I Must Say by Martin Short

I Must Say

by Martin Short

Other authors: David Kamp

2052457,211 (4.09)13

great balance of funny, historical (SE.TV & SNL) and personal insights. Audio will be better than reading. ( )
  jbenge | Jul 13, 2017 |
I love the movies Pure Luck and Innerspace. They are ridiculous, and probably do not hold up, but I love them. I also hold a special place in my heart for The Three Amigos. The one thing they have in common? Martin Short.

This is a very sweet book, which makes sense, because Mr. Short is, by all reports, a very sweet guy. He seems kind, generous, and funny in a dorky way that works for some people but not everyone. And if written by anyone else, I think this book would rub me the wrong way. It’s basically a few chapters about his early life, followed by a whole lot of name dropping. But the thing is, he’s not actually dropping names. These are just his friends, and they of course feature prominently in his memoir.

Mr. Short faced some rough stuff in his life. He lost his older brother when he was in his early teens; by the time he was 20 he was an orphan. His wife died in 2010, after 30 years of marriage. He’s experienced a lot of loss, but he’s also experienced a lot of joy. He’s had an extraordinarily successful career without necessarily being everywhere all the time. I don’t know if most people think of him as a big name of comedy, but I think comedians think of him as a big name in comedy, and they would know. I also have some issues with some of his choices – especially using a fat suit as Jiminy Glick – but I do genuinely believe it does not ever come from a place of hate.

One thing I really took away from this book is the Nine Categories. It sounds like a cult, but it’s kind of amazing, and I think I’m actually going to try it. Basically, as he faced some challenging times in his career, he wanted to keep things in perspective, and make sure he was devoting time to the things in his life that matter. So, to quote him: “I decided to systematically compare my performance in that one specific category of my life – work – with my performance in the other important life categories, and to give them all equal importance.” Man, that is a refreshing outlook. It doesn’t put work at the center of everything. In case you’re interested, the categories are:
- Self
- Immediate Family
- Original Family
- Friends
- Money
- Career
- Creativity
- Discipline
- Lifestyle (this is meant to include both having fun and making a difference in the world)

I love it.

I read the book, but I believe he read the audio version, and I’m betting that would be fantastic.
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
Very funny. Definitely recommend listening to this one; I think that much would be lost during the standupesque sections. ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
I've never been a big fan of Martin Short. I've enjoyed his work but I wouldn't go out of my way to see him. I listened to the audiobook version with Martin reading. I'm glad I picked this up. I learned so much more about him and have a new respect for him. I enjoy comedy and it was interesting to hear about the behind the scenes of his work. Also sad when his family members passed including his wife Nan who he adored.

This is well worth the listen. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
I'm not a big fan of celebrity memoirs (or Martin Short, for that matter) so it was a fluke that I picked this up, hoping I wouldn't regret it. As it turns out the only thing I regret is that I didn't go for the audiobook instead. It's the only way this could be any funnier. That said, I Must Say isn't just about comedy. There's plenty about Short's early life, family and career, and a touching tribute to his late wife near the end. The name dropping did get heavy in a few places (and early on he calls himself out on it) but I guess it would be hard to write about a long and varied show biz career without including the celebrities he worked with and who became his friends. He comes across as genuinely happy, as someone he quotes joked about him, "of all the comedy people (they) know...I am the only one who's truly laughing on the inside". ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |

Martin Shortprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kamp, Davidsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

In this engagingly witty, wise, and heartfelt memoir, Martin Short tells the tale of how a showbiz-obsessed kid from Canada transformed himself into one of Hollywood’s favorite funnymen, known to his famous peers as the “comedian’s comedian.”

Martin Short takes you on a rich, hilarious, and occasionally heartbreaking ride through his life and times, from his early years in Toronto as a member of the fabled improvisational troupe Second City to the all-American comic big time of Saturday Night Live and memorable roles in movies such as ¡Three Amigos! and Father of the Bride. He reveals how he created his most indelible comedic characters, among them the manic man-child Ed Grimley, the slimy corporate lawyer Nathan Thurm, and the bizarrely insensitive interviewer Jiminy Glick. Throughout, Short freely shares the spotlight with friends, colleagues, and collaborators, including Steve Martin, Tom Hanks, Gilda Radner, Mel Brooks, Nora Ephron, Eugene Levy, Catherine O’Hara, Paul Shaffer, and David Letterman.

But there is another side to Short’s life that he has long kept private. He lost his eldest brother and both of his parents by the time he turned twenty, and, more recently, he lost his wife of thirty years to cancer. In I Must Say, Short talks for the first time about the pain that these losses inflicted and the upbeat life philosophy that has kept him resilient and carried him through. In the grand tradition of comedy legends, Martin Short offers a show business memoir densely populated with boldface names and rife with retellable tales: a hugely entertaining yet surprisingly moving self-portrait that will keep you laughing—and crying—from the first page to the last.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible