The Fall by John Lescroart
12011100,400 (3.85)3

Since I am a retired social worker, I found this interesting and the author did his homework. ( )
  NanaDebs | Jan 9, 2017 |
From The Book:
Late one night, a seventeen-year-old African American foster child Tanya Morgan falls from the overpass above San Francisco’s Stockton tunnel, landing on the windshield of a car driving on the street below. She is killed instantly. But did she fall...or was she pushed?

My Thoughts:
Rebecca is the star of the show, as she struggles to put together a defense, and then learns the ropes of presenting that defense in Court. The court room scenes are well done and you find that you are becoming frustrated with the justice system and the way it works. The narrative is dynamic and interesting alternating among the different characters and their particular perspective about the case. I thought how it was going to resolve and I was wrong about my early assessment but not disappointment by the outcome. I highly recommend this series for all court room drama buffs. ( )
  Carol420 | Aug 10, 2016 |
Featuring Dismas Hardy and his daughter, Rebecca

legal thriller ....2015..."a school teacher who was in the wrong place at the wrong time?"
... San Francisco based extension of Dismas Hardy/Abe Glitsky series.
". Lescroart has done well in passing the torch from Dismas Hardy to Rebecca Hardy.
Dismas will certainly be around- as he has a prominent role in the book.
But Rebecca is the star of the show, as she struggles to put together a defense, and then learns the ropes of presenting that defense in Court." [A. Finch (Amazon)]” ( )
  pennsylady | Feb 11, 2016 |
I have been a big fan of John Lescroart's legal thrillers featuring Dismas Hardy. In this book he features Dismas' daughter, Rebecca, now grown up and an associate in Hardy’s law firm.

Late one night, a teenage African American foster child named Tanya Morgan plummets to her death from the overpass above San Francisco’s Stockton tunnel. Did she fall by accident, was she pushed or was it suicide? Pushing to produce a convictable suspect in the glare of the media spotlight, homicide inspectors focus their attention on a naïve young man named Greg Treadway. Greg is a middle school teacher and he volunteers as a Special Advocate for foster children. At first, the only thing connecting him to Tanya’s death is the fact that they shared a meal earlier that night. But soon enough, elements of that story seem to fall apart but Rebecca finds herself drawn into the young man’s defense.

By the time Greg’s murder trial gets underway, Dismas and Rebecca have unearthed several other theories about the crime: a missing stepfather who’d sexually assaulted her; a roommate who ran a call girl service; a psychologically unstable birth mother; and a mysterious homeless man who may have had dealings with Tanya. Or Greg Treadway himself, who is perhaps not all that he first appeared.

I really enjoyed the book but hope Lescroart continues to focus on the great characters of the Dismas Hardy series (Abe Glitsky, Wes Farrell, Devin Juhle, etc) and leaves Rebecca in the background. I like her, but I like the others even better. If you enjoy courtroom thrillers you'll definitely want to pick this up. Even though the characters are part of a long running series this book works as a stand alone novel.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Seventeen-year-old foster child Anlya Paulson plummets from a bridge onto a busy San Francisco freeway dying on impact. The police are presented with several possible scenarios: suicide, accident, or murder. Shortly before her death Anlya had been having dinner with a 27-year-old social worker, Greg Treadway, and the two seemed much cozier than they should be. During their dinner Anlya suddenly jumped up from the table and ran from the restaurant and Greg followed soon after. People heard their continuing argument on the bridge overpass and although no one saw the accident happen Greg is quickly arrested for the crime. Attorney Dismas Hardy's daughter Rebecca, now a lawyer herself, takes on Greg's case although she is not totally convinced of his innocence. Rebecca becomes aware of other potential suspects but convincing the court that the police rushed to judgment on Greg because he is white and Anlya was black is an impossible task. With her father's help Rebecca fights to defend Greg even when his possible guilt is becoming more real.

I've been a fan of Lescroart for quite a few years now and this book did not disappoint. I think Rebecca will be a great addition to the series just as long as the author lets Dismas and his cohorts tag along for the ride.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |

Working to defend a middle-school teacher who has been wrongly implicated in the death of a foster teen, lawyer Rebecca Hardy and her father, Dismas, risk their careers to investigate four other suspects.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible