Sketch!: The Non-Artist's Guide to…

Sketch!: The Non-Artist's Guide to Inspiration, Technique, and…

by France Belleville-Van Stone

Interesting with some ideas for drawing practice. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Sketch! is one of those books that celebrates the process of making art, when things might not need to be said, if only to motivate the reader to get to work (is that why there’s an exclamation point in the title?). The author relates why drawing is still relevant, and this is indeed a friendly jump-starter for non-artists. Links to relevant websites are provided throughout, for further ideas.

The book is assembled in short paragraphs with a conversational voice. Physically, there is substance and weight to the paper – nice and sturdy; also, the corners are rounded. The colors as well as the greyscale images are easy on the eyes. Her drawings have a cartoon-like look to them, accurate and recognizable, but with some little bit of a twist from reality. This is one of the major differences between a sketch and a photograph. The artwork conveys what she is trying to say better than the text, which maybe could have been a little better edited.

I wasn’t too interested in the specific tools she writes of (I would just use whatever is available), but if I ever become more serious about drawing, those pages will be good for reference. However, there are additional factors to think about, like choosing the kind of paper to work with, though not all terms are defined (ex: tooth?). The use or omission of crosshatching (a kind of shading) came with some helpful tips, and I found it interesting about how something like holding the pen (or other tool) changes at different stages. The biggest message, perhaps, is to just draw more, and as with anything else, you will improve your skills with time.

Note: I received a free copy of this title through BloggingForBooks in exchange for an honest review. For more reviews, and a “Blog Bonus”, follow my blog at http://matt-stats.blogspot.com/ ( )
  MattCembrola | Nov 27, 2015 |
In January I received Sketch!: The Non-Artist's Guide to Inspiration, Technique, and Drawing Daily Life from the publisher.

And I started drawing.

Drawing.

A little every day.

In my notebooks.

During long meetings.

In the library.

Sometimes adding a little color.

Sketch is the perfect book for the non-artist who loves to draw. We non-artists who love to draw need a lot of inspiration to get us over the hurdle of daring to draw. Sketch offers bucket loads of inspiration. We non-artists who love to draw need technique; we were never brave enough to take drawing classes at school. Sketch offers bucket loads of technique. Mostly, though, we non-artists who love to draw need to draw our daily lives. Sketch offers bucket loads of daily life drawings.

Reading Sketch! led me to seek out other good books about drawing: Drawing With Children...Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginner...Cartooning for Kids...Mark Kistler's You Can Draw in 30 Days...Illustration School: Let's Draw Happy People...and even Danny Gregory's new Art Before Breakfast and Natalie Goldberg's Living Color.

And isn't that what good books do? Send you out into the world, in search of other good books?

I'd tell you more, but I really want to get back to my drawings. If you know of other helpful books for us non-artists, please let me know. ( )
1 vote debnance | Mar 1, 2015 |

Urban sketching--the process of sketching on the go as a regular practice--is a hot trend in the drawing world. In this aspirational guide, French artist France Belleville-Van Stone offers motivation to move beyond the comfort zone, as well as instruction on turning rough sketches into finished work. By sharing her own creative process, which includes sketching by hand and digitally, Belleville-Van Stone emboldens readers to craft a method of their own and devote more time to art, even if it's just 10 minutes a day. Sketch will inspire artists both established and aspiring to rethink their daily practice, sketch for the pure joy of it, and document their lives and the world around them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:43 -0400)

"An inspirational manual for integrating sketching into daily life for artists and non-artists alike. Urban sketching--the process of sketching on the go as a regular practice--is a hot trend in the drawing world. In this aspirational guide, French artist France Belleville-Van Stone offers motivation to move beyond the comfort zone, as well as instruction on turning rough sketches into finished work. By sharing her own creative process, which includes sketching by hand and digitally, Belleville-Van Stone emboldens readers to craft a method of their own and devote more time to art, even if it's just 10 minutes a day. Sketch Your World will inspire artists both established and aspiring to rethink their daily practice, sketch for the pure joy of it, and document their lives and the world around them"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,404,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible