The Heart of Things: A Midwestern Almanac by…

The Heart of Things: A Midwestern Almanac

by John Hildebrand

131723,089 (4)2

“The Heart of Things” is a delightful collection of musings on Midwestern (Wisconsin) living. Originally published as newspaper columns, these essays take the reader through the months, the seasons, and the days of life. Author John Hildebrand entertains the reader with reminiscences of church suppers and compost piles, possums and weasels, deer and turtles, fishing and hunting, urban architecture and rural solitude.

This is a book you can pick-up and read straight through, keep by your chair to peruse when the game is slow or, being organized by months, take just about a section a week throughout the year. The writing style is easy to ponder and enjoy. There are many quotes that hit home but I will just mention one. In the piece entitled “Church Supper” Hildebrand verbalizes the unassailable logic that “Who needs a fancy restaurant when you can go to an elementary school cafeteria and eat wholesome, no-frills food?” Not me. I have gone to those suppers and will appreciate the next one a little bit more. Now excuse me, I think I will reread this month’s entries.

I did receive a copy of this book for review. ( )
  JmGallen | Oct 13, 2014 |

"I've never believed that living in one place means being one thing all the time, condemned like Minnie Pearl to wear the same hat for every performance. Life is more complicated than that."

In this remarkable book of days, John Hildebrand charts the overlapping rings--home, town, countryside--of life in the Midwest. Like E. B. White, Hildebrand locates the humor and drama in ordinary life: church suppers, Friday night football, outdoor weddings, garden compost, family reunions, roadside memorials, camouflage clothing. In these wry, sharply observed essays, the Midwest isn't The Land Time Forgot but a more complicated (and vastly more interesting) place where the good life awaits once we figure exactly out what it means. From his home range in northwestern Wisconsin, Hildebrand attempts to do just that by boiling down a calendar year to its rich marrow--weather, animals, family, home--in other words, all the things that matter.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0870206729, Hardcover)

“I’ve never believed that living in one place means being one thing all the time, condemned like Minnie Pearl to wear the same hat for every performance. Life is more complicated than that.”
In this remarkable book of days, John Hildebrand charts the overlapping rings—home, town, countryside—of life in the Midwest. Like E. B. White, Hildebrand locates the humor and drama in ordinary life: church suppers, Friday night football, outdoor weddings, garden compost, family reunions, roadside memorials, camouflage clothing. In these wry, sharply observed essays, the Midwest isn’t The Land Time Forgot but a more complicated (and vastly more interesting) place where the good life awaits once we figure exactly out what it means. From his home range in northwestern Wisconsin, Hildebrand attempts to do just that by boiling down a calendar year to its rich marrow of weather, animals, family, home—in other words, all the things that matter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:49 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,350,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible