Separated @ Birth: A True Love Story of Twin…

Separated @ Birth: A True Love Story of Twin Sisters Reunited

by Anais Bordier, Samantha Futerman

A friend of a Korean adoptee finds a photo on Facebook of a girl who could be her double. Indeed, they begin to talk to each other from California and France, and soon learn there are too many similarities in their adoption stories for their same looks to be mere coincidence. The journey of these two young ladies, one an actress, the other a fashion design student, and their families is a stirring portrayal of lost twins found again through sheer chance and perseverance.
  EugeniaKim | Feb 22, 2017 |
A Korean adoptee living in L.A. finds her doppelgänger on Facebook, a French girl with the same birthdate and town of birth, only to later discover they are actually twins separated at birth. A big tear-jerker made into a documentary, details their discoveries and wonderment at finding each other, and the disappointment of not being able to meet their mother.
  sungene | Dec 1, 2016 |
Imagine one day opening Facebook and reading a message from a stranger that says, "I think we might be twins... don't freak out..."

I was introduced to the women in this book Samantha and Anaïs through their Kickstarter Page 'TWINSTERS' that had gone viral last year. I was fascinated by their story: two sisters, one an American actress living in California and the other a french fashion design student living in London found each other through social media. By the time I got around to their kickstarter page, their campaign had ended and since I didn't want to wait around for the documentary, I found their book online. I don't usually read memoirs but I found this book really interesting. Not just because the plot sounds like it could be a Lifetime movie event but because I was basically given the ending (the sisters finding each other) and having to work backwards to fill in their journey.

The book narration switches between the two sisters Samantha and Anaïs, throughout the book. By the fourth chapter I knew who was writing the section even without the heading because each sister had such an individual voice and style of writing. The story spans over several months and spans over three continents in their journey of discovering not just each other but each other's families, friends and life. Having watched their Kickstarter trailer and a couple of their interviews on YouTube, I can see their personality in the way they write. Sam is a very 'take charge' kinda girl (she was also the one that initiated their trip to South Korea) while Anaïs presence just oozes French. The 19 chapters + epilogue covers their journey, from their initial contact on Facebook to exchanging adoption papers and photos, meeting each other in person, travelling thousands of miles to South Korea and spending holidays together. There's a lot of love, laughs and joy that's contained in this book. I never once felt that they were angry or sad about their circumstances but rather grateful and joyful that they were able to find each other through the power of social media which is something that may not have not have been possible 10 years ago.

This book also covers their feelings about 1) being adopted and 2) being Asian and adopted by white families in two different continents. They talked in depth about the prejudices they individually encounters even to this day. There was even a section where Anaïs talks about how if one of her neighbor sees her on the street and doesn't know her family they may think that she's the maid not the daughter.

I had a hard time placing this book my reading challenge list between a memoir or a book that made me cry. Books rarely make me cry and I am not a big fan of the memoir genre but since I made the commitment to read one book per challenge, I will mark this book down as a book that made me cry. I may have had a couple of sniffles throughout the book but I made it through 19 chapters without a single tear.Then I hit the epilogue where the sisters had their sets of parents write their experiences and Anaïs' dad got me, "When I held Sam in my arms to greet her, my heart fainted and all my rational prejudices faded away instantly. I did not need a DNA test anymore to know that the extraordinary had happened." Merci for the tears Monsieur Jacque Bordier. ( )
  jnat88 | Mar 21, 2015 |

Anais Bordierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Futerman, Samanthamain authorall editionsconfirmed

Imagine one day opening Facebook and reading a message from a stranger that says, “I think we might be twins…don’t freak out…”

It all began when design student Anaïs Bordier viewed a YouTube video and saw her own face staring back. After some research, Anaïs found that the Los Angeles actress Samantha Futerman was born in a South Korean port city called Busan on November 19, 1987—the exact same location and day that Anaïs was born. This propelled her to make contact—via Facebook. One message later, both girls wondered: Could they be twins?

Thus begins their remarkable journey to build a relationship as sisters, continents apart. Over Facebook, Twitter, and Skype, they learned that they shared much more than a strikingly similar appearance. Eventually, they traveled to Korea together to discover more about the land of their separation. Separated @ Birth is a story that spans the world and peels back some of the complex and emotional layers of foreign adoption.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:54 -0400)

Traces the remarkable story of a pair of identical twins, adopted and raised separately in different countries, who discovered each other by chance on social media sites and pieced together their origins.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,723,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible