brings him face-to-face with the abbey's labyrinthine secrets, the subversive effects of laughter, and the medieval Inquisition. Caught in a power struggle between the emperor he serves and the pope who rules the Church, Brother William comes to see that what is at stake is larger than any mere political dispute-that his investigation is being blocked by those who fear imagination, curiosity, and the power of ideas. The Name of the Rose offers the reader not only an ingeniously constructed mystery-complete with secret symbols and coded manuscripts-but also an unparalleled portrait of the medieval world on the brink of profound transformation.… (more)

Current discussions

May Group Read - The Name of the Rose (Umberto Eco) in 75 Books Challenge for 2016

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,834,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible