Green Vanilla Tea by Marie Williams

Green Vanilla Tea

by Marie Williams

122768,668 (4)None

Just be nice to me."

If you take any one thing from Marie Williams's personal chronicle of her husband's struggle with early onset of Alzheimer's and ALS, I hope it's this.

Marie's husband, Dominic, began acting moody, agitated, combative. She thought, like most of us probably would, that he was being an ass. But when his behavior escalated to uncontrollable fits around their two sons and nonsensical work presentations as well as uncontrollable spending, she knew this was much, much more. And it was.

Marie Williams presents the following:
In his book 'The Wounded Storyteller', Arthur Frank quotes Susan Sontag as saying, "We are each citizens of two kingdoms: the kingdom of the well, and that of the sick. Although we all prefer to use only the good passport, sooner or later, each of us is obliged, at least for a spell, to identify ourselves as citizens of that other place."
Did you get that? That was me quoting Marie Williams quoting Arthur Frank quoting Susan Sontag. This book is an observation of the two kingdoms and neither come out looking too good.

Dominic Williams deteriorates and Marie and her sons struggle through the everyday life while learning ins and outs of healthcare and politics. And then there is the way Dom is treated by society, and their friends and family.

"Pity can be very isolating; there is nowhere to go from pity. One remains locked up in a sad story, alone. Pity has a way of creating and preserving hierarchical relationships between people that by their very structure assume the positions and abilities of the pitied are "less than"."

You don't have to have early onset Alzheimer's to experience that, the politics or pain of pity. But if you do, this book covers how difficult finding care is. This book discusses how people are still here even if they are disabled. And caregivers will find hope in this book.

The strength of Marie's story is that she makes the reader consider these issues in a personal way. Her story may be your story. Today. Tomorrow. Ten years from now. There are two kingdoms. Sick or well, take it with you, "Just be nice to me."

Provided by publisher ( )
  hfineisen | Oct 4, 2014 |
Haiku Review: Green Vanilla Tea Wife losing life’s love
asks, “How would you like your tea?”
Perplexed. “In a cup” ( )
  BruceGargoyle | Oct 20, 2013 |

"A true story of love and courage in the face of a deadly and little-understood illness. Amidst the delights of family life, tragedy strikes. Marie Williams watches helplessly as an undiagnosed illness slowly debilitates her 40-year-old husband Dominic in both body and mind."--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,421,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible