My Favorite Things by Maira Kalman

My Favorite Things

by Maira Kalman

An illustrated autobiography/museum catalog.

"There are memories....And always, objects inhabit the memories." (12)

"The lamp is turned on. Gentle glow. And we can read a book. The book. Calming object. Held in the hand." (67) ( )
  JennyArch | Mar 13, 2015 |
Lovely. Plus, fortuitous coptic portraits. And Mad Hatter's tea party!!!! ( )
  beckydj | Nov 30, 2014 |

From Maira Kalman, the author of the bestsellers The Principles of Uncertainty and The Elements of Style, comes this beautiful pictorial and narrative exploration of the significance of objects in our lives, drawn from her personal artifacts, recollections, and selections from the collection of the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum.

With more than fifty original paintings and featuring bestselling author and illustrator Maira Kalman’s signature handwritten prose, My Favorite Things is a poignant and witty meditation on the importance of both quotidian and unusual objects in our culture and private worlds.

Created in the same colorful, engaging, and insightful style as her previous works, which have won her fans around the world, My Favorite Things features more than fifty objects from both the Cooper-Hewitt and Kalman’s personal collections: the pocket watch Abraham Lincoln was carrying when he was shot, original editions of Winnie-the-Pooh and Alice in Wonderland, a handkerchief in memoriam of Queen Victoria, an Ingo Maurer lamp, Rietveld’s Z chair, a pair of Toscanini’s pants, and photographs Kalman has taken of people walking towards and away from her. A pictorial index provides photographs of the actual objects and a short description of them, enhancing the reading experience.

As it speaks to the universal experience and importance of beloved objects in our lives—big and small, famous and private—this unique work is a fresh way of examining and understanding our society, history, culture, and ourselves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:48 -0400)

"In 2011 [the author/artist] was invited by the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York City to curate an exhibit based on their collection. Like a shopper in some great, mad department store that housed many centuries' worth of objects, [she] browsed and inspected their archives for a year or so. The pieces that [she] chose were based on one thing only-- a gasp of delight."--Introduction.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,371,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible