How to Grow Up: A Memoir by Michelle Tea

How to Grow Up: A Memoir

by Michelle Tea

A memoir about a free spirited lady as she begins to settle down in her late thirties and early forties. In her youth there was alcohol, drugs and sexual experimentation along with other excesses. She lives in virtual poverty for years as a struggling writer. Eventually through AA and in my opinion just maturing as she ages she gains a new outlook on life without losing her independent and unique nature. This is her fourth memoir and what I wonder is if she repackaging a lot of information from her previous books. Ultimately, how many books can a person write about themselves. ( )
  muddyboy | Aug 31, 2015 |
This book was billed as "hilarious" however I never even really found it amusing. While the author is a talented writer, the stories she merely eludes to in this book are the ones I wish she would have written about more comprehensively than the subject matter she ended up choosing. In her past life she was a promiscuous drug addict...where are those stories? I want to hear about a train wreck, not someone who is touting the merits of moisturizing. I gather from her stories that perhaps she has written other books that may contain these stories, but this particular book is about her new-found grown-up life with her current wife and their struggle to get pregnant. While I'm happy the author has pulled through a very difficult period of her life and now feels like a grown-up, I don't feel like this is a story that I really cared to have read. I do thank the publisher, though, for giving me the opportunity to read this book via a First Reads contest. ( )
  mandersj73 | Apr 27, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved this book. I can't believe I hadn't read any of Michelle Tea's work before. I could relate so so much. I am the same age, I was a working class Polish kid, a teenage punk and an angry young feminist. I'm still a feminist but less angry and more hopeful. I still dye my hair pink and blue and green. I struggle with not really feeling like a grown up sometimes. This book helped me to realize I'm doing alright and gave me a couple ideas for more growth (meditation--I'm trying it). I really enjoyed this read and plan to buy more of Michelle Tea's work. ( )
  amberalicia | Apr 23, 2015 |
This memoir is startling on many levels. It's the first I've read by a bisexual. I have heard younger people say that they fall in love based on the person, not the gender, and this is the truth for Michelle Tea. Hooray for everyone who is that flexible! Tea also has a hardscrabble upbringing in Chelsea, MA - in the type of family where anyone who transcends their environment is upbraided for "getting above themselves'. Quite poisonous. She escapes to become a drug addict and prostitute, oh joy, frying pan into the fire. Tea is brutally honest about her downfall and her recovery, with minimal self pity and a strong sense of self-awareness. Happily, the advice she offers is not applied too thickly. Not a bad read but not really inspiring to me. I compare it to Portia de Rossi's memoir and liked that one much better. ( )
  froxgirl | Apr 2, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
How To Grow Up was a funny, gritty, but erratic read. I laughed out loud, nodded my head in agreement and applauded the smart and gusty wisdom of Michelle Tea who doles out advice for anyone who wants to make serious and lasting change. I especially enjoyed reading about her relationship to money and sex and how that changed over the years.Yet, I was alienated by her focus on fashion, Botox, moisturizing, engagement rings and how she used her hardscrabble childhood to justify some of the choices she makes now. We all have our passions, serious and frivolous yet by 3/4 of the way into the book I was just not that interested. So, a mixed bag. Funny, insightful, at times heart-rendering and at the same time I became increasingly bored and disaffected by the shallow interests of the author. ( )
  Karen59 | Feb 10, 2015 |

Michelle Teaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniller, LydiaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirch, Eve L.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miceli, JayaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Michelle Tea's book How to Grow Up was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible