Stars and Swipes: 30 Postcards of Awkward…

Stars and Swipes: 30 Postcards of Awkward Americana

by Wilhelm Staehle

Cute! Received this through the giveaway as a surprise.
This is a humerous take on history that doubles as a postcard book you can actually mail to friends if you want. ( )
  hredwards | May 19, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not a book, per se, this is a collection of postcards that came along with another, Hugs And Misses. Together, they make up a very funny takes on love and history. You can bet that my friends will be receiving some of these! ( )
  DFED | Apr 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This quirky, fun, odd collection of post cards is neatly bound and can work either as a novelty book or, taken apart, as a witty vehicle for correspondence. Each card features an image of Americana, with a twist that is sometimes thoughtful, sometimes hilarious, and always entertaining. ( )
  kmctigue2002 | Jan 18, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Utterly fun!!! I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this Early Reviewers book, but the description was interesting. When I received it, I immediately sat down on the steps to begin exploring. What a delightful collection! Witty, clever, and often hilarious, I have enjoyed sharing these with friends and family. A gift that keeps on giving! ( )
  sstaheli | Dec 12, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Stars and Swipes is a bound collection of thirty postcards one can either treat as an art book or send out into the world as entertaining mail. They cover everything from Vespucci's naming of America to Susan B. Anthony's middle name to President Taft and his bathtub.

The front of each card is illustrated with white silhouettes with punny, groany, or cleverly hilarious text; the backs have a unique, related-to-the-front design in the stamp corner. A few of the cards have attributions for the background used on the front but most do not. The cards are on thick stock. Overall, this is a cleanly-designed packet; Quirk did a lovely job. I am a letter-writer and postcard-sender but am not sure if I'll mail these or keep them for myself!

I didn't know of Staehle's comic Silhouette Masterpiece Theater website beforehand and will keep my eye out for his work from now on. Good stuff! ( )
  Sarahsponda | Nov 29, 2014 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Wilhelm Staehle's book Stars and Swipes was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,399,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible