Straight to Hell: True Tales of Deviance,…

Straight to Hell: True Tales of Deviance, Debauchery, and Billion-Dollar…

by John LeFevre

Started out funny, but I just lost interest. :(
  LiteraryW | Mar 19, 2018 |
Animal House meets Wall Street. I stopped reading about 60% through the book. The stories got tiring. Sex, drugs, pranks and a lot of bad behavior. I did enjoy some of the aphorisms at the start of each chapter like " Statistically speaking, you shouldn't worry about what your first wife's mother looks like." ( )
  writemoves | Jan 30, 2017 |
A good read. .LeFevre does not grow at all in the book, which is a rude commentary on the life of a bond guy who heads up various syndicates. I knew many of these jerks when I was in the business from 1967 to 2002; I never knew why I was invited to some dinners, and now I know; they all wore bespoke English clothes, and I envied them enormously. He ends up as Goldman's head of Asia, but I assume he is now out of the business. The #Goldman Sachs elevator comments are priceless. ( )
  annbury | Aug 9, 2016 |
I've been postponing this review for a few weeks already. I just don't like writing negative reviews, full stop. I never have enough to say. In a nutshell: while there are a few funny moments, this book has no substance.

I went along with it because it was on audio and it was easy to switch off, but my experience was less than satisfactory. And it had nothing to do with the narrator, who did a very good job.

First of all, for a memoir there are hardly any timelines, and mostly it reads like a collection of crazy stories from the author's past in Hong Kong. Not only it's a non-linear plot, it's mostly repeated fluff: dirty deals, waste of corporate expenses on stupid high end drinks and food in the restaurants, pranks in the style of private school boys and lots and lots of coke and women.

The style is sardonic, condescending, misogynistic and really tiring. You don't really get anything substantial from the main character's life or his personality, there is no sense of his co-workers or anything beyond the topics I mentioned above. I giggled in few places, but other than that I was unimpressed.

Listen at your own peril. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
So here we have the life of an international finance player during the hay days of the shenanigans and debauchery that led to the great economic meltdown of this current era. Lefevere working for one of the international investment banks in London and then Hong Kong gives an "insider view" of all the mayhem,misadventure, blood, and gore of the hard living, hard drinking, hard drugging young players of this financial playground. From this first rate BS artist you may get some chuckles on the stories of which some may be true, or certainly enhanced. But on balance it is the deliverance of this fantasy world that kind of sums up why we are so distrustful of these financial types in the first place. ( )
  knightlight777 | Nov 2, 2015 |

“Some chick asked me what I would do with 10 million bucks. I told her I’d wonder where the rest of my money went.”—@GSElevator

Over the past three years, the notorious @GSElevator Twitter feed has offered a hilarious, shamelessly voyeuristic look into the real world of international finance. Hundreds of thousands followed the account, Goldman Sachs launched an internal investigation, and when the true identity of the man behind it all was revealed, it created a national media sensation—but that’s only part of the story.

Where @GSElevator captured the essence of the banking elite with curated jokes and submissions overheard by readers, Straight to hell adds John LeFevre’s own story—an unapologetic and darkly funny account of a career as a globe-conquering investment banker spanning New York, London, and Hong Kong. Straight to Hell pulls back the curtain on a world that is both hated and envied, taking readers from the trading floors and roadshows to private planes and after-hours overindulgence. Full of shocking lawlessness, boyish antics, and win-at-all-costs schemes, this is the definitive take on the deviant, dysfunctional, and absolutely excessive world of finance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:35 -0400)

"Over the past three years, the notorious @GSElevator Twitter feed has offered a hilarious, shamelessly voyeuristic look into the real world of international finance. Hundreds of thousands followed the account, Goldman Sachs launched an internal investigation, and when the true identity of the man behind it all was revealed, it created a national media sensation--but that's only part of the story. Where @GSElevator captured the essence of the banking elite with curated jokes and submissions overheard by readers, Straight to hell adds John LeFevre's own story--an unapologetic and darkly funny account of a career as a globe-conquering investment banker spanning New York, London, and Hong Kong. Straight to Hell pulls back the curtain on a world that is both hated and envied, taking readers from the trading floors and roadshows to private planes and after-hours overindulgence. Full of shocking lawlessness, boyish antics, and win-at-all-costs schemes, this is the definitive take on the deviant, dysfunctional, and absolutely excessive world of finance,"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,443,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible